new pc

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#31 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

izzy wizzy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:13 pm That's the type of M2 drive I have. The thing seems super fast. Quite a revelation.
One really interesting stat for me is TBW - essentially how much data can be written to the drive before it's expected to fail.

A lot are in the 180-300 TBW (about 5 years of use for a normal user), but the Crucial P5+ is 1200TBW and 6600MB/sR/5000MB/sW - quite insane numbers. The 2TB one is about £100 more than a normal NVMe M.2 2TB, but it seems that it'd be difficult to get it to fail.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#32 Re: new pc

Post by ed »

just after lunch the postie called. He had 2 packets from parcelforce, one in a jiffy bag and one in a folded plastic band.
guess what!!they both had an m2 ssd in them......go figure!

I emailed the girl from ebuyer who sorted the problem on Friday and explained....I expected her to say Oh well just keep the duplicate, but no, she's sending a courier to pick it up. go figure again!!!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#33 Re: new pc

Post by ed »

well..this goes like a Norse saga...

Built the machine on monday evening. Joined the microsoft insider program and down loaded dev version of win 11 which immediately updated to build 22572.

Loaded a copy of office 2016(only one I could lay my hands on...and everything worked except word. Every time I tried to load word the machine hung. Idid right click on the desktop and selected new word doc from the menu and it created a new file and hung...

when I say hung, the taskbar disappeared and the only way forward was to reboot...this happened for various reasons. I surmised that the office load was corrupt but I did get win 11 to hang for other reasons...

so far I'm not a fan.

I've loaded win 10 and bought a copy of office 2019 from amazon.
configuring outlook from office 2019 was another story(completely different interface to office 2007) and I had to resort to calling ISP support(how embarrasing), only to find they were well experienced with my problem...seems everybody upgrading to office 2019 from a previous version reaches a brick wall configuring pop/smtp servers....

happy days

no word from ebuyer regarding picking up the duplicate M2 card...perhaps I will get to keep it.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#34 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

My understanding is that LibreOffice has no email client and so you have to use something like Mozilla Thunderbird.

Further, Thunderbird doesn't have native understanding of PST files, so you need to install Thunderbird on your old machine which has Outlook and then import into Thunderbird there - Thunderbird uses SimpleMAPI calls to Outlook to do the import - you can then move the Thunderbird files across.

An extra complication is that Thunderbird is a 32 bit application and can't access 64-bit PST files this way.

However, this is a common problem and I'm sure that there will be tools out there for this.
ed
retired

#35 Re: new pc

Post by ed »

not sure who your post is aimed at Nick.

for info...I obviously copied the old pst file onto the new machine and pointed outlook 2019 to it.
ed wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:27 pm I've loaded win 10 and bought a copy of office 2019 from amazon.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#36 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:07 am not sure who your post is aimed at Nick.

for info...I obviously copied the old pst file onto the new machine and pointed outlook 2019 to it.
ed wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:27 pm I've loaded win 10 and bought a copy of office 2019 from amazon.
Honestly, nor am I!!!

I was replying to a post in another forum (so I thought!)

Bizarre!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#37 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

New machine has arrived. It's got a glass side... and it's all VERY black...
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: new pc

Post by IslandPink »

Saucy !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#39 Re: new pc

Post by Paul Barker »

jack wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:19 am
ed wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:07 am not sure who your post is aimed at Nick.

Honestly, nor am I!!!

I was replying to a post in another forum (so I thought!)

Bizarre!
iphones do this, someone sends you a text, you reply to them; Apple send the reply to the last person you texted, not the person who just texted you……. Stay allert!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: new pc

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:20 pmSaucy !
See-through and black - what's not to like .. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#41 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

Configuring a new PC after 9 years of a heavily-tailored old one is a mission-and-a-half.

Kind of cathartic, though :)

Major pain at the moment is that I can't VNC into my old PC to get stuff off it as VNC has a bug with Windows 10 that if the PC is headless, i.e. you've unplugged all the monitors, then VNC just displays a black screen even if the PC still has its video card and is running just fine. F&£^¬**£k

It's very fast. 57GB backed up to SAN in under 4 minutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#42 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

Found a workaround to the vnc issue...

Plugged one of the screen outputs into an unused HDMI port of one of the monitors on the new pc.

Even though that port on the monitor is never selected, the old pc still thinks that it now has a screen and allows vnc to work.