GM70

What people are working on at the moment
JamesD
Old Hand

#31 Re: GM70

Post by JamesD »

JAC does a GM70 into GM70 driving GM70 via an interstage (Lundhal) and raves about its sound - shades of Sakuma :D

The PX-4s I've heard are lovely but I agree that PX-25 seems to pip it. Not heard many PX-25 amps - wish I had heard more...

You certainly have some lovely options!

On the sound of 6s4s - its the 70s ones that sound best and they are not at their best at 2A3 op points... at least to my ears but as always with valves it YMMV :-)
ed
retired

#32 Re: GM70

Post by ed »

The bass players usually sit at the back of the class, speshly the thick ones like me...so here goes...

intrigued by the mention of new PX4s, I was wondering why when the whole valve scene seems to have shrunk in the last 20 years. To organise a start-up in a market thats shrinking/shrunk struck me as a whim, but then I thought it might be possible to start up a revival and target the boutique market who still beleive in the old gods. Maybe the whole thing will turn full circle prematurely.

Anyway for my money I have to fess up, I couldn't tell the difference so I really shouldn't contribute.

I bought some shuguang 2A3Cs back in the day and thought them very nice. I still have a pair of NOS which I was hanging onto to sell with the 2A3 srpp as spares, which I still haven't disposed of.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#33 Re: GM70

Post by simon »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:04 am Now then young Simon ( patronising air... sniggers), am I showing off!?!
You can get away with many things if you call me young again :-D. Doesn't happen often these days.

If it was a monoplate yes, you'd be showing off :-P
Last edited by simon on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#34 Re: GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

JamesD wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:39 am JAC does a GM70 into GM70 driving GM70 via an interstage (Lundhal) and raves about its sound - shades of Sakuma :D

The PX-4s I've heard are lovely but I agree that PX-25 seems to pip it. Not heard many PX-25 amps - wish I had heard more...

You certainly have some lovely options!

On the sound of 6s4s - its the 70s ones that sound best and they are not at their best at 2A3 op points... at least to my ears but as always with valves it YMMV :-)
Oh booger, just when I thought I’d thought it through!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#35 Re: GM70

Post by simon »

Paul Barker wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:12 am Im not saying the 2a3’s Simon suggests arent just as good for the task.
There were some really good points in your post Paul. I'm not sure I would use 2A3 as a driver though, the driver does contribute a lot to the overall sound and as good as a 2A3 can be I think there are better options. 45 or 10Y perhaps for DHT, 12GN7 or 5687 for an easier heated driver. If I had PX?? I'd be using them as outputs anyway, but all of Steve's PX amps have been magnificent.

It would be interesting to hear GM70 driving GM70, though it might be too much of a good thing. For me, copper GM70 at 550V HT blows away all the 45/2A3/300B amps I've built.

I'll always have a 2A3 amp though :-)
Paul Barker

#36 Re: GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

ed wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:43 am The bass players usually sit at the back of the class, speshly the thick ones like me...so here goes...

intrigued by the mention of new PX4s, I was wondering why when the whole valve scene seems to have shrunk in the last 20 years. To organise a start-up in a market thats shrinking/shrunk struck me as a whim, but then I thought it might be possible to start up a revival and target the boutique market who still beleive in the old gods. Maybe the whole thing will turn full circle prematurely.

Anyway for my money I have to fess up, I couldn't tell the difference so I really shouldn't contribute.

I bought some shuguang 2A3Cs back in the day and thought them very nice. I still have a pair of NOS which I was hanging onto to sell with the 2A3 srpp as spares, which I still haven't disposed of.
In case someone hasn’t noticed I’m making a stand for how I remember it when a greater proportion of us here were on same page. I’m not changing.

There will always be a market for these ways while there are people with loads of money are buying Gakuons et al.

Peter has gone a long way after I spent a day with him. Time has treated AN well since them days. But I’ve always valued that day. I could have bought in and it would have been a great investment. But I would never have got wife’s approval.

However over the course of time I could compete.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#37 Re: GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

simon wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:08 pm
Paul Barker wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:12 am Im not saying the 2a3’s Simon suggests arent just as good for the task.
There were some really good points in your post Paul. I'm not sure I would use 2A3 as a driver though, the driver does contribute a lot to the overall sound and as good as a 2A3 can be I think there are better options. 45 or 10Y perhaps for DHT, 12GN7 or 5687 for an easier heated driver. If I had PX?? I'd be using them as outputs anyway, but all of Steve's PX amps have been magnificent.

It would be interesting to hear GM70 driving GM70, though it might be too much of a good thing. For me, copper GM70 at 550V HT blows away all the 45/2A3/300B amps I've built.

I'll always have a 2A3 amp though :-)
The elephant in the room for a Sukuma version is I can’t afford the required Iron. I think 10y / 801a is the one valve for two stages in front of gm70 but one word, transformer! Yes romantic to use such valves but don’t be a fool and ignore physics.
Nick
Site Admin

#38 Re: GM70

Post by Nick »

In case someone hasn’t noticed I’m making a stand for how I remember it when a greater proportion of us here were on same page. I’m not changing.
That does assume that no one has done anything to further where we were then and reached different conclusions which led to other choices.
Good luck with that one, its cute you seem to feel its (the success of Audio Note UK) anything to do with the sound quality and technical decisions involved.
Peter has gone a long way after I spent a day with him.
To counter with my own shameless name drop, having had dinner with the current chairman of AN Japan there is more than one side to that story.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#39 Re: GM70

Post by simon »

Paul Barker wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:16 pm The elephant in the room for a Sukuma version is I can’t afford the required Iron. I think 10y / 801a is the one valve for two stages in front of gm70 but one word, transformer! Yes romantic to use such valves but don’t be a fool and ignore physics.
Yes the compromises can be significant when costs are considered. I had Bud Purvine wind me some ITs for 10Y to drive 300B and the amp was very good. But 12GN7 as triode with simple LC coupling to copper GM70 with separate PS for driver and output is so much better. And simpler, albeit heading in to boat anchor territory.
Paul Barker

#40 Re: GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:18 pm
That does assume that no one has done anything to further where we were then and reached different conclusions which led to other choices.
Good luck with that one, its cute you seem to feel its (the success of Audio Note UK) anything to do with the sound quality and technical decisions involved.
Peter has gone a long way after I spent a day with him.
To counter with my own shameless name drop, having had dinner with the current chairman of AN Japan there is more than one side to that story.
For the record I wasnt name dropping, its necessary to say who where what why and when. Its not something I havent made public before. You read it as name dropping, that says more about you. Also I know other sides to the story too but am not at liberty to say. Finally I didnt mean to imply compete in that sense youve taken it. I should have been clearer. I can compete in the market if I decide to.
Paul Barker

#41 Re: GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

simon wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:32 pm
Paul Barker wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:16 pm The elephant in the room for a Sukuma version is I can’t afford the required Iron. I think 10y / 801a is the one valve for two stages in front of gm70 but one word, transformer! Yes romantic to use such valves but don’t be a fool and ignore physics.
Yes the compromises can be significant when costs are considered. I had Bud Purvine wind me some ITs for 10Y to drive 300B and the amp was very good. But 12GN7 as triode with simple LC coupling to copper GM70 with separate PS for driver and output is so much better. And simpler, albeit heading in to boat anchor territory.
fook
Nick
Site Admin

#42 Re: GM70

Post by Nick »

I havent made public before.
No, I agree, many times.
I can compete in the market if I decide to.
I think that was exactly the way I read it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#43 Re: GM70

Post by simon »

Paul Barker wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:20 pm fook
When I wrote that post I did wonder if it might have a negative affect, I really didn't mean to. I don't have enough experience to comment on ITs - I suspect my perceived superiority of the GM70 amp over the 300B et al is largely down to the output valve (and PS) as much as the coupling method (coppers sound quite different to graphites in the same amp). An IT coupled driver might sound better than the LC I'm using perhaps. And anyway, if everyone thought the sound I like is the best there wouldn't be any coppers left.
Paul Barker

#44 Re: GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

Im really getting worried about my pair of gm70 silver collet valve bases with two tubes. I dont watch the news intentionally, but Ive seen glimpses. Is something happening in the Eastern block?

Paul Barker

#45 Re: GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

The toilet role scene was the back of my house, my route from Tescos on foot. I saw this man and WTV the toilet roll people are out and about again! Something must be going on.

I’m upset about the valves based and valves. Russian Post might not be able to send them?

My usual perfect time to order from Russia bright ideas. But it was the 15th. Something big is going on over there. Anyway I’ll take the loss if nothing turns up.