Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12886 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:10 am command prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
Yep that's the kiddie. :thumbleft:

Windows button > search > type "command", select Command Prompt, run as administrator

All that happens is that the browser has to rewrite the DNS list.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12887 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:46 pm
pre65 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 pm Every now and then Malwarebytes lets me "trial" the pay for version.

This time it keeps telling me "website blocked due to Trojan" when I search on Google. The culprit seems to be "mickloid.xyz" but I can't find out much about it. :?

When my free trial ends do I need to worry ?
Google 'mickloid.xyz'

Example:

dictionaryext.xyz - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs ...
https: // blog.malwarebytes.com › Detection Types
The domain dictionaryext.xyz is blocked by Malwarebytes because it is a search hijacker that delivers a forced Firefox extension.

You may need to delete your DNS.

With Firefox I could do a complete refresh, which returns it to defaults. I think I've done this twice.

A little warning about malwarebytes - the free version is great, but I made the mistake of buying the pro version. Don't do it. :shock: It totally takes over your computer so everything is reeeaaally slooowww presumably because it's checking everything to see if it's OK. But it takes too long! :(
XYZ is a perfectly legitimate TLD. You Googled "mickloid.xyz" then referenced a link about a completely different domain, "dictionaryext.xyz". It's about as connected as google.com and xvideos.com...

The key thing about mickloid.xyz is that it was only created very recently and is likely to be suspect - why it's being referenced at all is what needs to be identified first... There is no point in looking at its IP address as it's a virtual host on a shared IPv4 address hosted by Cloudflare - there are several 100 domains sharing the same address.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12888 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I tried that but it had no effect. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Michael L
Old Hand

#12889 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:45 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:30 pm Knipex pliers at a good price

At the risk of someone telling me I could have bought something twice as good for half the price these seem much cheaper than anywhere else I've checked. The dreaded Amazon I'm afraid.
Thought you were ex BT. Where’s ‘yer 81s? :wink:
The tips don't quite meet- I see they are Knipex. They've had too much abuse I'm embarrassed to admit.

Any tips for removing solder from small component holes in pcbs? I can get rid of most with a solder sucker and braid but the rather small holes still retain some solder. I've been messing about with a needle and heating a resistor lead as I push and pull. I suppose I need a good desoldering pump with a strong vacuum.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12890 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Michael L wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm
Any tips for removing solder from small component holes in pcbs?
Yup, I support the PCB vertically, put iron tip on one side of the through-hole you're trying to unblock, heat carefully the pad then solder-suck out from the otherside. If that doesn't do it I usually ADD a tiny bit more solder to the hole you're trying to unblock, the extra solder often melts the bit that wont clear and when you apply the solder sucker the whole lot often comes out.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12891 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

That's like fighting fire with fire !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#12892 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Michael L wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm Any tips for removing solder from small component holes in pcbs? I can get rid of most with a solder sucker and braid but the rather small holes still retain some solder. I've been messing about with a needle and heating a resistor lead as I push and pull. I suppose I need a good desoldering pump with a strong vacuum.
Heat is your enemy so you need to work quickly and avoid repeated attempts. Normally I find a good quality solder sucker does the job using the technique Mr. Bass described of applying the soldering iron one side and the solder sucker the other. If I think there is a danger of the copper coming off the board, very easy to do with very small pads and thin tracks, I will use a pin-vice and a micro-drillbit - tedious but it works - select your drill size by passing it through smilar pads elsewhere on the board and remember you may want to keep at least some of the through-hole plating intact so better to drill the hole slightly smaller than the original.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Michael L
Old Hand

#12893 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Thanks for tips on clearing stubborn solder remnants. I was a bit careless with five colour band resistors the other day fitting eight 1k resistors instead of 100r - all browns and blacks but not necessarily in the right order DOH.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12894 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Stainless steel wire or a sewing needle - solder doesn't stick to it, so just heat the via and stick the SS object in there - quick and it stops the pads coming off. Works every time and clears any crud left in the via too, e.g. remains of a snipped-off component leg etc.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Michael L
Old Hand

#12895 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

I've just ordered a new solder sucker. It seems well thought of with it's flexible silicon tube.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/sold ... ow-reviews
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12896 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

I use a silicone nozzle sucker like that at work, takes a bit of getting used to using a bendy wobbly one when you're used to a stiff one (cue DTB) but it does work well I must say.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ant
Shed dweller

#12897 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Couldnt you just shove a bit of silicone air line over the end of a normal solder sucker?
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Michael L
Old Hand

#12898 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Michael L wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:30 pm Knipex pliers at a good price

At the risk of someone telling me I could have bought something twice as good for half the price these seem much cheaper than anywhere else I've checked. The dreaded Amazon I'm afraid.
Received said pliers today. Oh dear - are they second quality? Some marks left unpolished on one jaw and tips observed from end on together but set at slight angle of rotation. They will be going back. Despite this I was so pleased with the overall build I have ordered a pair from Rapid at full price. Fingers crossed.
Neal
Shed dweller

#12899 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Teeth. My saga continues. 4 weeks ago I finally got a core filling done, yay. Tuesday I went back to have the prep done for the crown, wow. I was in there for an hour as my dentist ground down the remains of my lower left molar, everything about this sodding tooth has been a PIA. Finally done and the final appointment made for the 19th May then the temporary gloop used to cover the stump of a tooth gave way as I cleaned my teeth this morning...It has to be re-glooped ! Think I’ve had enough of this.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12900 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Good grief .. :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."