Money for nothing!

Subjects that don't have their own home
iansr
Old Hand

#1 Money for nothing!

Post by iansr »

Well, for doing not very much anyway: If you are a member of DIYA you will have received an email about this -
https://diyaudiostore.com/pages/vfet-information-page

I’d like buy this kit but its going to be massively oversubscribed, so I’d like to increase my chances. So this is aimed at anyone who is not interested in buying the kit for themselves. If you enter the lottery as a proxy for me and you win a kit, I will give you £50 as a reward. To enter all you need to do is make a post in the relevant thread between 9pm and 9:15pm UK time on 7th April. Winners will be notified within 24 hrs and must order within 72 hrs. If you win I will pay you in full plus the £50 before you order so that you have zero financial exposure. (Winning does not commit you to buying.)

For the avoidance of doubt, the amp will be for my personal use - I have NO intention of flipping it for a profit.
"Its good enough for Government work."
ed
retired

#2 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by ed »

good luck Ian!

I hope Jason has built in some slack for the server, s'gonna be a busy 15 mins.
The announcement thread went to 40 pages in just over 2 days.

having thought a bit more about it....a lot of the peeps that were interested in spending $400+ on the vfet have already done so..perhaps the market is near saturated.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
iansr
Old Hand

#3 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by iansr »

Thanks Ed. I think a lot of people are going to have a go at this so the odds will not be good . . . .
iansr
Old Hand

#4 Tonight’s the night

Post by iansr »

Just a reminder that the lottery thread will open tonight in the Pass forum at 9pm for 15 mins.
Michael L
Old Hand

#5 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by Michael L »

Edited. Not cricket is it?
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iansr
Old Hand

#6 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by iansr »

Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:40 pm Unbelievable
?
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by Nick »

perhaps the market is near saturated.
1500 entrants. The cynic in me sees this as a very good way of Nelson getting stock of the shelf :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Michael L
Old Hand

#8 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by Michael L »

Mr Pass seems very keen on passing on his knowledge to the diy fraternity. I would suggest his motives are completely altruistic and profits are going to charity anyway.
I'm rather interested in having the chance to build one of these too and perhaps there are other AT members who have like myself entered the draw.
iansr
Old Hand

#9 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by iansr »

Well for those of us who have entered there will be another chance in a few months with improved odds, albeit still not very good odds. I think the enormous interest in the VFETs arises because they are the closest thing you can get to a triode in a SS device.
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by Nick »

Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:46 pm Mr Pass seems very keen on passing on his knowledge to the diy fraternity. I would suggest his motives are completely altruistic and profits are going to charity anyway.
Oh, I am sure all that is true, but it can be true and also get the excess stock off his shelf.

"are being offered at-cost by Nelson Pass".
I think the enormous interest in the VFETs arises because they are the closest thing you can get to a triode in a SS device.
Again, just to be cynical, they may be the closest, but still a long way away. Personally, I think they have enormous interest because of posts on diy forums about them.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Michael L
Old Hand

#11 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by Michael L »

Nick wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:21 pm
Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:46 pm Mr Pass seems very keen on passing on his knowledge to the diy fraternity. I would suggest his motives are completely altruistic and profits are going to charity anyway.
Oh, I am sure all that is true, but it can be true and also get the excess stock off his shelf.

I think the enormous interest in the VFETs arises because they are the closest thing you can get to a triode in a SS device.
Again, just to be cynical, they may be the closest, but still a long way away. Personally, I think they have enormous interest because of posts on diy forums about them.
I haven't yet had the opportunity to hear an amplifier using VFETs, though I am building one using the Tokin THF 51. In which areas would you say they remain inferior in SQ to a good SET or other valve amp Nick?
iansr
Old Hand

#12 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by iansr »

Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:40 pm Edited. Not cricket is it?
Correct, its not cricket, its a lottery.
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by Nick »

Michael L wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 am
Nick wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:21 pm

I haven't yet had the opportunity to hear an amplifier using VFETs, though I am building one using the Tokin THF 51. In which areas would you say they remain inferior in SQ to a good SET or other valve amp Nick?
Like you I have no idea, but I never said I did. What I said was they were nothing like triodes. I didn't mention sound quality. I will turn the question back. How do they sound better than say a mofo and why?
ed
retired

#14 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by ed »

ooh ooh ooh

I am truly surprised to see this opinion based debate resurface here...
the comparison can never be resolved regarding SQ..inferior/superior...piffle I say, and I'm always right!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Michael L
Old Hand

#15 Re: Money for nothing!

Post by Michael L »

Nick - I misinterpreted your sentence ' Again, just to be cynical, they may be the closest, but still a long way away'.
I read this as 'still inferior'

I don't know about the Mofo. Will read up