General Raspberry Pi stuff

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#136 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Nick »

Maybe I missed the memo where people don't want to have a conversation, but just want to make announcements?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#137 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:04 pm Maybe I missed the memo where people don't want to have a conversation, but just want to make announcements?
I was going to write something like...that's way above my pay grade and add a snigger...but I thought you knew me better and I thought it would be taken as read......

mea culpa
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#138 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:04 pm Maybe I missed the memo where people don't want to have a conversation, but just want to make announcements?
“The ironist is ironical not because he does not care, but because he cares too much.”
― Randolph Bourne, The Radical Will: Selected Writings 1911-1918
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#139 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:26 pm
I was going to write something like...that's way above my pay grade and add a snigger...but I thought you knew me better and I thought it would be taken as read......

mea culpa
Maybe, but having upset Mike in a similar way I was starting to wonder if it was me.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#140 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Maybe, but having upset Mike in a similar way I was starting to wonder if it was me.
Aw, perish the thought, no need to wonder..it's definitely you....

snigger
Nick
Site Admin

#141 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:04 pm
Nick wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Aw, perish the thought, no need to wonder..it's definitely you....

snigger
That's a relief.
Neal
Shed dweller

#142 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

just bought one of these to use on my Pi4, at the price it was a no brainer as they say......

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#143 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Neal wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:17 pm just bought one of these to use on my Pi4, at the price it was a no brainer as they say......

Interesting. The Crucial (aka Micron) BX500, which I use is now only a quid more... Mad pricing.

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#144 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

I took my eye off the ball for a while.....got to blame the lockdown....

so I thought I'd better refresh...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/ ... y-pi-4-usb

I think I'll order one before it slips out of my mind again.
Neal
Shed dweller

#145 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

if you don’t have a desktop environment installed there’s a script on the first post of this thread that will copy the uSD to SSD....

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=196778
ed
retired

#146 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

I've just updated my pi4 to boot from ssd using one of these:

and one of these:

I wish I'd read Neal's post before doing this as it was an absolute nightmare of a job.

I partitioned and formatted the ssd drive and mounted it ok but couldn't clone the sd card onto it...so following the accepted method on various websites I down loaded and installed a new image onto the ssd card...

after updating the eeprom to allow boot from usb I removed the sd card.......

weeeelll......Pi4 would boot with a monitor and keyboard attached...but it took between 4 and 6 minutes to boot and only booted about 50% of the time. Headless, if it did boot(No real way of knowing) it wouldn't show it self on the network so couldn't ssh into it.

long time the manxsome foe he sought...until finding some arcane info in the darkest corner of the web that suggested usb/ssd booting might be troublesome on a pi4 depending on which make of caddy/ssd was being used, some progress was forthcoming. I discovered that my caddy might be problematic with Pi4. It would seem that some part of the raspian amends to allow usb booting is not quite as robust as it could be.

I finally found the info to edit a fudge into /boot/cmdline.txt which disabled UAS mode and slugged the SSD efficiency. It works!
I understand it slows the SSD but is still a bit quicker than an SD card.....

oh waily...it's only taken the better part of 2 days.....but I selflessly share the experience in case others might fall into mire of despond.
ed
retired

#147 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

I forgot to mention this earlier...
I changed the caddy for a usb sata lead that goes straight into the ssd :

https://tinyurl.com/ydyzrspk

This was on the list of tested connections and did indeed work straight away so I removed the slug from the boot file.

messing with all the test stuff I've got on the pi4 I was impressed with the speed so thought I'd try and stretch it.

I installed wordpress on the lamp stack and started to copy the details of my live website to wordpress on the pi. It proved lightening fast so I ported what I'd got to my live web server for comparison....

I was obviously kicking my heels at the time because I've really made a rod for my back...

bearing in mind that wordpress wont possess all the functionality that I have on my native coded website it's still quite attractive.

having started I'm now compelled to finish...It isn't finished yet and some pages are not populated and some of the image enlargements are not linked but I'm quite please with it so far..it seems fast enough.

anybody remotely interested can see the wordpress version here:

https://www.vitalstates.org/vsl

I'm quite impressed with wordpress in itself...I tried Joomla a few years back and wasn't impressed at all, but it seems things have moved on in the CMS world. I'm sure Joomla is just as impressive....Much web work can be acheived with little effort and there's no need to understand html or css.
Neal
Shed dweller

#148 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

The response is impressive Ed...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#149 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Nice Ed!

Joomla is a very very different CMS to Wordpress - it's designed for large web site with lots of editors who can have controlled access to different parts of the site etc. There's a fantastic level of granularity, plus auditing and a tonne of other stuff. Of course, you can use it for small sites, but generally it's massive overkill.

Apples vs. pears.

Wordpress is cool for small sites.

I use an RPi for my network controller - it runs UniFi and the response is indeed very good. However, remember that's generally for a single user 8)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#150 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »