Cartridge cleaning

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Max N
Old Hand

#1 Cartridge cleaning

Post by Max N »

Thought I'd start a new thread, so it's easier to find in the future.
Question for Ant about his vodka and magic sponge cleaning method.
Do you support the cartridge somehow, or is it just sat on the magic sponge supporting its own weight?
Seems like you are supporting it somehow so just the tip is in the sponge/vodka....
Ummmm, is it still mounted to the arm? That would make sense.

I'm sorted for vodka :D , just need to source the magic sponge
Ant
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Cartridge cleaning

Post by Ant »

Source for the sponge is pound land, it's called magic eraser, a small 10mm cube of it is all that's needed.

I put it in the lid for the little vinyl passion sticky dust thing I have, pour the vodka onto the sponge , just enough so there's a little bit in the lid too.
Then just lower the stylus into it using the lift lower lever on the arm and leave it for a few minutes. Back off the tracking weight abit to say 1.5g ish so the diamond sticks in the sponge but the cantilever sits on the top of it. Don't move it while it's in it.

Others may be aghast at doing this, but there's nothing to lose if the cart is suspect anyway
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Max N
Old Hand

#3 Re: Cartridge cleaning

Post by Max N »

OK, that makes sense now, thanks Ant.
None of the cartridges I'm looking at are mounted, so I may have to rig up a little stand or something. Don't think I can use the mounted method because I don't have a p-mount adapter and it isn't going to work on a linear tracker with the arm in the lid!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Cartridge cleaning

Post by pre65 »

How about one of these ?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Max N
Old Hand

#5 Re: Cartridge cleaning

Post by Max N »

pre65 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:33 pm How about one of these ?
Hmmm, I have one of them - might give it a go, cheers Phil
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Cartridge cleaning

Post by pre65 »

Max N wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:43 pm
pre65 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:33 pm How about one of these ?
Hmmm, I have one of them - might give it a go, cheers Phil
:)

No DIY er should be without one.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
DSJR
User

#7 Re: Cartridge cleaning

Post by DSJR »

What's wrong with AT607 stylus cleaner? Only eleven quid and doesn't seem to leave deposits, the brush is fine enough for all those 'important little places' and this stuff really does get nasty stuff off encrusted diamond styli with no long term ill effects...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1939188121?iid ... gIZf_D_BwE
JohnG
Old Hand

#8 Re: Cartridge cleaning

Post by JohnG »

Any proven liquid cleaner, I assume will suffice.
What Ant is proposing is a method that has been thoroughly investigated following the application.
This will be off additional interest and for me has a appeal, that will become a method I use periodically with the VP Gel as the day to day method.

Also seeing as the cleaning solution is a re-purposed Alcoholic Beverage, it is probably readily available in the home, and in keeping with modern environmental considerations.
The Vodka cleaning solution proposed by Ant, can if consumed in its original intended form, also have a great effect on a individual,
in relation to how they feel the substance is effecting their perceptions of the vinyl replay :drunken: .
This usage would not be recommended from a Branded Purpose Produced Cleaning Solution :pale: .

Disclaimer - Only carry out any cleaning operations at the earliest moments of any Vodka consumption, or after a good nights sleep and a 'Full English' with a few Fried Slices :lol: