custom turntable build

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 custom turntable build

Post by Ant »

finally finished this tt. Its been through several iterations that i wasn't happy with, this one i am happy with.

ImageIMG_20191203_133304 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

The background on this is that it was one of transfi vics early salvation turntables using a diyhifisupply bearing and platter and a teres verus idler motor and psu.

nigel (shaman on here), who commissioned it had some things he wasn't entirely happy about with the sound, namely an edge to the sound that slate gives. I know what he means, my jbe has the same slight hardness to it that the salvation did.

ImageCustom tt, verus idler motor, origin live conqueror mk3c, dynavector dv20x2L by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

The first iteration i did was a skeletal type, i made 4 pods which were joined together with steel rods, one with the arm on, one at the front and one to the left arranged in a triangle with the 4th in the centre with the bearing in. abit like an oracle delphi. more like the idler i built years ago out of an lp12 and a gl69 that some of you may remember. It was crap. bass was loose, and it sounded dull. so i then did a solid plinth that was 4" square by 14" long. basically joined the bearing and arm together. it was better, but there was something off about it.

This one is more conventional than either of the other 2, but blends enough mass with enough damping.

ImageCustom tt, verus idler motor, origin live conqueror mk3c, dynavector dv20x2L by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Next was to get it dialled in once it passed muster. The bearing is an inverted design, i.e, the bearing contact point is at the top rather than the bottom, meaning 90% of the weight of the platter is lower than the contact point which aids stability. I had to play with the height of the drive wheel to get it exactly as i wanted, its driving the platter at the same height as the contact surface so it reduces lateral bearing load to the minimum giving some audible benefits in terms of speed stability and noise.

Also tweaking the drive angle by adjusting where the motor sits gave similar benefits, making sure the motor sits exactly square with the platter and plinth improved speed stability and noise.

Lastly, the position of the motor in line with the arm pivot centre and the bearing centre cleaned up the imaging. That was the idea that dictated the plinth shape. Ive done this before with another custom tt that i did for my dad for his 50th birthday, that one had the motor positioned between the arm and the platter bearing rather than on the outside like this one, and it did have a noticeable benefit in terms of the top end, bass tightness and imaging. Its interesting when the motor is moved. i tried it in a few different positions and it was definitely better in line with the centres.

Got there eventually, and its very even handed top to bottom which is what i wanted.

The arm is a 12" origin live conqueror mk3c, nigel had got a good deal on it but had nothing to put it on, this deck was designed around it. I am not a fan of origin live arms to be honest, they seem to engineer things in a way that is somewhat at odds with my ways of thinking (but they make lots of money off them and i make piss all so who am i to comment :mrgreen: ) but this one is rather nice. similar to martins 12" jelco on his g99 that i did, and the 12" ortofon and jelco on pauls lenco and garrard. Its sound is more precise than those arms, more "hifi" for want of a better word, but it matches with the dynavector dv20x2L thats in it. And i am a big dynavector fan so alls good for me.......

and that clear acrylic platter looks the dogs
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
gninnam
Old Hand

#2 Re: custom turntable build

Post by gninnam »

Like the look of this turntable - good job and pleased you got the sound right :D
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: custom turntable build

Post by IslandPink »

Very nice, Ant.
So is that the earlier or later Verus model ?
I remember that cueing lever, mine doesn't have it - but can't remember if it was something they added later, or something they took off.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#4 Re: custom turntable build

Post by Ant »

I don't know how old the verus is tbh, the cuing lever under the motor is on an milled aluminum plate, I'm not sure wether the part is one that Vic had made specifically for the salvation but it looks like it to me as it matches other salvation parts in terms of finish.
Interestingly the deck sounds more direct drive esque than idler esque, if that makes sense

JohnG
Old Hand

#5 Re: custom turntable build

Post by JohnG »

I like the design and styling.
It is good too, that your tweaking the set up, has offered a satisfying delivery.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: custom turntable build

Post by Mike H »

Shoddy x a billion x infinity. :D
it had some things he wasn't entirely happy about with the sound, namely an edge to the sound that slate gives
Really??

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: custom turntable build

Post by IslandPink »

I was surprised at this, too.
Some of the best sounds I ever heard , at Owston, were from slate-plinthed decks.
Ant
Shed dweller

#8 Re: custom turntable build

Post by Ant »

It's something you notice after a couple of LP's, say an hour or so, a slight hardness to strings and vocals. Nothing is perfect
It does get on your tits after a while.
What I'd like to do is get another jbe in an acrylic plinth and compare the slate and the plastic
Or make an acrylic plinth for the one I've got

izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#9 Re: custom turntable build

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ant wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:23 pm It's something you notice after a couple of LP's, say an hour or so, a slight hardness to strings and vocals. Nothing is perfect
It does get on your tits after a while.
What I'd like to do is get another jbe in an acrylic plinth and compare the slate and the plastic
Or make an acrylic plinth for the one I've got
I thought it was possible to tweak the torque settings to make it a bit less of what you're describing?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: custom turntable build

Post by IslandPink »

There's no hardness associated with running it at full torque or near full torque with the Verus. I tried mine at different settings when I first got it.