Rega R200 rebuild

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
DSJR
User

#16 Re: Rega R200 rebuild

Post by DSJR »

I can only quote individuals based on personal experience, agreeing how different samples of cartridge can require subtle differences in the amount of bias correction over a vaguely nominal average. For many years in our shop, the K9 reigned king at the better-budget end and the Vital diamond profile was a nice proper elliptical I always thought. Those used in Basik LVV/LVX/Basik Plus arms always wore lop-sided when microscope-viewed, these arms offering too much correction as the Rega RB arms also did (Rega admitted it too, as they couldn't get the right strength magnets - I believe it's better these days). The Ittok in all its versions and every one of hundreds that passed through my mitts over the years, offered too little correction (I can't remember the Ekos mk1 and 2 now) and for a 1.7g downforce, one should have set the bias to 3g. Nobody dared vary it from the indicated setting (Linn/Jelco couldn't possibly have got it wrong...) and so some years later, all the Asaks, Karmas and Troikas came back with lop-sided wear on the other side of the diamond to the Basik tonearm models - I can't remember if this was sorted in the Akito and seem to think it was... I'm sorry, it's words from an oldie typed on a page. I'm afraid I was never able to take proper close-up pics to back these words up but still have the microscope used, sadly not the amazing one Dual used to make (S 200 model with x120 magnification I think) and which I used forty years ago.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Rega R200 rebuild

Post by Cressy Snr »

Fitted my Goldring cartridge in the silver perforated Pioneer headshell that came with the arm - not because of any sound quality problems but because I like the authenticity of period looks.

Pleasantly surprised by the silkiness of the sound coming off the turntable now. Very musical but no lack of focus either at the top or bottom end.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.