TT setting up

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 TT setting up

Post by Dave the bass »

I've built a GL75 into a monster ply/trespa mass plinth, it's mounted on to a Sound Organization wall bracket. The arm is an old Decca u/p and the cartridge is a Denon DL103. It's got it's head shell mass loaded with a 6mm lump of Trespa.

I've got the little bubble in the head shell bang in the middle (where it should say the instructions.

It sounds very good IMHO but I get a very slight distortion occasionally that I think is miss-tracking on some records. I've fiddled with the bias/anti skate magnet arrangement and triple checked tracking weight (2.5mg +/-0.3).

I've just made up a simple alignment protractor as shown in the vinyl special edition of HFW back in March 2006. Its a 7mm hole (for the spindle) with 2 further markings on a centre-line at 62mm and 120mm to check inner and outer groove tracking alignment.

I've never really been into the alignment of TT's that deeply as when the kids were little we made do with a naff Pioneer BD TT and CD mostly. Now I've got a bit better set-up I want to get it set up properly like I've heard TT's sounding at WF and EF.

Anything else I can check?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
François
User

Post by François »

Last edited by François on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Thanks Francois,

Yes, I've been 'playing' with cartridge alignment a bit. I moved it further back in the headshell and it made a big difference to the tracking distortion but as you can probably guess as soon I found that it was better I've left it and just enjoyed listening to the music as I still don't know what I'm doing really :oops: :)

Where did you find the info on this Stevenson? I take it thats the Stevenson alignment protractor you're talking about?

Cheers for helping out, appreciate it.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
François
User

Post by François »