Lenard Audio Institute

Subjects that don't have their own home
Snorbans
User

#1 Lenard Audio Institute

Post by Snorbans »

I've being reading around solid state vs valve today and came across this company/institute/ education resource which has helped to pass time on what is a day simply for passing time - happy new year btw, is that sore head a hangover or the start of another viral episode?

I'm a sucker for a strongly put view, for example the digital hair drying of http://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/intro.html

Lots of strongly held views to be found here

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/

Written around a decade ago. Views around cables, predictable, a surprising view around class D (seven year non serviceable life). The writer gives some their thoughts on why valves will always be better than solid state, which I hadn't come across. PP over SET. Vintage over modern. In approaching valve amplifiers for the 1st time, I have a lot of research to do, what do others think of the views given?
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Lenard Audio Institute

Post by Nick »

Well, first thing to disagree with is that Physics is not the science of measurement, Metrology is. Just saying.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Snorbans
User

#3 Re: Lenard Audio Institute

Post by Snorbans »

....Fair point, Metrology it is.

'With most cone speakers, solid-state amps appear to sound flat and lifeless, the bass and high frequencies appear dead, as if a blanket is put over the speaker.

Voltage Current drive comparison

Valve amp power is directly proportional to speaker Impedance
therefore power increases as the speaker Impedance rises.

Solid-state power is inversely proportional to speaker Impedance
therefore power decreases as the speaker Impedance rises.

When listening to a valve amp, the bass and hi-frequencies appear to spring to life with clarity and detail, or may appear to sound exaggerated. If given the opportunity for comparison, every human with ears will hear the difference and choose a Valve amp as the preferred listening option. Every musician (guitar and bass player) instantly recognises the brighter response of Valve amps. Musical instrument amps (Fender, Marshall etc) stayed with Valve technology for this reason.'

I didn't know I was flat and lifeless and I really want to spring to life, is this argument correct?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Lenard Audio Institute

Post by pre65 »

I would take that all with a pinch of salt.

A good amp is a good amp regardless of solid state or thermionic devices.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#5 Re: Lenard Audio Institute

Post by Ray P »

Snorbans wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:11 pm I didn't know I was flat and lifeless and I really want to spring to life, is this argument correct?
What's your own experience on these topics?

My own opinion/experience on the stuff your quoted is that it is just a load of sweeping, unsubstantiated generalisations that don't reflect the vagaries of the real world.

BTW, if you put 2.83Volts across an 8ohm resistor(speaker) you have 1Watt of power regardless of whether the amplifier is silicon or vacuum based so I'm not sure what those statements about amplifier power mean?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Lenard Audio Institute

Post by Mike H »

bass and hi-frequencies appear to spring to life with clarity and detail, or may appear to sound exaggerated
Ahh, distortion .. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
rowuk
Old Hand

#7 Re: Lenard Audio Institute

Post by rowuk »

Is the audio industry not more of a story about who we want to believe vs why we want to believe?
In my world, listening is "work in progress" regardless at what level of perception one currently is. That puts "gear" into proper perspective. I use horns and large, high efficiency speakers and SingleEndedPentode amplifiers because I can, not because someone else said so.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.