ZyXEL router connection

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 ZyXEL router connection

Post by pre65 »

I'm having no luck connecting my laptop to a ZyXEL_AB68 wireless router.

I had this problem last Christmas (no been here for 12 months) and ended up using an RJ45 lead as a direct connection, and that connection still works.

The laptop recognises the router, but after entering the password it says "unable to connect".

Am I doing something wrong ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: ZyXEL router connection

Post by Nick »

The internet doesn't seem to believe a ZyXEL_AB68 exists, but it may be worth changing the WiFi authentication that windows is trying to use.

You don't say what version of windows you are using, but this may help.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 3afa705cfe
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: ZyXEL router connection

Post by pre65 »

Thanks Nick.

I have a feeling that this router only supports 4 wireless devices, and mine is number 5.

I've had a bottle of "Bombardier" tonight, so I'll have another look in the morning.

Edmund Burke

lindsayt
User

#4 Re: ZyXEL router connection

Post by lindsayt »

Like most IT issues, it will be a case of logical problem solving to get to the bottom of this and fix the issue.

Starting with the most likely / quickest fix and working your way through each possible resolution until it's sorted.

Things like: has the laptop ever worked wirelessly with this router? If so has anything changed?

Checking you're putting the right wireless password in on your laptop.

Does the laptop work OK on other wireless networks, eg Wetherspoons?

Checking the wireless settings on your laptop.

Checking the wireless settings on your router.

Checking DHCP on your router. Every home router I've come across has supported hundreds of wireless connections, with the right config.

It's the sort of thing that I'd expect to diagnose and fix (if it's not a hardware fault) in 30 seconds to 30 minutes if I were to visit your home.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: ZyXEL router connection

Post by pre65 »

Thanks, when I go there again (Christmas 2022 ?) I'll try and remember your advice.

I'm sure that when I went into the modem settings there was a limit on how many wireless devices it supported.

Edmund Burke

lindsayt
User

#6 Re: ZyXEL router connection

Post by lindsayt »

pre65 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 am Thanks, when I go there again (Christmas 2022 ?) I'll try and remember your advice.

I'm sure that when I went into the modem settings there was a limit on how many wireless devices it supported.
Change the setting that's putting a stupid limit on the number of wireless devices. Or if that's not possible, whoever pays for the Internet connection should contact their ISP and get another router sent out.

There will be a limit to the number of wired network connections that the router can support, as it will probably only have 4 x RJ45 sockets on it. But you can always add 1 or more switches to increase the number of wired connections in the network.