LED display repair

Subjects that don't have their own home
Exile47
User

#1 LED display repair

Post by Exile47 »

I can't find any other specific place to post this so here goes.
I am using a pair of Sony CD changers to house my collection. CDP-CX350 or Mega Storage as they are sometimes called. Bought them both quite cheap just before CDs became fashionable again. Never any problem after I replaced the drive belts inside. I do have an issue with one of them. The LED display is very faint. Does anyone with electronic knowledge know if this is fixable without replacing the display? Spare parts are not available for these models, only non original belts.
I can tweak and tinker with replacing components but I have no technical knowledge. Possibilities: Bad connection/something out of adjustment/LED module dying. I am keeping an eye open for a cheap parts donor but they have recently become scarce and three times more than I paid for my working units. The Germans seem to like them a lot and it is not at all uncommon to see them on ebay for €400 to €900. :shock:
Manticore Mantra with upgraded Rega RB250 & AT95e, Sony 450ESD, CDP-CX350 (x2), TC-KB820S, ST-S300L, Paul Carmody Tarkus, modded KEF C75, B&W Rock Solids.
Neal
Shed dweller

#2 Re: LED display repair

Post by Neal »

I have no specific experience but of the two dim display issues I’ve seen on old VCR machines (an old mate runs a TV repair business) it was caused by a number of bad electrolytic caps.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Exile47
User

#3 Re: LED display repair

Post by Exile47 »

Still looking for parts for my Sony CDP-CX350. Only parts from this model will do. The CDP-CX355 is externally identical but the components inside are different. It is Sony part #A-4724-546-A

I am looking for a S/H VFD (vacuum fluorescent) display unit or a complete player as a parts donor. There seems to be a huge number of these players on the market being sold as faulty. They are fairly plentiful in the states but scarce elsewhere. I can't really afford the price + shipping + import duty to buy a complete unit so I was wondering if anyone is selling parts and willing to send to UK. Thanks in advance.
Manticore Mantra with upgraded Rega RB250 & AT95e, Sony 450ESD, CDP-CX350 (x2), TC-KB820S, ST-S300L, Paul Carmody Tarkus, modded KEF C75, B&W Rock Solids.