Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

I've heard rumblings on this subject from USA people but I had no idea the UK Government were pursuing the same objectives.

Basically, it could be an offence to modify or replace ANY part (including software) originally fitted to the vehicle when manufactured.

I watched a YouTube video this morning and it explains how it may affect cars/bikes etc.

Steve S may recognise the road footage on the video. :wink:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Future of transport regulatory
review consultation:

See the "Tackling Tampering" section.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ersion.pdf

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

#3 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by ed »

very difficult to listen to the commentary when the video is in your back yard....to wit: St Andrew's quay to lincs.
I was preoccupied trying to work out the date from the roadworks....
this won't be a problem for most....

just saying
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#4 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

New vehicles have to meet efficiency and noise amongst other targets. A chipped vehicle no longer meets what it was designed to. Plenty of examples of people with £20 per year road fund vehicles chipped to get performance, now pumping out more pollution which is wrong.
It won’t be long before all domestic appliances, which I assume will include audio will have to have AA+ efficiency ratings.

Probably all this generates less C02 than supermarket fridges without doors :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

But conversely this will break the right to repair initiatives so that it will be impossible to repair old vehicles, that will in itself create more pollution. It looks to me to be manufacturer lobbying wrapped in greenwashing with a bit of "think of the children" thrown in. If only we had the EU on our side.

Maybe its a good time to start buying land next to race tracks to build storage facilities.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
gninnam
Old Hand

#6 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by gninnam »

If you oppose this then there is a Government consultation on motorbike modifications https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ETVHG5
steve s
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by steve s »

This update sounds much more like common sense

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/fb ... 6dGIwPxeQ4
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

But the problem with:
but confine them exclusively to “tomorrow’s” vehicles.
Is that tomorrow becomes yesterday in two days time.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 am But the problem with:
but confine them exclusively to “tomorrow’s” vehicles.
Is that tomorrow becomes yesterday in two days time.
Thats true...
But as you know with all motor vehicles, mot rules, or if your vehicle is checked, new rules apply from the date the new rule was implemented..
I've a few old vehicles, the regulations only apply (in the main) to the rules of their time.

On a similar note our new next door neighbour has just had their house rewired because the wiring did not meet the 'standards'
But there was actually nothing wrong with the wiring because it only had to comply with 1960's standards.

But there's also nothing wrong with 'tampering? ' with the installation to bring it up to modern standards and the resultant certification of such.

If the same applies to motor vehicles..
Today's vehicles will be updatable to modern standards, whilst post 'new rule' vehicles may well have to be left original or fitted with only approved parts, much like the aviation industry.

Which in turn will be the new norm and be accepted as such I suppose, much like all new rules..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Today's vehicles will be updatable to modern standards
Maybe, maybe not, if we are forced to use OEM parts and the manufacturers don't make them then the car becomes unsupported and unusable.

Think what commercial software does with supporting old hardware as opposed to open source providing support. In effect this legislation is in effect trying to outlaw open source for vehicles.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Probably off topic, but, it seems any historic vehicle can only be registered as such if it is not "substantially modified", so any historic car with (for example) a non original engine and suspension and a non original chassis will NOT be free tax and no MOT. And, it may be necessary to re-register the vehicle.

That would include a lot (if not most) hot rods. It might explain why there have been quite a lot of partially completed hot rods for sale on Ebay. :wink:

Vehicles converted over 30 years ago might be exempt.

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#12 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:57 am
Today's vehicles will be updatable to modern standards
Maybe, maybe not, if we are forced to use OEM parts and the manufacturers don't make them then the car becomes unsupported and unusable.

I meant that with today's vehicles, hopefully the new rules will not apply.. its vehicles after the new rules are implemented that will be affected.. my bad !

I would suggest that none oem parts will need to be approved.. I cannot imagine that the supply of common parts will dry up or stop.. or with the eventual new regulations, that would be what is intended.

To me it's all about safeguarding the emissions regulations and safety, but it will be interesting to see the detail of what is implemented, and if there are other casualties..?
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

To me it's all about safeguarding the emissions regulations and safety, but it will be interesting to see the detail of what is implemented, and if there are other casualties..
Yep, that's all fine, but I suspect there will be other parts smuggled in.
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I will give you a example that exists today. The approved tire for my car carries the Porsche N rating. So that is for my car a Pilot Sport 2. However Michelin have stopped making the PS2 in my cars size for a 18" rim (which mine has) so I can't buy an approved tire anymore.

Safety regulations would require I fit an approved tire...
Nick
Site Admin

#15 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:00 pm I will give you a example that exists today. The approved tire for my car carries the Porsche N rating. So that is for my car a Pilot Sport 2. However Michelin have stopped making the PS2 in my cars size for a 18" rim (which mine has) so I can't buy an approved tire anymore.

Safety regulations would require I fit an approved tire...
Turns out that a bad example as they seem to be making them again.