Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#16 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Tyres are always a minefield. In Europe most German cars are supplied with steel rims and the most economical tyres, to obviously meet efficiency noise regs. The U.K market is different they have to have heavy alloys and wide tyres to appeal ( sales gimmicks- that 99% of end users don’t need). So for the uk market, they have to change them when they get here. The question is then is it tampering to fit the OEM tyres that the Europeans use - yes as the type certificate is specific, crazy. However I haven’t had an issue with my winter tyres when it comes to the MOT, even though to the letter of the law I should.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#17 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

I’ve a spare set of 18” alloys with winter tyres on. The supplied wheels on my car are 19”, staggered so 245/35/19 at the front and 275/30/19 at the back. The winters are 245/40/18 all round. Checked with the insurance company who were happy for me to fit them. Whilst the grip may be better in the snow, I do have to be careful in the application of power and cornering, particularly in the wet, as the lesser width can make things “entertaining “ at times. Ride is better though.

Many people swap to winters for the season, wonder if this will be outlawed?

My car would be pretty much unuseable in the snow in that case.

We’d see a lot more accidents in the winter.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#18 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

If common sense were to prevail then no, putting more suitable tyres on you car isn’t a modification. My car has a section on the console where you can tell it what winter tyres you have, assume to adjust the torque curve accordingly. However bureaucracy may win out, sacrifice a few special cases for simpler legislation.

I keep winding up a work colleague- who has spent a fortune on having an Austin Healey 3000 restored, saying he’s wasted his money.. the bottom will probably drop out of the classic car market. Demographic of people who want old British cars and environmental pressures. My retirement project a Jensen interceptor ain’t going to happen I don’t think. Weight the rusty shell in for scrap if I’m right.
Neal
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Neal »

The thing with the classic car market is you go into it because you have a desire and an interest for it, sure there are some ‘investments’ but it’s a huge risk and you need to have a crystal ball to spot the cars that will rise in price. Get a classic car for the joy of it and the tinkering not to make money. If it’s a Jensen you want they go for it, you are only here once and the way we are all being forced “green” you may not get another chance.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by IslandPink »

Ali Tait wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:53 pm Many people swap to winters for the season, wonder if this will be outlawed?
If the legislation is coming from the EU, then I very much doubt it.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#21 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

However it may point to OEM winter tires, but I would think not too. If its coming from the EU I would at least expect some consumer understanding and support. If its from the UK, I would expect it to be driven by commercial interests.

But that's just me.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#22 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Paul Barker »

British Gas put them on every winter. I put them on one winter but in my case, it was expensive as the tyres were fully worn in just that one winter. You could almost see youre tread go down like a my old v12 xjs used to show youre fuel level falling by the minute.

So Ive never put them on since.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 am The thing with the classic car market is you go into it because you have a desire and an interest for it, sure there are some ‘investments’ but it’s a huge risk and you need to have a crystal ball to spot the cars that will rise in price. Get a classic car for the joy of it and the tinkering not to make money. If it’s a Jensen you want they go for it, you are only here once and the way we are all being forced “green” you may not get another chance.
Well said that man. :D

If anyone wants to natter about classic cars during the Owston weekend see me.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#24 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:21 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:53 pm Many people swap to winters for the season, wonder if this will be outlawed?
A further complication is that OEM tyres on BMW’s are run flats. My summer tyres are not. I got rid of the RFT’s as they are bloody awful.
steve s
Shed dweller

#25 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Ali Tait wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:56 am
IslandPink wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:21 pm
A further complication is that OEM tyres on BMW’s are run flats. My summer tyres are not. I got rid of the RFT’s as they are bloody awful.
Our last 3 series I hated the run flats, the car seemed to change direction by itself depending on the road surface,
My present 5 series runs like it has normal tyres on it, no problems as does lesleys 1series.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#26 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

I went for Goodyear F1 Supersports which transformed the car. Immense grip in both wet and dry. Not cheap, but were still a bit cheaper than Pilot Sport 4s, which a lot of websites tout as the best road car tyre currently available. Tyrereviews user reviews put the F1 as the better tyre though.

No good on snow though. :D
Neal
Shed dweller

#27 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Michelin Crossclimate here, fantastic tyre in winter and summer although it has not snowed once since I had them fitted :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#28 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes had them on my past couple of cars, excellent tyre. Can’t get them in the required sizes for the beemer though.
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by Nick »

This is a relevant discussion on classic cars and their future

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: Proposed anti tamper legislation for vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

I never used to like Jay Emm car reviews, but I've got used to his style now.

The video you linked to makes sense, but only time will tell.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)