payg data only sim card

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 payg data only sim card

Post by ed »

bit of a long shot this one...

I'm struggling to find a data only sim card that doesn't involve pay up front...

The one I'm currently using in this installation is proving trixy to transfer credit to an add-on.

I want a card that supports 2G(for a GPRS modem) and charges by the MB used. I only use about 30MB per month so the 4GB and 8GB are way over the top.

There are 'things mobile' cards advertised on amazon but the feedback is decidedly dodgy in regard to activation and registering.

I've been searching long and hard, but there's always a chance I've missed something that somebody's seen.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by jack »

My problem exactly. They all want regular payment.

All I want is a data sim with say 5000 SMS messages.

Nowhere
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by shane »

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:30 pm This any good?

https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards
The thing with these is there's a hidden "contract" in that you have to renew every month and any unused SMS etc is lost at the end of the period.

What I'm after is a one-off payment for a preloaded SIM that can be topped up as needed, maybe a few months later.

Most of these "no contract" SIMs still require a monthly payment.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#5 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by vinylnvalves »

steve s
Shed dweller

#6 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by steve s »

If you find a pre paid and loaded sim like we used to be able to buy, let me know too, as I've been looking for one for my motorhome's wifi instead of having to transfer my phone sim when there's poor reception.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by Nick »

steve s wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:00 pm If you find a pre paid and loaded sim like we used to be able to buy, let me know too, as I've been looking for one for my motorhome's wifi instead of having to transfer my phone sim when there's poor reception.
Would it just be simpler using the phone in access point mode in those cases rather than swapping the sim?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#8 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by ed »

thanks guys, but as I wrote in the first post
ed wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:40 am I want a card that supports 2G(for a GPRS modem) and charges by the MB used. I only use about 30MB per month so the 4GB and 8GB are way over the top.
I currently pay £1 per month for 200mb but I only use about 20MB and I have to pay the £1 every month by transferring from my account credit to the add-on. Problem is the web portal doesn't suppot this transaction so I have to phone support to do the transfer...and sometimes it takes more than 20 minutes to get through to support.

thanks Shane...I already have a question in to giffgaff via amazon, so far no reply.......I hadn't realised until now that none of the mobile suppliers has a sales enquiries number or email address....the only way to get in contact is when you already have an account....go figure

the cynic in me reckons there is a bit of cashing in here where the kids doing IOT are buying contract sims or up front payg and paying way over the odds.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by jack »

They're known as "machine data SIMs" or M2M SIMs.

Specifically designed for IoT motes but not for individual folk like us.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: payg data only sim card

Post by jack »

Just ordered one of these...

https://1nce.com/en/features/

10euros for 250 SMS/500MB with a 10 time limit to use it. If you use up either SMS or data, it's just another 10euros to refill.

No monthly contract or anything silly. The company just does IoT.

Note: Only available for VAT registered businesses.