Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

OK, I’ll start.

It’ll be my diminutive 45 amp and my Fane single driver speakers.
Source will no doubt be my Mac Mini and MF DAC. Our Ant will probably bring a vinyl setup so I won’t be bringing my own turntable.
Looking forward to the meet-up. It’ll be nice. 😊
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Ray P »

I'm planning to bring my DSD decoder set-up to try as a source on some systems, hopefully including my 'Valve DAC'. It'll be interesting to see what you guys make of it, both with HQ Player upsampling to DSD from PCM FLAC files and with a selection of DSD256 tracks.

Maybe my 300B headphome amp too.

Should be fun!

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Paul Barker »

I hope to bring my 801a PSE, all hardware for signal section mounted at last. Some elements hooked up. Waiting for MKP cathode bypass caps to come.

Power supply not started yet. Ill probably simplify it to LC with Black Gates and leave my ambitious and trixy to set up capacitorless power supply for probably a long time. Its not a race.

Just coming and bringing something new after a quite a few years not building.

No way of hearing the amp until the power supply is A/ started, and B/ finished. But only way you wont get it at Osten, is if I try it and dont like it.

Ive been a little conscerned about the fast escalation of 2nd 3rd and 4th distortion head for the sky together after 6 watts power output. Not a usual chracteristic distortion I aim for in SE. However, take courage, up to 6 watts its almost horisontal all three down neat the bottom axis of a graph. Max power before clipping 8 watts. It may happen that the unusual amount of 3rd dominance in the last two watts may sound nice for just peaks as it makes the attack of fast bass better and people may like that. there will be a trade off at the switch above 6 watts, but no saying where that goes. To be discovered on the day.

Best midrange voice tones should excel up to 6 watts.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#4 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Tony Moore »

I will bring along my heavily modded Transporter and my CDpro2 Transport (easier than trying to bring all the gear necessary for streaming). Plus it means I can play other peoples music on it.

I'll also bring along the "Douglas Self" Trimodal amplifier. (As detailed in Wireless World June and July 1995!)

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wirele ... -S-OCR.pdf
https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wirele ... -S-OCR.pdf

I don't think I'll bring speakers though since I haven't built any! The amp has good protection circuits so anyone's speakers are safe! (I can vouch for the proper functioning of the protections after the dodgy fake output transistor fiasco - see other thread! :roll: )
chris661
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by chris661 »

Think it'll be the 8" 2.5-way speakers this year, likely powered by something reasonably meaty and solid-state.

Happy to mix-and-match things, and I have a couple of things I could bring that might come in handy:

- Measurement setup (SPL and impedance)
- Powersoft amps (active crossovers etc)
- Faital 10HX230 in smallish ported boxes - about 96dB@1w, would be good for low-power amps

Chris
steve s
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

I'll be bring my red speakers, which are getting a little chipped and battered now.
Main amplifier will be my mofo output/shortpath ac/p driven job.

Will also bring my 1 watt p650. Although 1 watt is a little low for the room..

Keep them coming, the more systems the better..!

Dave (mcru) is also bringing a full system too, hopefully he will update us on that beforehand.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#7 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

Only so much can fit in an estate car sadly. LOL

May try SACD this year, transport and DAC.

Longdog power amps.

I found a pair of mint Edingdales in my storage room the other week, will bring those, anyone interested in buying them make an offer on the day. They are black fitted with a rear tweeter as well as the normal front ones.

There is a new turntable nearing completion but based on length of time taken to get this far doubt it will be ready in time.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Ant
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Ant »

All ill fetch is the lenco with the new arm on it and the cole phono stage

Maybe, if the big fanes fit in mi dads car, we could fetch them instead of his smaller ones and run his 45 into them. But they are big, awkward and heavy
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#9 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

May just bring this lot as reports from the show that has just finished down in Daventry were very positive

It was Kerr Acoustics room, a young guy who makes speakers, I loaned him the equipment including Nick's rather excellent monoblocks.

You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
steve s
Shed dweller

#10 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

Looking good dave.. I've heard very positive thinks about kerr acoustics, be great to hear them.. especially on nicks amps..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

Or you could bring one of the Kondo amps Dave, I am sure folk would like to hear that sort of thing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:03 pm Or you could bring one of the Kondo amps Dave, I am sure folk would like to hear that sort of thing.
More so if that's the 833a amp Dave has. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

Its not, I don't think Kondo make a 833 amp. I could build a chip amp into an electric fire and give the same effect?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#14 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

shane
Social outcast

#15 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by shane »

Nick wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:33 pm Its not, I don't think Kondo make a 833 amp. I could build a chip amp into an electric fire and give the same effect?
That made me laugh out loud.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.