Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#31 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Ali Tait »

Good stuff Gordon, wanted to hear these at NEBO but couldn’t make it.
iansr
Old Hand

#32 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by iansr »

Any interest in Chi-Fi? If so I could bring a Topping Pre-90 preamp. It’s cheap but offers remarkable performance for the money.
"Its good enough for Government work."
steve s
Shed dweller

#33 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

iansr wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:51 am Any interest in Chi-Fi? If so I could bring a Topping Pre-90 preamp. It’s cheap but offers remarkable performance for the money.
By all means bring what you want..
We start the day with full systems then hook up the various bits people bring.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#34 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Toppsy »

Colin usually brings a complete system ? , I was also wondering how nicks new lowther speakers where coming on and if they will be making an appearance?
I wasn't intending bringing any my own gear this year. However having chatted with Nick I have agreed with his consent to bring along the test Quasar style baffles still under development awaiting the acrylic cabinets. If these is spare room in the car, I do have a pair small 2-way floor-standers in the style and approach of ProAc speakers that might be of interest I could bring.
steve s
Shed dweller

#35 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

Toppsy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 am
Colin usually brings a complete system ? , I was also wondering how nicks new lowther speakers where coming on and if they will be making an appearance?
I wasn't intending bringing any my own gear this year. However having chatted with Nick I have agreed with his consent to bring along the test Quasar style baffles still under development awaiting the acrylic cabinets. If these is spare room in the car, I do have a pair small 2-way floor-standers in the style and approach of ProAc speakers that might be of interest I could bring.
Now that's good news.. fingers crossed you get them in colin..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Mike H »

I'm not bringing anything this time, am just along for the ride. :D Do not have anything new; the PCL86 amp has been to Owsters at least twice (is it really that old? :shock: ) ditto the EL84 p-p has been at least twice; it currently has a broken mains switch and anyway I need to sort out a betterer power supply. The latest MOSFET p-p project, and revision 8 of the 801A SET, are still on the To-Do list. However looks like we won't have too much of a shortage of things to play with ... :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#37 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 am ..having chatted with Nick I have agreed with his consent to bring along the test Quasar style baffles...
I will look forward to hearing them if you can pull it off Colin.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#38 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Toppsy »

Tried the fit in my car earlier today and they just go in. So they will be going to the ball. It's the small 2-way stand mounts I may struggle to find space for.
steve s
Shed dweller

#39 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

Good news Colin
jimk04
New User

#40 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by jimk04 »

Hi chaps. Hope to bring along my dac based on AD1862. (Takes optical and coax spdif...up to 192k)...a DIYAudio project
TDA7293 amp. Layout and schematics from DIYAudio again.
My Salas DCG3 preamp
My 8" + 3"fr bookshelf + stands hopefully.

Struggling for a decent digital source. I usually stream but I'm not going to bother bringing that as rigging up to a different network and all that.....PITA

If we don't get to listen to any of it that's fair enough.

Will there be speaker cable and maybe power leads there for use of? Mine are generally buried behind my rack which isn't easy to get to! Stuffed in a corner alcove.

See you Saturday!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#41 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

I've done a trial fit with the baffles in the CRV, and looks like I can get a complete system in. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#42 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Paul Barker »

Thats great news Phil, maybe if I get this mountain ascended in time I can plug the amp into youre set up? I shall try, but everything is taking me a very long time as Im learning what I once knew and checking, rechecking and checking again each point to point wire, each component value has mental maths done on it repetetively befure during and after its hooked up. And variac at the ready as always.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#43 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Paul Barker »

As a matter of knowledge sharing Ive decided to bring more Glass Audio comic’s on trust that noone blatantly publicly ignores copyright, or forgets to put them back. I have just those, I have done no copies, so don’t forget they are a reading resources while youre there only.

There is one extremely good article on winding SE output transformers for a 572 amp, cant recall which 572. Its a good design of transformer on large core, with around 8 primary sections 1/2 at each extreme, full in rest just as you would find advised in RDH for better (lower) leakage inductance and secondary,s within all parallelled. All things anyone seting out to wind transformers could find in Fritz et al (RDH4), but layed out here as a real life example. The only true case Ive encountered of a good transformer winder exposing his secrets, even if all those secrets exist in RDH, you would probably miss them, its not blatantly obvious, this guy spells it out line by line. However Turner, now passed away, also broke down RDH transformer winding details to his actual examples. I did warn everyone here we might lose him, and his great transformer resource might be lost. I dont know if his web platform is live now or not. If you care find out and save it before its gone. Im too busy.

But anyway, if you can with all the distractions and other responsibilities and loads of noise, little of which would be Val Doonican balads, take some time to study some good resources will be there. Id feel better about not geting my amp up and running in time by at least contributing something. But the fat lady hasnt yet sung, the amp might come.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#44 Re: Owston ‘21: What Are You Bringing?

Post by Paul Barker »

As of just now, 801a amp is coming, warts and all.