Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Subjects that don't have their own home
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#136 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Toppsy »

Nick wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:24 pm Those drivers look nice.

Yes the tweeter was coming in at around 6k I believe. Though later we tried the lowther without its series inductor. It sounded less shouty than when I first tried it but the drivers have a few more hours on them now. We then tried a smaller inductor and I think it filled a gap in the upper mids low treble. Will do measurements when the acrylic arrives and get closer to a final set of components.
The Ciare CT440 super tweeters were hooked up to a adjustable L-pad ( the dangly bit on the side) and dialed in around -8dB (I think) and coming in around 9k with a inline 2uF cap. As Nick said he did try the Lowthers without the 5.2uF cap but we later fitted a smaller 4.8uF cap and that is how they remained for the rest of the Saturday. Don't recall the speakers were ever played on the day with the tweeters wired out.

Still some fine tuning and more measuring to better integrate the Lowthers with the Ciare's but that will be when the acrylic cabinets are made and delivered and the drivers mounted in their final positions.
Nick
Site Admin

#137 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Nick »

That would be "As Nick said he did try the Lowthers without the 5.2mH inductor but we later fitted a smaller 4.8mH inductor"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#138 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Toppsy »

Oops you are quite right to correct my error. One too many glasses of red wine is my excuse.
chris661
Shed dweller

#139 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by chris661 »

I believe it'd be 0.52mH and 0.48mH, but what's a decimal place among friends?

Chris
Nick
Site Admin

#140 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Nick »

Ta both :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#141 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by mainscablesrus »

Toppsy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:39 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:24 pm Those drivers look nice.

Yes the tweeter was coming in at around 6k I believe. Though later we tried the lowther without its series inductor. It sounded less shouty than when I first tried it but the drivers have a few more hours on them now. We then tried a smaller inductor and I think it filled a gap in the upper mids low treble. Will do measurements when the acrylic arrives and get closer to a final set of components.
The Ciare CT440 super tweeters were hooked up to a adjustable L-pad ( the dangly bit on the side) and dialed in around -8dB (I think) and coming in around 9k with a inline 2uF cap. As Nick said he did try the Lowthers without the 5.2uF cap but we later fitted a smaller 4.8uF cap and that is how they remained for the rest of the Saturday. Don't recall the speakers were ever played on the day with the tweeters wired out.

Still some fine tuning and more measuring to better integrate the Lowthers with the Ciare's but that will be when the acrylic cabinets are made and delivered and the drivers mounted in their final positions.
And then what as Nick has nowhere to put the speakers once finalized and built LOL
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#142 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Toppsy »

And then what as Nick has nowhere to put the speakers once finalized and built LOL
You could well end up the guardian of the finished speakers with them set up in one your demo rooms. :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

#143 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Nick »

Too good for the likes of him.
Freedom Sounds
User

#144 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Freedom Sounds »

A great big thanks to Steve for organising and for everyone else for hauling their gear to the event and for the good conversations. It had been a long time for me and it was great to be made welcome.

Good to see so many dipoles - they are obviously alive and well in the DIY community. Thanks for the pics, especially the 360 deg shots. I sent the links to my son at uni as he has an interest in hifi.

Siegfried Linkwitz would have been chuckling (he had a great sense of humour) at his LXMinis being described as lifestyle speakers. Two pieces of plastic pipe and a hard rubber pipe coupler - excellent!

It was a challenge to get the LX521s sounding the way they can in that room. Apart from the heavy bass there was an overall lack of definition. In the evening we pulled them out further from the wall and reduced the bass some more, tweaked the lower mid driver a bit and that helped, but they were still far from satisfactory.

So there's a new challenge for me - get them to sound decent in that room!

Once again thanks for everything, I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend.

Gordon
steve s
Shed dweller

#145 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by steve s »

I had rather a busy day yesterday, so just catching up.
What a great event.. the systems on show where all quite some thing .. thanks for all the work involved bringing them..
1st up was daves set up with nicks lowthers, very nice... I remember a few years ago comparing my lowthers to my present speakers and bring surprised how close they were
Nicks speakers confirmed that.

Gordon was up next with his open baffle linkwitz jobs. It took a bit to get the bass something like, I particularly liked what the midrange drivers did.. rather lowther like at midrange frequencies

My set up was on next with my take on the mofo, it worked well

Steve's 45 amp next, on ants 15" drivers, that lovely sweet 45 sound. Ants loudspeakers give a darker sound than Steve's 12"s. I like what they both do..
I missed ants issues getting his amps going, but was back in the room for Phil open baffles.
The coral music sounded really great to me, very sweet, and his skyscraper take on the mofo sounded a very nice combination. Bass was not earth shattering, but it was fast bass which I like..

We then moved on to Steve's diy amt drivers in his diy horns. To me the male vocals he played sound excellent .. no exceptional, it was a temporary rig for the bass, so allowance made for that.. but what a result.. impressive.

We then heard Chris's b&c compression drivers in those tall slim cabs. A nice sweet mids and the small horns seemed tolerant of frequencies. The amps in my view where not as airy as some, but nevertheless a good result.
Gordon's omni drain pipes where the next thing I remember the mid driver really moved, very different qualities to conventional loudspeakers but a full sound, especially considering the size.. (if you ignore the bass boxes)

After that we heard Tony's diy cd/dac/amplifier on my speakers. Very impressive, different take to the se amps that my speakers are usually paired with. But still very good

We then moved nick lowther baffles down and gave them a good session on my mofo and my 1 watt valve amp.
By then it was getting late in the day so I packed up.

I've missed loads out.. so appologies
But it was a great day and great to catch up with you all, who I now regard as good friends..
I've some pics I was going to post but the ones already posted are better than mine.. but here's the group
20211127_120715_copy_600x800.jpg
20211127_120715_copy_600x800.jpg (194.68 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#146 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Paul Barker »

Gordon is it you I thank for 3 motor run caps and 3 el34’s? (One had gas so didn’t take it.)

The pipe effort looked wrong and sounded right. If any of my pathetic attempts sounded that good I’d be done. Can’t judge a book by its cover!

Still waters run deep, I suspect you’re way out of my depth, thank you for joining us?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ant
Shed dweller

#147 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Ant »

Yep steve the b1 threw a wobbler and wouldnt power up so the b1 and f5 didnt get used
Silly thing is that when i got in i left the system where id dumped it and stuck a meter on the b1 to see what was going on and the wall wart wouldnt show a voltage. Went back to it after going hunting for another pre to use and it did show a voltage, and the b1 then worked. So what was going on there i dont know.....

I though nicks baffles were very good, fast and dynamic, the otl amp worked nicely with them

Gordons system sounded like it needed a good tweak of the crossovers, but gave a good inkling of how good it probably is in its natural habitat, that room takes no prisoners

Steves mofo and red speakers sounded abit more forward than i remember, probably the amp, ive not heard a mofo before saturday

I enjoyed phils system, the baffles have a nice balance and i thing his mofo amp got hold of the bass drivers nicely, giving the bottom end good control

Steves crackers horns were lovely. Dunno what else to say about them, for a lash up without its normal bottom end support, it was lovely

Gordons drainpipes did something really nice, i thought they were pretty well balanced with the bass part of of the other speakers helping out

Pauls 801 had something about it even with the dodgy top end, i would point the finger at the hammond interstages, i had the same thing years ago using the same interstages in a copy of mr i's 45 pp i built. Ended up parafeeding them to try and sort it, then eventually changed them for something else (llundahls i think, its a long time ago) to get it to sound right.

It was also nice to see paul and nick faffing with something that looked like it came from dr frankensteins lab, been a long time since we saw that :D

I didnt get any pics unfortunately, i think half the population was trying to ring me or message me so i ended up in and out all day....

Cheers ant
Last edited by Ant on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#148 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ah yes the linkwitz drainpipes. Aren’t they called ‘Pluvia’ or something like that? They were the last thing I heard before me and Ant had to go. IMO, underpinned by the subs, they were superb. I love semi-omnis. The sound was the same no matter where in the room I stood (I did a little round the room survey deliberately.)
I love semi-omnis as I said but with my 45s, I doubt they would be sensitive enough, and in my system, 45s are now here to stay. Never mind :)
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
steve s
Shed dweller

#149 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by steve s »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm Ah yes the linkwitz drainpipes. Aren’t they called ‘Pluvia’ or something like that?
Isn't it funny how linkwitz gets his name on a well known design from the 50s.. although it was ceramic pipe then I suppose..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#150 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by vinylnvalves »

They pipe speakers are called Pluto’s- https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/intro.htm