Millard working week

Subjects that don't have their own home
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Millard working week

Post by Paul Barker »

I 1938 Millard workers at Mitchum did 47hrs a week has 1 week holidayi. Armistice they had 2 minutes not working the chiefs said “it was the only 2 minutes in the year they weren’t working.”
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#2 Re: Millard working week

Post by Paul Barker »

When a line was shut the workers miniimun notice of redundancy could be a minimum of 1hr and 1 minute.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Millard working week

Post by Nick »

Yep, lets hear it for trade unions for improving worker conditions. And indirectly WWII for increasing worker power.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: Millard working week

Post by Ray P »

Hear, hear Nick, and let's not forget WW1 for setting the conditions for women gaining the vote.

Sadly, there has been a lurch back towards the 'be grateful you have work' mindset of late and things like zero-hours contracts are pretty much akin to queueing outside the factory or dock to see if you had any work for the day (and, of course, if you agitiated via the union you were at the back of the queue)
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker

#5 Re: Millard working week

Post by Paul Barker »

Going on in Hull now men queueing for a days work at factory gates on Leads Road Hull I saw Monday on way to Wolseley for parts.
Neal
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Millard working week

Post by Neal »

Eh, women campaigned years before WWI to get the vote, the ‘conditions’ where laid out years before, deep sacrifice had to be made and it wasn’t until 1928 that women gained the same rights as men and be able to vote from the age of 21
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Neal
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Millard working week

Post by Neal »

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#8 Re: Millard working week

Post by izzy wizzy »

Standout for me has been when women in Switzerland got the vote. 1971!

Numbers and statisitcs are the weapons abused in political spaces. Vacancies very high. Government claims super low unemployment yet to be employed, requires only 1 hour of work in the week and that doesn't necessarily require payment so full time non paid care qualifies.

I hope this creates an employee's market and folk reep the reward with higher pay.
Ray P

#9 Re: Millard working week

Post by Ray P »

Neal wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am Eh, women campaigned years before WWI to get the vote, the ‘conditions’ where laid out years before, deep sacrifice had to be made and it wasn’t until 1928 that women gained the same rights as men and be able to vote from the age of 21
Yes, they campaigned for years before but gained little traction, it was the circumstances of WW1, when women filled many jobs, previously the domain of men, including armaments factories, that changed the landscape regarding women's position in society leading to them starting to gain the vote.

In fact as a result of the 1918 Representation of the People Act over 8million women gained the vote, though still not on equal terms with men (the same Act also extended male suffrage to all men aged 21 - it is worth remembering that many of the men who had been fighting in the trenches didn't have a vote). In 1918 women also gained the right to be elected to parliament.

So, WW1 was a direct factor in the extension of suffrage in the UK through the 1918 Act. In 1914 there were about 8-9M people able to vote (all male) and 5yrs later it was about 12-13M males and 8M female. Further extension then became inevitable and the 1928 Representation of the People Act gave the vote to all women aged 21, the same as for men.
Paul Barker

#10 Re: Millard working week

Post by Paul Barker »

Some of the men who fought for Britain in the trenches were German immigrants, like my Grandpa on the Distaff and his brothers. He went age 16 so not a voter.
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Millard working week

Post by Nick »

Sorry to bring it back to the topic, but who or what was Millard?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Millard working week

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm Sorry to bring it back to the topic, but who or what was Millard?
As I is next to U on a qwerty keyboard I supposed that Paul meant Mullard ?

Makes sense to me. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13 Re: Millard working week

Post by Ali Tait »

Yep that what I inferred.
Ray P

#14 Re: Millard working week

Post by Ray P »

Likewise
Paul Barker

#15 Re: Millard working week

Post by Paul Barker »

Or the spell checker changed it. It’s annoying but won’t shorten my life so I don’t allocate time to bothering about it for long. More a oh, that came out wrong! Nothing I can do about it now, move on!