Guitar Amp Kits

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#16 Re: Guitar Amp Kits

Post by Nick »

in that case buy one. IMHO.

I found the VOX modelling amps were very good value, but that’s some time ago and depends on what he wants/plays.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#17 Re: Guitar Amp Kits

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Totally agree.

Now gigging... how big are the venues and what's the band line up, PA and foldback system?

It gets complicated.

But if I was doing local pubs a 2 x12 Boss Katana 100 would be my amp of choice .
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#18 Re: Guitar Amp Kits

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:47 pm
He's started a new band I believe the aim is to gig.
brings a slightly different slant to it.

when you're in the middle of a gig and your amp goes down and you're quiet and the other three or four guys do their very best for 2 or 3 minutes...and then.....it's time to hide, trust me.......speshly if those other guys have been practising their socks off for a while.

if you built it then you're responsible etc etc...diy on stage brings a whole nother level of risk.

I've been there, but fortuantely not as the owner of the diy kit...no matter how chilled you may be it's very difficult to remain understanding.

if he must then better build 2 of them. Or take back up.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#19 Re: Guitar Amp Kits

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:04 pm in that case buy one. IMHO.

I found the VOX modelling amps were very good value, but that’s some time ago and depends on what he wants/plays.
+1
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#20 Re: Guitar Amp Kits

Post by Ray P »

Thanks all but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves and perhaps my comment to Ed wasn't very clear.
  • He's a guitarist and has a very basic practice amp.
  • He's in a band start-up band that eventually plans to gig.
He's motivated to build an amp for himself as an end in itself but also to hopefully help with the transition from guitarist to performer - he wants to build a better personal amplifier regardless.

He knows that gigging is a whole different ball game and expects to use professional equipment in that context.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!