Extending Wi-fi

Subjects that don't have their own home
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#46 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by The Stratmangler »

simon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:40 am I had a Pi running LMS which I needed to reconnect as it used a wifi connection. Got around to it this morning but I can't for the life of me get LMS to see it.

As it's connected via wifi it's on the Linksys's network with an ip address of 10.244.summat, and connecting to the pi by ethernet I've reset its SSID in piCorePlayer to the Linksys. And I can access it via wifi using its new ip address in Chrome. But it refuses to show in either LMS on the computer or on Squeezer on my phone.

It's a while since I've had to play with pCP so maybe I'm missing something. Anyone got any good ideas? I've restarted Squeezelite and the Plusnet modem router. I wondered if it might be a firewall issue, but if so why can I access it?
My ex had Plusnet installed a week or so ago, and had an issue with bizarre IP addresses being allocated to her TV, and thus not connecting to the internet - it's sorted out now by giving the TV a static IP address in its network settings, and also making that IP address static in router management.

The IP address you mentioned is likely from the data SIM on your mobile - see if turning mobile data fixes things.
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#47 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:40 am I had a Pi running LMS which I needed to reconnect as it used a wifi connection. Got around to it this morning but I can't for the life of me get LMS to see it.

As it's connected via wifi it's on the Linksys's network with an ip address of 10.244.summat, and connecting to the pi by ethernet I've reset its SSID in piCorePlayer to the Linksys. And I can access it via wifi using its new ip address in Chrome. But it refuses to show in either LMS on the computer or on Squeezer on my phone.

It's a while since I've had to play with pCP so maybe I'm missing something. Anyone got any good ideas? I've restarted Squeezelite and the Plusnet modem router. I wondered if it might be a firewall issue, but if so why can I access it?
I had a Pi running LMS which I needed to reconnect as it used a wifi connection. Got around to it this morning but I can't for the life of me get LMS to see it.
I am confused Simon...you can't get LMS to see the pi that it's running on?......

I may be teaching the subtle art of egg sucking here but....

login to the linksys router and display the 'network map' from the main menu
click on the pi in the map and select device info from the popup menu
it will show the local address of the pi
type this address into the browser and it should load the pcp main page
check the lms settings from the pcp menu
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#48 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

But it refuses to show in either LMS on the computer or on Squeezer on my phone.
I think you are not helping the description above with random in's and on's. Also by "the computer" do you mean the Pi, or another computer?

By the above do you mean you can't see LMS that is running on the Pi, by using a browser on your computer or squeezer on your phone?

Can the "computer" ping the Pi, what’s the computers ip address, what’s the pi's ip address, what wifi network has the phone connected to? How are the Pi and computer connected, wired? or wifi, or some combination.

I often find a drawing of your network with addresses, ssid's and services can help a lot to whet out what’s where and what can see what.

As you are double natting, computers on the outside of your second nat, will not be able to see devices on the inside of the nat, but devices on the inside of the second nat will be able to see devices on the outside of the nat and the rest of the world via your boundary to the internet nat.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#49 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Thanks chaps, I understood what I meant anyway :-). No time now, but LMS is running on a pi which is connected by ethernet directly to the Plusnet modem router, which is connected to a switch that's the "hub" (not the correct term I'm sure) that facilitates the hardwired network. The Linksys job is hard wired to the switch.

So everything in the house that's connected by ethernet is in the Plusnet network, and everything that's connected by WiFi is on the Linksys network.

And i can access this pi as a player, or ise a SB3. The problem pi is just a renderer, not running LMS. I can connect to it by WiFi by putting its ip address (found in the Linksys app) in to a browser. Up comes pCP and I can configure it. I just can't get LMS to see it, and wonder if it's because it's in a different network?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#50 Re: Extending Wi-fi

simon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:49 pm Thanks chaps, I understood what I meant anyway :-). No time now, but LMS is running on a pi which is connected by ethernet directly to the Plusnet modem router, which is connected to a switch that's the "hub" (not the correct term I'm sure) that facilitates the hardwired network. The Linksys job is hard wired to the switch.

So everything in the house that's connected by ethernet is in the Plusnet network, and everything that's connected by WiFi is on the Linksys network.

And i can access this pi as a player, or ise a SB3. The problem pi is just a renderer, not running LMS. I can connect to it by WiFi by putting its ip address (found in the Linksys app) in to a browser. Up comes pCP and I can configure it. I just can't get LMS to see it, and wonder if it's because it's in a different network?
Go into Linksys router management, and give it a static IP address in the same range as the Plusnet IPs. Take note of IP address.
Point Linksys router at Plusnet router's internal IP address as gateway.
Turn DHCP off in Linksys router.
Go to Plusnet router and make the Linksys IP static.

Then everything is sat on the same network.
Nick
Site Admin

#51 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

Have you not also to turn off NAT in the linksys?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#52 Re: Extending Wi-fi

I have a Draytek router working purely as a network switch and WAP with just the settings I mentioned.
Nothing altered in the NAT tables.

Maybe it's different with different kit.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#53 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

You may need a static route between the two subnets.

Each subnet can see the internet, but can they see each other?

Personally, I'd keep it really simple. Have the WiFi as an access point only, single NATting, have one subnet only and one DHCP server.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#54 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:25 pm Personally, I'd keep it really simple. Have the WiFi as an access point only, single NATting, have one subnet only and one DHCP server.
Yep, thats the best way, but you need to find what setting on the router is needed to do that. Its such a common set-up, I would be surprised if there isn't an "access point" mode.
ed
retired

#55 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by ed »

I've just been reading back into this thread...I might be missing something but can you remind me why your still using the plusnet router part Simon?

contrary to what Nick(Jack) says back in October our router has 4 ethernet ports and dhcp server...could you not cut the plusnet out of the equation and make life a bit simpler?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#56 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

I guess the two networks are configured as they are, simply, because when I plugged it all in it seemed to work, so why mess. Except it doesn't all work now it seems.

I prefer the idea of everything being controlled by the Plusnet modem router and I have looked in the Linksys settings before for DCHP to switch it off but it wasn't obvious to me at all where this setting was in the Linksys configuration. I need to go back in and look at each sub menu, and probably report back here for guidance.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#57 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

BTW, if I cut the Plusnet out then I'll have to reconfigure everything that's currently attached to it I guess, and it would be easier to make the few mobile things attached to Linksys attach to Plusnet.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#58 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

But before I do any of this I have more decorating to do :(
ed
retired

#59 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:55 am But before I do any of this I have more decorating to do :(
from the main menu:
conectivity -> local network

will show the dhcp tick box and the dhcp address limits...
as a rule I have all my fixed addresses above 100 and all dhcp address between 30 and 99 i.e 192.168.11.x

I would think that if your access point has a standard connection then if you ditch the plusnet you might find the future to be a lot simpler...
Is reconfiguring fixed IPs such a chore?
Nick
Site Admin

#60 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

I would think that if your access point has a standard connection then if you ditch the plusnet you might find the future to be a lot simpler...
Is reconfiguring fixed IPs such a chore?
From what I can see, the router has a ethernet WAN port. I don't know i plusnet supply a seperate modem and router in which case you keep the modem and plug the new router into that, or if they are one part now (as most suppliers are now AFAIK) you would need to set the plusnet part into PPPoE or PPPoA and add the plusnet auth to the new router.

The router seems to offer an access point mode, which is all you need.
Operation Modes:

Wireless Router
Access Point