Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#391 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Correction... it’s a 100000 HP gearbox we are flying.. according to the press releases
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#392 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ray P »

vinylnvalves wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45 am I have colleagues working on the electric plane.. it’s a marketing stunt...
Of course it's a marketing exercise, I doubt it was ever going to be anything else and it was pretty clear from the the article that they're primarily into battery technology development - I hope it works and generates more investment to enable them to grow.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#393 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Tesla boss Elon Musk has revealed that the brand's popular Supercharger network of rapid chargers will open up to electric vehicles (EVs) made by other manufacturers. Musk has now offered more detail on how this will work.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tesla/303388 ... newsletter
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#394 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

A long read but very thought provoking.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -transport
Michael L
Old Hand

#395 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Michael L »

Yesterday I watched a program with Guy Martin on Channel 4 (UK) about electric vehicles (EVs). He did a long distance journey in the UK to see how easy it was to charge the car.
His ‘range anxiety’ was not put to rest. I was surprised to see that apart from chargers not working, it could be expensive charging from high speed charging stations. In fact he said he could have done the journey at half the cost in a diesel and concluded the infrastructure wasn’t yet up to the task.
Well this evening I watched a Youtube video where a Dutch guy and his partner drove their Ionic from Holland down to Bordeaux. This was back in 2018 but they had terrible trouble finding working chargers - particularly from Corri-Door (may be mis-spelled). Back in the Netherlands it was a different story. Everything worked reliably.
Neal
Shed dweller

#396 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Ouch!

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#397 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Ouch, and EXPENSIVE. :shock:

And another,

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#398 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Not a road vehicle, but looks like fun

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-ger ... art%20List

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#399 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by shane »

My nephew was a senior engineer with Dyson's ill-fated car project. He's just got a new job in Eindhoven with a start-up I haven't come across before. The headline technology of using solar panels you'd think would be a complete non-starter, but it's really all about increasing efficiency, and using solar as a top-up to increase range. He started off extremely sceptical but says that what they showed him all made sense.

https://lightyear.one/lightyear-one

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#400 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:29 am My nephew was a senior engineer with Dyson's ill-fated car project. He's just got a new job in Eindhoven with a start-up I haven't come across before. The headline technology of using solar panels you'd think would be a complete non-starter, but it's really all about increasing efficiency, and using solar as a top-up to increase range. He started off extremely sceptical but says that what they showed him all made sense.

https://lightyear.one/lightyear-one
I really like this. Especially as it means that if you have a garage, you'll have to stop using it to park up your car, therefore MORE WORKSHOP SPACE!

Hah!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#401 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by shane »

Good point. I like a man who finds the positives in every situation!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#402 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

A work colleague popped round to see me, in his new Tesla car. Whilst chatting I did some tyre kicking, I noticed that the car only has one pedal, asking him about it. He told me it doesn’t have a brake pedal. Did not notice which model it was. With no brake it can only rely on EMF to stop the car, so some logic between throttle and power demand. So if you take your foot off the throttle does it do an emergency stop? My brother in law has a VW electric car which has brakes on the front and regenerative breaking and drives off the rear wheels. So do Tesla have the IP sewn up on EMF breaking... or are VW not that far up the technology ladder?
Greg
Social outcast

#403 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

Ha, your colleague misinformed you. Just like an ICE automatic, it has a brake pedal but no clutch pedal.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#404 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Confirmed with him it’s a model 3 - which looking on google confusing tells me it has one pedal, on one review and two pedals on another review. Yes unless it was using crash detection to predict what braking is required it will need manual intervention i.e. a brake pedal or lever.
Nick
Site Admin

#405 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I don't think you will find on google that it has one pedal, what you will find is that it supports one pedal driving as an option.

An almost classic example of why "research" on the net can arrive at false conclusions.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.