The Owston that never was..

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#1 The Owston that never was..

Post by steve s »

If it gone ahead I would have brought my big red speakers again.. another px4 amp ...mh4 driving px4.
20200318_162757_copy_1024x768.jpg
Simpler power supplies than my px25 amp. Not quite as clean sounding but still good
My 3 records would have been...
Probably a jazz at the pawn shop track 1st. which I have found very good for analysing how clean an amp is. Although not a dynamic recording still very good
2nd up would have been, invisible beauty of my flower by lenni kalle taipale.
It's s weird combo of deep clean sub bass and lovely piano jazz..
3rd and final, probably a track from one of Suzanne Vegas close up albums. Tom's diner..
Missing it all.. but instead I'm trying get on with the mofo amp.

Once things get back to normal I'll look at booking for next year.. the last weekend in may if I can..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#2 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by steve s »

Just listening to toms diner.. it sounds good.. you will have to take my word for that though !

Who's next ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Ray P »

Hi Steve. Thanks for already planning Owston 2021...

Is there any mileage in squeezing something in sooner too? Maybe something to look forward to just after Christmas? Just a thought - no problem if it's too much to take on. Or perhaps Jack will push ahead with the 'darn sarf' event he alluded to?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Cressy Snr »

I would have been bringing my beer budget system of Fane, single drivers in sealed boxes, the parallel 6SL7 driving triode strapped KT77 SE amp.

My three tracks would be over in no time:

Chuck Berry - No Particular Place To Go.

Elvis Presley - (Marie’s The Name) His Latest Flame.

Nat King Cole - The Very Thought Of You.

Chuck Berry: for the great guitar sound and the immediate, good sounding vocals the Chess label was known for.

Elvis: RCA threw their big classical studio facilities behind him and came up with some stunningly good recordings. Elvis’ voice is particularly well captured on this one as is the bass, acoustic guitar and piano.
And you gotta love that sweetened up Bo Diddley beat. :)

Nat King Cole: big Capitol studio recording with the Gordon Jenkins Orchestra in fine form and that voice of course.

For lush orchestral and fab voices it was a toss up between Scott Walker’s “Joanna” and Nat. Nat just had the edge for the widescreen stereo and the swooping strings in the middle eight, that provide a good test of your treble units, or in my case, your whizzers.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Dave the bass »

Friday night seminar session there weren't 'arf some crap talk in amongst the pearls of wisdom but it was very entertaining all the same. Dave MCRU bought us all dinner (again!).

I brought the best speakers in the world which were coupled to the best amp in the world which played the bestest cool-est-est-est music in the world and everyone (including the bar staff) would've gone "phwwwwwwooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr...thats awethune".

Or summat.

DIET. My amp had 23 power supplies and none were DIY and I had to borrow 8 extension leads.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#6 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:51 pm Or summat.
Been out in the sun too long today Dave?
Ray P

#7 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Ray P »

I guess I would have brought my 300B SE-OTLs along again but this time accompanied by my 'no-DAC' DSD decoder as the source. Hopefully that nice Mr. Shiels would have let me use his speakers again because otherwise I would just have played Simon & Garfunkel's 'Sound of Silence' three times.

I have no idea what three pieces of music I would select otherwise - too much choice!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by IslandPink »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:51 pm DIET. My amp had 23 power supplies and none were DIY and I had to borrow 8 extension leads.
ps. I have all the lost extension leads from the last 2 Owstons.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
chris661
Shed dweller

#9 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by chris661 »

Good job running a live sound business means I have a million extension leads around...

I'd have brought my current HiFi setup:

Choice of tunes would depend on whether the pair of 8" drivers could move enough air for something with a lot of bass. Probably a "HiFi" track (Diana Krall, perhaps) followed by some classic rock or reggae. Something that's not a wonderful 3D recording, but is fun to listen to.

System number 2 would've been the Powersoft amps, Faital 10HX230 coaxials and a 12" subwoofer. Not sure what I'd play through that lot, but probably another "HiFi" tune to show it off a little.

Chris
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#10 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by vinylnvalves »

Assuming the behemoth bass speakers cabinets fitted in the car (people carrier gone). I would have demonstrated the mid range AMT’s which I know Steve S wanted to hear. For music - I wouldn’t pick HIFI tracks that even make an Amstrad sound good :wink:. Probably pick a weird Les Claypole track, to highlight that my system isn’t bass shy, and some other good digital recordings, as I definitely wouldn’t be able to fit the turntable in.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#11 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by vinylnvalves »

Claypool not pole.. in case anyone is looking him up
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#12 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Paul Barker »

Very sorry but I didn’t have naything ready this year, I’m sure you all had a great time!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#13 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Just noticed this thread - sorry I haven't been onto the forum for ruddy ages as had some more urgent issues to deal with - I've managed to find another job now so that panic is over and done with.

Well, this would obviously have been the year that I finally brought my completed Beast power amplifiers, along with Steve C's large Metronomes because they are a match made in heaven (and which have remained completely unchanged from when we bought them, when was it, three years ago?) plus the pre-amp that you've seen before, and some kind of front end, either analogue or digital but sadly not my monster turntable cos it weighs as much as a planet.

Soundtrack - hmm. I think the Mercury Living Presence recording of Stravinsky's 'Firebird' would have been in there, along with the terrifying Shostakovich 11th (my Melodiya recording of that is quite something). Combine good efficient speakers with 75 watts of OTL power and magic happens!
Last edited by Thermionic Idler on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by IslandPink »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm Just noticed this thread - sorry I haven't been onto the forum for ruddy ages as had some more urgent issues to deal with - I've managed to find another job now so that panic is over and done with.
Top notch :!: well done there fella , so happy for you.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: The Owston that never was..

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm Just noticed this thread - sorry I haven't been onto the forum for ruddy ages as had some more urgent issues to deal with - I've managed to find another job now so that panic is over and done with.
Well done Dave, bet you are relieved.

Good to hear you are still enjoying the big Mets.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.