Printer advice.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Printer advice.

Post by pre65 »

I never seem to have much luck with printers in general. :(

Our current printer is an HP Photosmart 5524, and we use it in wireless mode between our two laptops. For some time now, when asking it to print, the computer says printer not on line, then the printer prints.

Today, when I needed to print a parcel label, nothing happens. The wireless on the printer says it's OK, and I've reset the IP address, but nothing. Can't even get anything by USB connection.

Fortunately I managed to coax an old HP deskjet F380 into action and printed a just readable label.

Any suggestions for a good value replacement ? Don't need to print photos, but a scanner built in would be nice, and as I've just purchased 4 x 100ml bottles of ink refillable cartridges are essential.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Printer advice.

Post by Nick »

I have been happy with this for the last six months.

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/printe ... nk-et-2650
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Printer advice.

Post by pre65 »

Wow, that looks a decent bit of kit.

It's a bit more than I was thinking of paying, but I'll give it some thought.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Printer advice.

Post by pre65 »

I notice that Epson also do some lesser specification ink tank printers (and less expensive) which may suit our simple needs more.

Thanks Nick for making me aware such things (ink tank printers) exist. :D

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Printer advice.

Post by Mike H »

I also got an HP, an inkjet. My second, possibly against my better judgement since my first one, the cartridges all dry out if you don't use them up fast enough. It was ancient tho (1995?). I seldom use this one however the cartridges are still OK, maybe they're a more recent and better design.

Anyway, I have same sort of problem, when I want to use it, which is not often, I have to run the HP 'app' on the desktop (shortcut) to make the computer realise it exists. Despite that it's plugged in and detected as a device. The thing can also go into standby mode after a minute or two if nothing happens, which doesn't help. However, once selected (or added as new, can't remember) in the HP app no problems after that.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Printer advice.

Post by pre65 »

I've extended the standby time a bit. Strangely enough I got it working again yesterday, don't really know which action I took made the difference.

Current advice seems to suggests that inkjet printers are not really suitable for low use/occasional users because of the ink drying up problems. Refilling my own cartridges using a hypodermic syringe has made it easier and cheaper to run.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Printer advice.

Post by Mike H »

Never had any success with that. :(

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: Printer advice.

Post by simon »

I gave up on inkjets a long time ago. I only print occasionally and struggled with them drying up etc. The last straw was an Epson that refused to work after the first cartridge change.

So I bought a colour laser printer and pay handsomely for it always printing when I want it to. At least the toner carts last me a few years, and the benefit to my mental health is worth a lot more than the renewal cost!
ed
retired

#9 Re: Printer advice.

Post by ed »

fwiw I had a succession of Epson and HP inkjets up until about 2009....I've had an all in one Brother inkjet(network) since 2009 and it hasn't missed a beat since...
It does get used a bit tho' cos it does all Sandrine's school work.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be