what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#781 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

Now that’s a proper big boy’s toy!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#782 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#783 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Titter you may, but it's a seriously good bit of kit.

Long overdue, but I'm re-staining all the weatherboarding with Sadolin Classic Ebony, clearing all the gutters and refixing the leaf guards with UV-stable cable ties and stripping and re-oiling all the windows with Osmo UV protection oil 425 (oak).

Two coats of everything, three in exposed areas...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#784 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

I had better not make any more aspersions in case Phil tells me off so, yeah, it does look the biz and goes to support the old adage of the right tools making a job much easier.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#785 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 pm I had better not make any more aspersions in case Phil tells me off so, yeah, it does look the biz and goes to support the old adage of the right tools making a job much easier.
Yeh. I'm horrifically offended by your insinuation that I might be stealing lead from roofs.

I'm way more sophisticated than that 8)
Ant
Shed dweller

#786 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Got round to installing the milling machine, had to do alot of sorting out of stuff in order to get it in there.

I took the second bench out of my work space as it was not hefty enough to put the machine on, which meant that all the other stuff that was on there had to be sorted.

Drill press came out, as did the little milling machine. Thats easy enough to store, still need to find somewhere out of the way for the drill press.

Due to having to rehouse the stuff off the bench, i had to sort through my tool cupboard to make some space. It is the old floor to ceiling 3 level airing cupboard that the hot water cylinder used to be in when we had solid fuel central heating. So its nice and big
I could not believe the amount of crap that was in there, and when i went through the boxes on my main bench shelves it was even worse.

Took ages to sort through it all but once all the crap was binned there was plenty of space.

It was not a pleasant experience to lift the bloody thing onto the bench though.......

Also had to buy a new set of engineering drills, found that they are all either missing or worn out. Was only looking for a 2.4mm bit for the jewels i bought for the unipivot bearing....

I do feel much better now ive gone through it all and know where everything is again
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#787 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Feeling a bit miserable :-(.

So, it turns out we have poison ivy in our front wall. And now I have a rather unpleasant and intensely itchy rash, and my right eye nearly closed with the swelling. Fortunately, if that's the right word, I had this 3 years ago without knowing what it was and blimey it was awful. 10 medications and 4 weeks later I was over the worst. So at least I recognised what was going on and knew to move fast.

Steroids today seem to have taken the anger out before it advanced - last time it covered a lot of my body. Feeling a bit crook from them though, and tomorrow I can take the high strength antihistamines which will make me sleepy if it's like last time.

Poison ivy is very uncommon in this country as far as I know. But why on earth would anyone plant the damned stuff just for a week or so of interesting red leaf in September? Who said gardening was a relaxing pastime?!
Ant
Shed dweller

#788 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

That sounds nasty

My lad brushed some with his arm about 4 years ago, there was some growing right at the bottom of the school field where someones fence backed onto it. Brushed it just before coming out of school, and by the time we got home about 15 minutes later his arm had swelled and he was starting to find it hard to breathe

After arguing with the receptionist at the gp surgery who wasnt concerned, and demanding to speak to the gp himself, he told us to come in straight away. 10 minutes to get there, 5 minutes with the gp who prescribed some liquid antihistamines. 10 minutes to get back home and give it him, and half an hour later he was much better if abit groggy. Took a few days for his arm to go back to normal though

Absolutely scared the crap out of me.
The school taped the area off where the ivy was and had it removed.
Horrible stuff

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#789 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

That sounds a nasty reaction. Mine take a couple of days before they start to appear, but then just seem to keep on coming despite medication. I woke up a 4 this morning rather itchy and starting to swell again. Another dose of steroids has calmed it again but the direction if travel is still worse at the moment rather than better.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#790 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

It's when the doc says to you if your lips, tongue or mouth start swelling go straight to A&E that he really got my full attention!!!
Ant
Shed dweller

#791 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Yep he had a real nasty reaction to it, hes not allergic to anything else, doesnt even get hayfever. The only time that ive been genuinely scared by something being wrong with one of the kids
Hope the treatment goes better for you this time!

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#792 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:48 pm It's when the doc says to you if your lips, tongue or mouth start swelling go straight to A&E that he really got my full attention!!!
Quite so.

Get well soon Simon. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#793 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Cheers Phil :-)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#794 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:36 pm Feeling a bit miserable :-(.

So, it turns out we have poison ivy in our front wall. And now I have a rather unpleasant and intensely itchy rash, and my right eye nearly closed with ...

Poison ivy is very uncommon in this country as far as I know. But why on earth would anyone plant the damned stuff just for a week or so of interesting red leaf in September? Who said gardening was a relaxing pastime?!
Grim. Sorry to hear that. Glyphosate might be your friend here... well, you take antihistamine and give the glyphosate to the ivy...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#795 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Aye it was another treatment of glyphosate that lead to this. Just spraying the leaves only knocks it back, it needs severing so the glyphosate can directly penetrate it. And that's where my problems begin... :-(.

Especially as it has grown into the iberis next to it so it needs careful spot treatment.

Hopefully it's all treated now. If not the next step might but a bulldozer!