what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#736 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

also, when I last checked, 20.04 will not install on 32 bit machines...

one of my machines periodically puts up the window suggesting I upgrade to 20.04, but it's a 32 bit machine and consequently fails.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#737 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Made up another pair of cables today as its a 'waiting for bits' day.
Found the last of the mic cable id bought years ago, its bandridge lc4240 mic cable, and its a cable ive liked for ages.
It just seems to have nice top end, and fairly low capacitance is quoted. Really smooth and extended at rhe top, and nicely balanced top to bottom. Ive now got 2 2 foot long sets and 2 short 8" sets.
One 2 foot set goes from the air bearing arm to nicks step up, a short 8" set from the step up to the cole, then another short 8" set to the input switching box, then another 2 foot set to the b1.
So about 5 and a bit foots worth in that chain. Not much more than a standard 4 foot arm cable, and probably abit less than would normally be seen in a chain including an arm cable, phono stage and step up.
The cd player has some van damm xke cables i ran up for it, as does emmas jvc and phono stage.
I like the bandridge cable better than the van damm stuff, but i dont seem to be able to find any more of the bandridge cable in anything other than 100m drums. Which is a shame.
Its nice to have matching cables all way through that bit of the system, the pre to power cables are profi gold cables that are prehistoric but have always sounded good so have been kept. and apparently they are a bandridge brand too.
Nice stuff if you can find it in a reasonable quantity
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#738 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Cressy Snr »

I always used to like Bandridge cables back in the day. Reasonably priced and good sounding.

I’m now on to my second short story, “Pam and Janice Put The World To Rights (aka Rita’s Got A Sink Unit)”
Thoroughly enjoying rediscovering the creative process. I’ve got the ideas together now for a complete series of shorts.

Had some fantastic feedback from my female friends. I would appear that I can write for women. :shock:

Looks like building audio equipment is on the back burner for now. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#739 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:09 pm Had some fantastic feedback from my female friends. I would appear that I can write for women. :shock:
Rights for women!

way to go Steve.

swidt
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#740 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:46 am
Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:09 pm Had some fantastic feedback from my female friends. I would appear that I can write for women. :shock:
Rights for women!

way to go Steve.

swidt
:mrgreen:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#741 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

swearing!

Just received my 7" pi screen and case.....case doesn't fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
had to print a return label for the pi hut and walk to the post office.....waily!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#742 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Got the picture window in the sauna...

7' x 3'
IMG-20201114-WA0006.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#743 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by steve s »

Had a productive day for a change.
Fitted crash bars, vinyl wrapped in white, the covers under the fuel tank cover. Looks more of a normal bike in my opinion now.
Then I decided to move the handlebars to their forward position, I'll see how I get on with the new position on my next ride out on monday.
Continues to be a money pit...
20201211_154500_copy_838x670.jpg
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ant
Shed dweller

#744 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Cutting into a lenco chassis plate this morning with the 4" grinder, when the sparks burned clean through the knuckle bit of my bloody work gloves and started hitting bare skin! That hurt abit.... to be fair they were looking abit threadbare.
Job stops until new gloves arrive. Ive ordered some welding gloves instead that ought to last properly

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#745 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

It's a bugger when that happens. I was cutting up an old galvanised water tank in the loft of our last house using a small angle grinder...

I set fire to a joist, burnt my shirt and, unknown to me until I got out of that cramped space, I ruined a very expensive pair of varifocal glasses (plastic lenses, now with embedded bits of galvanised steel)...

Good PPE is really & truly a GOOD PLAN.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#746 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I found a use for my Chromebook as an "in bed" browsing device. Nice as it is, the small screen size is it's limitation.

I dug out an old Toshiba laptop that has a defective keyboard, but when used with a mini external wireless keyboard (the one I got for the TV) it's OK, and fully up to date with W10.

Today I have converted the Toshiba to a pseudo Chromebook, and it was fairly painless, so now I can bedbrowse with a decent size screen and not worry about all the W10 bloat and crap that are not important for this particular use.

I sit the laptop on a bed table with folding legs which puts the screen at a comfortable height. And, the wireless reception of the Toshiba is better than the Chromebook, a bonus.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#747 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Started the NHS Couch to 5K. Just finished week 1.

I've done a fair few half-marathons and even a marathon last year, but I'm slow... So I want to speed up and run solid blocks of 5K at 10km/h, i.e. I want to get to a 2hr half marathon this year - that's a big ask.

Also on the list is a sprint triathlon and another cross-country marathon in October, plus a number of half-marathons starting around April.

Was swimming in the sea on Christmas day but I also need to get faster over 750mtrs - I can swim 6+km, but not quickly enough.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#748 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Had some floorboards up in the bathroom today trying to track down a wiring fault - had a ring tripping several times yesterday! I found a loose connection, just tightened up the junction box screw and it seems OK now - the downside is that it's a Victorian house so you always find things you prefer not to - when the weather and available daylight improve I'm going to have to lift the floor to address some crappy plumbing and wiring and the floor will have to be replaced to boot.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#749 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

What am i doing..
Pulling my hair out at the moment.
Im half way through building a tt for a customer, and i just keep hitting problems.
This lenco is a teardrop one, but one that has 2 arms. So its plinth is basically a rounded triangle.
Because the main arm is an audiomods series 6, and has an outrigger for the vernier that stucks out by 45mm from the centre of the arm post, the arm board rebate needs to be bigger than usual. about 94mm diameter to clear everything properly, and not be too tight for access to the height lock screw. Usually i use a holesaw to give me the edge of the hole but i dont have one big enough..
This means that as the back corner follows the rebate, it is also larger than usual.

i cant just use a trammell to cut it because the trammell can only go in as far as the edge of the router base. Which is too big.

So, i ended up buying a new circle cutting base for the router which arrived today. It will enable holes frm 20mm up to 690mm.
Its not predrilled for a particular router, and the holes for the baseplate screws on my katsu are blind...

So, i had to make up a set of m3 transfer screws to mark the hole positions.
Not hard to do, but a pain in the arse and time consuming.
It fitted bang on though so it was worth doing.

So, problem solved, i can now cut the rear 2 curves. I also have to cut the front curve that follows the platter trim ring. Usually, i use a guide bush in the hitachi router which puts the front edge 9mm away from the edge of the trim, but as there will be 2 arms, the on off switch cant be where it usually is. That has to be mounted underneath the front edge instead of in the trim ring at the back because the rear arms cart will be near this space. A recipe for a busted cart. So the front edge needs to be further away than usual.
The hitachi has another guide bush big enough, but its too short to use because of the angle cut onto the top edge of the trim.

So, i now have to turn a sleeve for the other bush out of abit of delrin to space it the correct distance off the trim....

Which i cant do until the kids have finished their online lessons for the day because the lathe is set up in the same room..

Fergodsake...... its one thing after another
Last edited by Ant on Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Site Admin

#750 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

and i just keep hitting problems.
But it seems you have solutions for them, sounds like a cause for celebration :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.