General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#166 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:54 am
Today the word is "prebiotic", and I'm looking at foods that have the ability to "feed" the good bacteria in the gut.
I've been examining information relating to prebiotics, probiotics, the digestive system and gut in general and poop.

A very interesting subject. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#167 Re: General health matters.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33 am
pre65 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:54 am
Today the word is "prebiotic", and I'm looking at foods that have the ability to "feed" the good bacteria in the gut.
I've been examining information relating to prebiotics, probiotics, the digestive system and gut in general and poop.

A very interesting subject. :)
Get a hobby! 🤭😁
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#168 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Idling one's way around Google could be Phil's hobby.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#169 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I have decided that my health is my first priority at the moment.

And yes, I do spend a lot of time on YouTube, but the range of subjects is diverse.

Railways, steam and diesel mainly pre 70.

Petrol head stuff, american V8, car restomods (with V8) general automotive engineering.

Health matters, centering on the digestive system at the moment.

CAD engineering and machining.

Craftsmen making things in wood.

Music, mainly choral.

Anything else that takes my fancy. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#170 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:43 pm
Scientists and dietitians have classified Gundry's claims about lectins as pseudoscience.
And you think that sounds likely?
Well Nick, seeing how many Scientists disagree with each other over Covid I really can't say whether his stance on lectins is right or wrong. :?

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#171 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Well Nick, seeing how many Scientists disagree with each other over Covid I really can't say whether his stance on lectins is right or wrong.
Not sure how those two things are connected. What you may be missing in both cases is you need to look at the number disagreeing compared with the number agreeing and the speciality of the scientists on both sides. Also here is a difference between "I disagree with everything you say" and "I disagrees with this one thing you say (but agree with the rest, but didn't biother mentioning that as you know that)".

The classic example of this was the BBC's approach to Climate Change where by wanting to present both sides they had Nigel Lawson given the same platform as a climate scientist which gave the perception that there was a 50:50 split in the science.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#172 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:48 pm Anything else that takes my fancy. :)
Watch out for the vids of high-voltage switchgear opening and closing at power stations. That can waste a significant chunk of a day, if you are feeling lazy.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#173 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

Here's one to warm your cockles Phil;

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#174 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I used to like snacking on salted peanuts, but now I have "discovered" pistachio nuts (seeds really).

Google " health benefits of pistachio nuts " and you may be surprised. They taste nice as well, always an advantage. :D

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#175 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:20 pm I used to like snacking on salted peanuts, but now I have "discovered" pistachio nuts (seeds really).

Google " health benefits of pistachio nuts " and you may be surprised. They taste nice as well, always an advantage. :D
Used to eat them all the time when I was in the Gulf - Iran produces over 50% of the world's pistachios - several varieties too.

They are very tasty if you get reasonably fresh ones, but are stupidly expensive over here.

Ps. There are many cheaper and easier ways of getting the same minerals and vitamins that also don't involve shipping stuff round the world. Carbon footprint/food miles and all that.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#176 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:57 pm
Ps. There are many cheaper and easier ways of getting the same minerals and vitamins that also don't involve shipping stuff round the world.
Prey enlighten us if you may.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#177 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:02 pm
jack wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:57 pm
Ps. There are many cheaper and easier ways of getting the same minerals and vitamins that also don't involve shipping stuff round the world.
Prey enlighten us if you may.
UK made supplements (if needed) and just eating a balanced diet. Humans have managed pretty well on a sensible diet for millennia. Eat sensibly, maintain a healthy weight, keep fit/do decent exercise plus reducing the amount of saturated fat, trans fat, sodium and sugar you eat. It's not magic. Pills and "super foods" are not panaceas - there are large peer-reviewed studies that consistently show little if any benefit from taking supplements unless you are demonstrably deficient in some of them or in a specific group, e.g. pregnant.

Seeing as Googling about health seems to be a thing, try Googling about whether taking supplements makes any difference to most people? Stick to big, long-term, peer-reviewed studies from trusted sources and try to ignore anecdotal tales, pseudo-science or those with a vested interest in pushing a specific agenda.

Tasty though they are, we don't need mangetout from Kenya, or apples from Chile or South Africa. Or, for that matter, pistachios from Iran.

People are lazy and very gullible and will believe anything without verifiable proof if it suits them to do so - remember, (allegedly) 70 million voted for Trump!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#178 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

So, apart from you, we are all fools ?

I take it you only purchase anything if it's made in the UK ?

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#179 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Don't be daft Philip. We can do what we can - all those wines from Chile, S.Africa and Australia, shit trade deals from places as fas as possible from Britain when we could be buying from France, Holland etc etc.

We're Doomed.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#180 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:26 am So, apart from you, we are all fools ?
Don't be silly. Of course not.
I take it you only purchase anything if it's made in the UK ?
We grow a lot of own food and always have done. My wife is from a farming family.

And, yes, we buy pretty much everything we can from local producers and again, always have done. When I was in the Gulf, we always bought all food from UAE/Omani/Iranian producers. Apart from being a lot cheaper than long-haul imports, it was a lot fresher.

It was looking at the ex-pat supermarkets with their French onions, Dutch aubergines and Italian mushrooms etc. that finally convinced me of the insanity of food miles. The seasonal local stuff was cheaper and better in every way.

I admit that I've probably done far more long haul flights than 99% of the population, but when I left the UAE we stopped flying for a minimum of 3 years and probably longer. We have a very low carbon house (self-designed and built) and try to do what we can.

It's a personal choice thing.