General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#211 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Erm.... nobody mentioned HFCS did they? We can all agree it is shit.... can't we.

Looking backwards health is what I had. Looking forward health is what is ever increasingly what I haven't got.

The bastards next door are doing fireworks. I doubt if they know who James 1st was and why.... bang bang bloody bang. Why can't they just go whoosho in glorious technicolour. Our hedgehog will not be enjoying the replay of the 2nd gulf War. What's the bloody point!

I've got the point of my 'smart' meter. Power really is VERY expensive.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#212 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:22 pm Until about 60 or 70 years ago, most people in Europe and the US were pretty slim. There wasn't much skimmed or semi-skimmed milk around at that time.
They also spent a lot less of their time sitting on their arses, life expectancy was lower, food was a bigger proportion of their budget and generally had to be prepared from fresh, etc.etc.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
steve s
Shed dweller

#213 Re: General health matters.

Post by steve s »

Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:52 pm
steve s wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:22 pm
Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:08 pm
Along with my cycling, my varied exercise and sensible diet (everything in moderation) means I'm in pretty good shape for a 64yr old.
Thanks Ray.
lesley walked roughly every other day up to 10 miles at a time, a bit of cycling and had what she thought was a good diet. The day before her fall she spent most of the day playing tig with our 7 year old grandaughter running around for hours. Along with around 5 miles walked .. fitness was no help

It's been a stark reminder to us how precarious the health we take for granted actually is.
Apologies Steve, I wasn't making a judgement on Lesley's diet or exercise regime, just reflecting on the changes I made after my accident and how they've benefited me in terms of my health now compared with how it was in 2010, but you're right, it could all change in the blink of an eye...
Don't be daft Ray, I was just pointing out lesleys fitness ..
When I met her she did circuit training every day... I once went with her.. it was only the once.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#214 Re: General health matters.

Post by steve s »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:46 pm Hope Lesley gets better soon Steve.
Not as much as I do, I've nearly ran out of clean socks, underwear, cups plates and teaspoons..
The bed needs changing too
Cheers...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#215 Re: General health matters.

Post by steve s »

Thats interesting Ed, when coca cola brought out their freestyle machines in 5 guys, burgerking etc, they where very secretive about the fact corn syrup was the main ingredient, where as sugar is the sweetener in bottled and canned 'full fat' coke.
Nick
Site Admin

#216 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:28 pm
IslandPink wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:22 pm Until about 60 or 70 years ago, most people in Europe and the US were pretty slim. There wasn't much skimmed or semi-skimmed milk around at that time.
They also spent a lot less of their time sitting on their arses, life expectancy was lower, food was a bigger proportion of their budget and generally had to be prepared from fresh, etc.etc.
All of which agrees with Marks point that dairy in and of itself is not bad or good.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#217 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:38 pm All of which agrees with Marks point that dairy in and of itself is not bad or good.
Yep, that's the point I was making, there's no silver bullet, its a complex mish-mash of factors.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#218 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

Life expectancy in the early 20th century was heavily affected by higher infant mortality and smoking.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#219 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

I don't know for sure if this is connected, but I have put down some thoughts on what I call the 'NHRA Paradox'

In the 90's used to follow the American (NHRA) drag-racing scene via the 'Duke' annual compilations. I found it quite a crazy scene, liked the progression of the numbers, and the characters in the sport were entertaining.
About 2 years ago I realised that there was a whole raft of old and new NHRA footage on Youtube - so I had a bit of a binge on recent, and older footage from the 1990's and 1980's to fill in some gaps and go back a bit further than the Vids I used to have.

One evening I was watching some footage from 1988. I was listening to one of the commentators, Steve Evans, doing an interview with one of the well-known drivers, either in the pits or by a grandstand, taking about that year's car changes. There were loads of spectators gathered around him, with their baseball hats, sweat bands and drinks. All of a sudden I had a shock when my brain unexpectedly shifted focus from the technical stuff and I said out loud "none of these people are fat ! "
Yes, unlike the crowds of 2005 or 2018 , the vast majority of the crowd in 1988 were slim. Now, drag racing fans have never been very overlapped with the health-food community.
Also, the particular reason it was so surprising was that I'd first gone over to the US ( Colorado ) in 1988. It didn't look like the fuzzy video footage on the old NHRA tape of course. What I remember though, was that there was no shortage of food, and no shortage of junk food. All the restaurants could serve you stupid portion sizes, or all-you-can-eat buffets. There were several aisles of the supermarkets devoted to sweets, cakes and biscuits, and huge bottles of pop.
There has to have been something else that has changed in the last 30 years....
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker

#220 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

i was working in USA in seventies. They were bigger than us but nothing like todays monsters.
Processed food.Not growing fresh produce, peeling washing, cooking every meal. Not even breakfast at home, drive through McDonalds breakfast; in 1977. I was there 4 months through BUNAC.

My life in rural Hampshire at same rea, my dad, the village Doctor, grew all his own vege, mum cooked everything from scratch, I helped by peeling potatoes etc, children helped their busy mums and dads with the food issue, went and dug them up or picked them, brought them to mum, did as told preping it. Food was still highly prized by their generation, what they called “the war” made them value food. Real food.

Processed food the USA diet way back in 77 was full of high temperature processing creating toxins and trans fats, which our bodies havent evolved to cope with. Our livers are overwhelmed by these alien fats, which create fatty liver leading to Not Alcoholic Hepatic Schlerosis. My friend and mentor died a terrible death through no falt of his own, sice we were all ignorant of what has gradually occured since the seventies. Many UK homes are now relying on processed food, takeaways and meals out. All loaded up with fats we arent evolved to deal with. Ill not start on sugar.

First meal out of my life except in Usa that four months, was about my third year at University. I was never once taken for a meal out. Even on our anual holiday mum made packed lunch each day flasks for adults juice for children. We werent allowed “pop”.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

#221 Re: General health matters.

Post by ed »

I posted about corn syrup because I first read some alarming expose/research about 10 years ago, heavily suggesting it was the devil himself. I can't find any of that evidence at the moment, suggesting it might have been secreted away.

however, not withstanding etc etc...I have a very blinkered picture in my head..of a graph showing the introduction and increasing use of corn syrup in everyday processed food..the graph fits almost exactly on top of the graph showing the increase in those countries exhibiting obesity.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#222 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

I can't find any of that evidence at the moment, suggesting it might have been secreted away.
Hmm, I think its more likely your google foo was lacking instead of a global conspiracy. I don't think that there is any doubt as to the danger of HFCS.
All loaded up with fats we arent evolved to deal with.
I think that's like saying we are not evolved to deal with heroine. We are very much able to deal with it, its just it leads to other unwanted side effects in excess. I think if you gave a primitive tribe a metered source of it, the average lifespan of the tribe would increase.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#223 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:08 am
I think that's like saying we are not evolved to deal with heroine. We are very much able to deal with it, its just it leads to other unwanted side effects in excess. I think if you gave a primitive tribe a metered source of it, the average lifespan of the tribe would increase.
Well said.

One of my Dads maxims was "everything in moderation". :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#224 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:24 am
Nick wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:08 am
Well said.

One of my Dads maxims was "everything in moderation". :)
To paraphrase Groucho Marx...

...except Morris Dancing and Incest.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#225 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You know when you're eating muesli and are just about to take a swig of coffee and someone says something ridiculously funny it is amazing just how much half chewed muesli can come out through the nostrils...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.