The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#1126 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:28 pm

I would agree, but it ought to be picked up by an MOT, and if not, maybe that's what needs tightening up ?
Mot testers today usually just give an 'advisory ' on the mot, going by what's said on the forums Mark.
It was different in the 90s I remember swapping over the silencers for the mot.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1127 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

In the UK I thought replacement silencers had to have the relevent BSAU number stamped into the casing. That way the men in blue could determine if they were legal, or not. :?:

I seem to remember silencers and illegal number plates (too small) were the favourite things they "nicked" bikers for.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#1128 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:40 pm In the UK I thought replacement silencers had to have the relevent BSAU number stamped into the casing. That way the men in blue could determine if they were legal, or not. :?:

I seem to remember silencers and illegal number plates (too small) were the favourite things they "nicked" bikers for.
The number plates seem to be the easy target at the moment Phil.

I agree most 'end cans' are approved but many have removable baffles , it appears alot depends on how thorough the mot tester is too
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#1129 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

As suggested elsewhere this may be the first step in the plan to tax EV's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1130 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

steve s wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 pm I agree most 'end cans' are approved but many have removable baffles...
I've often wondered what inadequacy the people who remove the baffles from their exhausts are compensating for? :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1131 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 pm
steve s wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 pm I agree most 'end cans' are approved but many have removable baffles...
I've often wondered what inadequacy the people who remove the baffles from their exhausts are compensating for? :lol:
Why do you feel it's an "inadequacy" to want ones exhaust to be more than a whisper ?

Edmund Burke

Ray P

#1132 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm Why do you feel it's an "inadequacy" to want ones exhaust to be more than a whisper ?
Why do people want an exhaust to be more than a whisper ?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1133 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:17 pm
pre65 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm Why do you feel it's an "inadequacy" to want ones exhaust to be more than a whisper ?
That's not answering my question.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#1134 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:17 pm
Simple answer is it makes them happy. Same reason people build hi-fi's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

#1135 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:25 pm Simple answer is it makes them happy. Same reason people build hi-fi's
Yeah, building hifi makes me happy but I don't feel the need to impose my 'happiness' on the general population.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1136 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Too true. I REALLY don't want to share my hifi with the neighbours but so many motorcycle enthusiasts seem to believe that in general we, the people, will be impressed by the noise.

In Beds, at the mo, the style is a black beamer or audi blowing back or whatever the term is as they rocket from zero to 35 before the next set of lights begs attention. Then there's all that unspent vapour which explodes in the exhaust system; frightening, stupid, wasteful and probably damaging to the v6, 8 or whatever kraft durch teknik. I'm sure this gets the birds though.....

The motorcyclists hit the highroad, and you can hear them for miles around unless they are behind you, and there's all these notices telling us to be aware. The helicopter ambulances are busy....

Fuck'em says I but then I'm old.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#1137 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:30 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:25 pm Simple answer is it makes them happy. Same reason people build hi-fi's
Yeah, building hifi makes me happy but I don't feel the need to impose my 'happiness' on the general population.
Maybe so, but you asked why. I answered your question.

However you do seem to want to impose some other choices on the general population.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1138 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Thing is, what Ray and Andrew are saying is a stereotype of what they consider motorcyclists (in particular) and young car drivers (to a lesser degree) are like.

But, they are entitled to their view, however wrong it may be. :lol:

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1139 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Don't patronise me, squire!!!!!

The good burghers of Beds also want to show off, at enormous cost, just how loud their fireworks can be. I'd be surprised if any of them knew why James was a marked man ( to other catholics) but on they go, terrifying me and other domestic animals, hedgehogs in particular and children, if they don't want to grow up as selfish slobs, who'd rather bed down with a torch and a good book, under the covers or indeed the periodic table and how it has changed over time

These ( appallingly noisy dangerous solopsistic ) people are not like me.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#1140 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:13 pm Thing is, what Ray and Andrew are saying is a stereotype of what they consider motorcyclists (in particular) and young car drivers (to a lesser degree) are like.

But, they are entitled to their view, however wrong it may be. :lol:
Like most stereotypes however there are some examples that it does accurately describe.

However there are already regulations that vehicles should adhere to relating to the volume of the exhausts,

Just wait till they come for your class A amplifiers, see who sympathizes with you then.