The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1201 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Also new reflector with shiny bezel. Things look wonky but they're not.
Also new reflector with shiny bezel. Things look wonky but they're not.
IMG_4170.jpg (90.19 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
-
-
From Wipac service bulletin April 1957, generator type IG1454 outputs.
From Wipac service bulletin April 1957, generator type IG1454 outputs.
Genimag output IG1454-1450 3 terminals.jpg (113.73 KiB) Viewed 2745 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1202 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

And something completely different...

Ride out to Woodhall Spa via Metheringham airfield, and finding out how the low fuel warning light works on the Guzzi V7 850.

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#1203 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

I used to fly my microlight to Metheringham on Sunday mornings....It was a meet for local flyers....bit like the ton-up cafe boys but with wings. Small world, bet there aren't many who've even heard of Metheringham.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1204 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Fab! :thumbright:

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1205 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

No chips?!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1206 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Not this time.

Nearly happened tho, maybe next time. :D

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1207 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Today, the North Lincs branch Moto Guzzi club had their monthly meet at Bardney Heritage Centre – if you're on Farceberk, you could check out my photos (but only if you want to) Bardney Meet FB

Michael L
Old Hand

#1208 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Michael L »

Nice. I used to love the International V-Twin Rally at Shaftsbury Dorset.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1209 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft: It still happens but at a different location.

Yesterday – to celebrate the start of spring (kind of) – < 19 minutes

Trip to The Chestnuts Tearoom at Fleet Hargate, via back lanes to Gedney Drove End and past the River Nene. Also GoPro time lapse test number three. I was having issues with memory cards' write and read speeds.
-

ed
retired

#1210 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

a thought occurred, or more realistically, a question.

does anybody know why the English adopted metric for their engine capacities right back to the early days. The Americans steadfastly stuck to imperial through out, but the English used metric even though using imperial for everything else right up to the late sixties.

just askin.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1211 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

As a counter question.

Does Europe still measure tyre diameters (in the main) in inches ?

I notice the USA sometimes measures engine size in Metric, as an example the petrol Mustang is called the 5.0 (Litres) whereas in days of old it would be a 302 (cu in), and the latest Ford petrol V8 (Godzilla engine) is marketed as a 7.3 (Litres).

I watch a YouTuber called Cutting Edge Engineering in Australia (very entertaining if you like heavy engineering) and he refers to imperial inches as bananas. Someone even sent him a yellow plastic rule marked in bananas. :lol:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Baggy Trousers
User

#1212 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

I claim no particular authority but here goes . . .

The motor car and motoring essentially were European inventions of the late nineteenth century - notably German and French - so it was natural that metric units would be employed in vehicle manufacture. Many of the early British vehicles were Continental products mostly made under licence but even Lanchester, Simms and the likes of Lawson dimensioned their engines metrically, so I suppose it just became the norm in the UK.

Generally, the Americans have been resistant to the adoption of any form of metrication for years but their automotive industry adopted metric units a long time ago; a necessary change to retain any export business. We shared the same degree of resistance here - I remember an MP saying in the Commons, We are going metric, inch by inch.

As for tyres, they have not always been measured imperially. Beaded edge covers (the first pneumatic type) and used up to the mid-'twenties were defined as, for example, 880 X 120. Inches came later but I don't know why they were adopted nor why they have been retained. It is only recently that the Europeans have forsaken BSP threads in their plumbing fittings.
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1213 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

The wheels are on!

-
IMG_4319.jpg
IMG_4319.jpg (194.02 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
-
IMG_4323.jpg
IMG_4323.jpg (173.65 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
-
IMG_4322.jpg
IMG_4322.jpg (97.69 KiB) Viewed 2153 times

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1214 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

IMG_4321.jpg
IMG_4321.jpg (90.03 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
-
-
IMG_4320.jpg
IMG_4320.jpg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 2153 times

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1215 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

ed wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:42 am a thought occurred, or more realistically, a question.

does anybody know why the English adopted metric for their engine capacities right back to the early days. The Americans steadfastly stuck to imperial through out, but the English used metric even though using imperial for everything else right up to the late sixties.

just askin.
I remember while I was still a kid my dad telling me car engines were specified in horsepower, e.g. for a while he had a second-hand (pre-war, most likely) "Standard Eight" (8 hp), altho I was very young at the time and hardly remember it. The authorities based the road tax on the bore diameter, because they had this formula for using that to work out the horsepower. This gave rise to numerous (as in, the most used) long-stroke designs, where you could up the capacity and thus the power but keeping the bore diameter at the cheaper end of the tax scale. Presumably the aurhorities got wise to this and so changed the rules. It then became based on cubic capacity, as a guide to power output, regardless of other dimensions, and maybe because of our proximity to the European mainland, metric was adopted. :?:
-