The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1066 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1067 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Toppsy »

Spotted this on BBC News online 'Technology' pages under the heading "Could this be the worlds fastest electric bike?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... e-59239794

the interesting bit is the unique frame design with a hole through to aid aerodynamics. At the moment it is still be tested and evaluated in Leicestershire but should go into production within the next few years.
Nick
Site Admin

#1068 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

When does a bicycle with a electric motor become a motorcycle?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#1069 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:54 pm When does a bicycle with a electric motor become a motorcycle?
when it has power above 250 watts basically....
there is/are loads of small print relating to the legality of sub 250 watt bikes though...

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

to be a pedant(what's new) it is a cycle and it has a motor ..ergo motorcycle..a piece of pedantry that I'm sure will be picked up by HM government as soon as it's financially practical.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#1070 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Ok, was just thinking about all the ebikes I see advertised.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#1071 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

curiosity got hold of me and I went googling...

Now I'm confused because some of the conversion kits have 500 and 750 watt motors.....not sure how this relates to the rules outlined in the previous link.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Greg
Social outcast

#1072 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

ed wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:20 pm Now I'm confused because some of the conversion kits have 500 and 750 watt motors.....not sure how this relates to the rules outlined in the previous link.
Yes, you can get higher wattage conversion kits that exceed 250W. These are not street legal and are sold for off road riding. Some kits have switches that will limit the power for legal street use. Of course, enforcement will be difficult under current legislation. Certainly I have witnessed what appears to be a conventional electric bike buzzing along the highway well in excess of 30 mph which is only possible with a higher (illegal) wattage motor.
Neal
Shed dweller

#1073 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

It can be a grey area, the current legislation calls for 250w continuous power rating of the motor but the nature of the motor and in reality the PWM controller used for it means peak power can be 750w or higher. Then there’s the gearing used in the motor, wheel size and the battery voltage. It’s easy enough to overvolt the motor and get more speed without exceeding the 250w continuous rating.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1074 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ant! Don't look! :)

And a little video showing the same...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5rphnwb36sdl ... 8.mp4?dl=0
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ant
Shed dweller

#1075 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ant »

I didnt!
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1076 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ant wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:29 pmI didnt!
Phew!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1077 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Quick catch-up – a ride out for Sunday lunch at The Geese and Fountain – 530 miles on the odo now. Someone on one of the forums was complaining about the tyre brand, but sounds to me like just a case of the back end stepping out a bit on a roundabout due to too much throttle – well yeah, if you will do things like that. Can't fault them myself or in fact anything else on the bike, it's so light years ahead of the previous 1970's Guzzis I had before.

I didn't believe the average mpg display, until I did a measured fill-up to double check ...

-
mpg_4060.jpg
mpg_4060.jpg (140.33 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
steve s
Shed dweller

#1078 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Thats brilliant mpg Mike, but I bet thats at a steady rate running in etc.. still looks good long term, my old laverda is lucky to get 35mpg, the modern bikes are on average much better fuel wise, I was getting nearly 70 mpg running in my 1290..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1079 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Paul Barker »

Unheard of economy; Despatch riding in ‘80’s for 6 years central London most bikes sub 35 mpg, chain & sproket sets and daily maintenance off all that nasty stuff to at sticks there in a single day. Tyre costs mahoosive except for MZ since the Pirelli Mandrakes were good economy good trend and long lived.
Slug hired from Chasbikes any day you need a steed, their slugs were totally bullet proof, but the big downside about 30mpg other downside, they’re named slug as regards nimble manoevering, rather lack of! The Honda v twin other orientation top heave high wind profile, going over any bridges you heard on tight and not at all unusual for gusts to lift you both wheels off ground and deposit you a yard from youre line. Also boring and nothing at all to make even a remedial dimwit wanting one.

Kawasaki GT 550 (55mpg, no chain ballokcs daily and fair to tyres. No handling issues or windy bridge issues. Just get carb diaphragms renewed every 50,000 miles, and that’s all.) Best earner I had.

with a mind of professional Despatch rider :
To put food on the dinner table and keep a roof on.

Backup MZETZ250. Always always performed it’s duty. Also no chainnhasstles.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1080 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Mike, I saw that video some days ago, I'm one of your followers - don't you know. :wink:

I thought initially that was a long way to go for a lunch, but checking on Google maps it was a lot less than I thought.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)