The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#856 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Onto brakes next, as it's 3 1/2 years old now problee need to look at bleeding them, speshly as according to a guy on the FB owner's group, he's obviously some sort of mechanic or got his own shop, cos he's done a few, he said the fluid they put in at the factory is not too good and may cause seals to fail; get rid ASAP and put in quality DOT4 (he favours Castrol). Also there was a safety recall in December, I never got the letter, but the word was "rear master cylinder defective" i.e. may fail (no braking, suggests seals failure again) and this has happened to a couple of owners who've posted about it on forums. Anyway I've got a new rear MC to put on and a different brake switch to convert it to independent braking. As it is, it's linked braking but it's a bodge-up to be honest. The MC is exact same as the previous non-linked model, so the pedal travel is now too far. (You're supposed to match the piston diameter to how many calipers, as Moto Guzzi did.) The last linked set-up I had was the Piaggio X10 maxi-scooter and it was a PITA. If you want some rear braking only you can have it, but press a bit harder and the front bangs on, exactly what you don't want when leaned over on a wet roundabout! The Moto Guzzi's I had were somewhat better in this regard, at least the system was a bit more carefully thought out.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#857 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

The BMW R1200st I had some while ago had servo linked brakes and I liked them, a lot. :D

My current BMW, a R1200r, has normal brakes, and I like them. Progressive and powerful. :)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#858 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

My little Lexmoto Isca 125 has linked brakes too, I thinks its a requirement of Euro4 legislation. Front brake lever operates only the front disc but the rear footbrake actuates the rear disc brake and the front slightly. Unless I'd have read it in the manual I'd have never noticed it TBH in almost 7000 miles of riding it so far!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#859 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:09 pm Sorry only just seen this. No sorry no personal experience, my R80 came with helicoils for the rocker cover studs (both pulled out due to too much welly with a socket set), the Moto Guzzi had a insert type repair but was done by a local engineering shop. Image

The insert type seemed much more sturdy to me.
Ok, ta.

I got a quote from Wurth for the1/4" BSF kit which generously includes 5 inserts....... it costs £338.88 + VAT.

:shock:
Greg
Social outcast

#860 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Dave the bass wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 pm Ok, ta.

I got a quote from Wurth for the1/4" BSF kit which generously includes 5 inserts....... it costs £338.88 + VAT.

Not worth it. Helicoil is fine if correctly implemented. I’ve used it without fault many times, and that was with my own DIY application. Without intending to upset anyone, I suggest that Helicoil failure is more about how it was fitted and not about the product itself. Knowing how to drill straight, cut a new thread etc is part of it all. For me, Helicoil has always been a success.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#861 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Greg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:10 pm
Dave the bass wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 pm Ok, ta.

Not worth it. Helicoil is fine if correctly implemented. I’ve used it without fault many times, and that was with my own DIY application. Without intending to upset anyone, I suggest that Helicoil failure is more about how it was fitted and not about the product itself. Knowing how to drill straight, cut a new thread etc is part of it all. For me, Helicoil has always been a success.
I agree with Greg on this.

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#862 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

I've both recoil sets and a full unc helicoil set, as long as your careful breaking the tang off they both work well..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#863 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Caddy's (AJS Cadwell) getting new tyres shortly, I'm not overly keen on the Chinese rubber - several owners state not too good in the wet - then bleed the brakes (new plastic tube arrived this morning - my original is very old and manky, in fact one section I know for a fact was from my dad's brake bleeding kit and he bought that in the '70's :shock: ) - then should be a goer and I should be able to actually ride it!

So far very briefly the 'to do' list has been:

Remove pillion footrests (it's a single seater as stock and I'm never going to carry a passenger); fit a rear carrier and Givi topbox base; wire in the brake light repeater light in the topbox lid; fit Optimate charging lead, then plug it in for a charge (and it needed it); check cables and levers play for adjustment; replace plug cap for NGK VD05F red (was a LB05F red, don't know what that replaced, but a LB05F is not OEM, didn't fit properly anyway); replace Chinese spark plug with NGK C6HSA; WD40 on fuel cap underside (apparently mechanism may seize up then can't open - or replace, can't remember which - this is just one of many advice on owner's Facebook group). Applied Alphadots. Fitted Osram Night Racer bulb in headlight (50% more light); changed the oil (don't know how old, most likely 3.5 years and was put in at the factory - I should explain bike sat in dealer for 3 yrs, then finally bought and registered at DVLA June 2020, then promptly sold to a second dealer where it sat for another 5 months, until I got it). Replace indicators with Shin Yo Mini 21W, micer looking (IMO) and not 10W; replace rear light with a Wipac S448 pattern + LED 'bulb' (from Classic Car LEDs), this seems to be a popular mod, that is, fit a smaller round taillight, which better suits the style of the bike (the Tempest is like that already(?)), Caddy's stock lamp is large and chunky, in fact it barely fits between the lower support tubes of the rear carrier (AJS' own accessory BTW). Fit an exhaust pipe heel guard to prevent burning / melting your right boot sole (or, my right boot sole) on the exhaust pipe ( :shock: ), several FB users have done this, and / or melted their overtrousers on it when putting their feet down). Drilled a drain hole in bottom of air filter box (another FB tip) it fills up with rain water, there was a photo posted (which I can't now find). I went a bit more posh and Araldited in a bit of brass tube, then have a bit of 6mm hose going down. Found out how to unscrew the large round valve clearance covers, needed a better 24mm spanner which I've now got. Similarly a low profile 1/4" drive socket so can get in to retorque the head bolts when the time comes. There are a few other things, but that's the basic gist!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#864 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

I've decided to part with my Tri-BSA scrambler. :( It's lain unloved in the garage for 6 years and I have no intention of racing again, so why not ? I did consider making it road legal, but as I have the BMW for road use it would be a lot of effort for probably little use. And, being realistic, I haven't got the enthusiasm anymore.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#865 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Kinda sad, but it happens. Image

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#866 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Mine -

First ride out on the Cadwell today. It's very nice! Feels very modern. But I suppose it should. Pootling along country lanes at 40 - 50 it feels just perfect. Not so much me. Haven't ridden a solo bike in 4 years so I'm wobbling about all over the place. The steering is VERY quick at slow speeds. Trying to get the hang of selecting the right gear for slow turns. Too low and there's lots of throttle snatch and rather too much engine braking. I have better success to leave it in a higher gear and use clutch control and rear brake.

It doesn't feel too 'lean forward' as I thought it was going to, instead the riding position feels quite natural. The air was bracing. So it was a good idea to get dressed up as if for winter. The suspension is not too firm at all, at least not to me, and I was riding some VERY bumpy lanes that we've got around here! But then I'm used to a Ural. The rear was nice and soft, but then was bottoming out on some of the really big hollows. So I stopped and raised the preload to 2nd notch (started on softest). That seemed to solve that (when I got the bike it was on 2nd notch, so now we know why).

No engine vibration at all. At least not so far. I don't think I had it past 6,000 rpm at any time. At 5,000 it sounds lazy and laid back, not 'busy' at all, which surprised me. But then with only 1 exhaust pulse every second revolution it would sound like a 4-stroke twin doing 2,500 rpm. Needed to alter the clutch adjuster, seemed too long travel before biting, so shortened it (more slack). Front brake with the EBC FA722 pads has loads of power, even straight out of the packet (had only just put them in). About 80 km today. Nothing broke or fell off, which is the main thing. Maybe a longer trip tomorrow!

Photo thingy -
Near Wainfleet, Lincolnshire.
Near Wainfleet, Lincolnshire.
Wainfleet_3590b.jpg (79.49 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
-
Oh and, the seat is not that awful, if looks very thin. I sat on it for about 2 hours no problem.

Baggy Trousers
User

#867 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:04 pm I've decided to part with my Tri-BSA scrambler. :( It's lain unloved in the garage for 6 years and I have no intention of racing again, so why not ? I did consider making it road legal, but as I have the BMW for road use it would be a lot of effort for probably little use. And, being realistic, I haven't got the enthusiasm anymore.
I have a number of chums who are threatening to desert the noble art of biking, all for different reasons - or so they claim - but I'm wondering if this might not, in part anyway, be a reaction to the Boris/Hancock/Covid nonsense. I have found it difficult to stir myself sufficiently to embrace any form of maintenance and there have been several days, particularly the last few, where despite the inviting weather, I just could not be bothered to make the effort. I put this down to the debilitating consequences of lockdown; a view shared with my golf and tennis-playing neighbours.

However, on Thursday, I overcame my lethargy and in company with a couple of other wrinkly rockers, made a raid on Helmet City in Bridport. Glorious sunshine. Despite the world and his wife (and car) also taking the air, we thoroughly enjoyed 120 unexpectedly brisk miles. Glad we did it. Although it's a long way to go to buy a pair of thermal socks.

So Phil, I'm wondering if you may be similarly afflicted and might have a less jaundiced view of things when the weather warms a bit and Boris lets us play in more of the exercise yard. I hope so.
Last of the late brakers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#868 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:35 pm
So Phil, I'm wondering if you may be similarly afflicted and might have a less jaundiced view of things when the weather warms a bit and Boris lets us play in more of the exercise yard. I hope so.
I've ordered a new battery for the BMW, so I hope to be riding in a week or two. :D

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#869 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Fwiw, I've just had a load of bits for my landrover shotblasted and powder coated.

Whilst I was chatting to the owner (who is a keen cyclist and member of the same club as me), I noted that there were a lot of frames around...

He said that during lockdown, loads of folk had got their project cycles & motor bikes out of the shed, stripped them and sent them to him. He had loads, plus a lot of bits of car chassis also being restored.

So, some bikers may be leaving the fold, but others are coming along...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#870 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 am He said that during lockdown, loads of folk had got their project cycles & motor bikes out of the shed, stripped them and sent them to him.
Yep, thats what the local Rebore + Engineering shop have found too. Some folk have had a lot of spare time (and cash) so wheeled out the old rust buckets and started rebuilding them.

I wonder if they'll continue the rebuild now that some of the working-from-homers have to go back to their normal workplaces?