The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#871 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Hmm. For my bike and LR restoration, I've just invested in a zinc plating and passivation setup. Lots of fun...

Also been electrocleaning my nuts prior to plating them (queue DtB)...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#872 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

To be fair, I'm not a restorer of cars and bikes, but I'm not keen on restoring fasteners.

Where stainless is available in the right strength grade I'd prefer to use them. There are loads of people in sheds making and selling stainless parts for old motorcycles, not sure about the Land Rover fraternity.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#873 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 am Also been electrocleaning my nuts prior to plating them (queue DtB)...
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#874 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

I'll do a bit about the electrocleaning & plating etc. In the landrover thread.

I'm replacing most fixings with new either yellow passivated zinc on steel or A2 SS.

The LR is a mix of UNF and metric. I have complete kits of both for the Defender 90 in SS.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#875 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

I luuuve stainless Steel, and as a yorkshireman it cuts out the now expensive chromer.
Make it, pollyshit, job done !

In the 90s a did quite a bit of nickel plating using a fish tank and a battery charger
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#876 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

One can only hope that the fish were not in the tank by then !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#877 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Sunday rideout to JJ's Cafe Hagworthingham on the Cadwell - 30 mins

I'm also trying out an in-helmet microphone ...
-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#878 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

JJs do the very best(not probably) breakfast in the world...
used to go regularly when I lived in Burgh, now visit infrequently when visiting friends...not since lockdown though....

edit:

sorry, bit of a gaff......the very best breakfast is in Rachel cafe, about half a mile down the road from JJ towards Partney.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#879 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

That is as maybe, but they're not open yet! Image

I do like Rachel's as well, used to get a lunch there.

I'll have to try a breakfast at both, things may be different. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#880 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Anybody interested in Lincolnshire Wolds, I did do a ride round after egg and chips at JJ's.

A ride around the Lincolnshire Wolds on the AJS Cadwell, and passing Cadwell Park race circuit on the way back.
60 minutes but skip the boring bits as desired ...

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#881 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I think a virtual ride around the L.Wolds would be very nice after dinner this evening.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Baggy Trousers
User

#882 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:01 am Where stainless is available in the right strength grade I'd prefer to use them.
So do I. And when it comes to old bikes, I find bead blasting of stainless components makes them look surprisingly like nickel bits.

At the beginning of March, I ordered a handful of M8 X 1,0 stainless nuts. Order acknowledged and money taken. Nothing more for three weeks. "Oi! Where's my stuff?" is met with an apology as the goods are stuck somewhere in the canal. This elicits the obvious enquiry to which the answer is "Yes, they are made in China." If I hadn't been desperate for these things, I would have cancelled the order. For Christ's sake - can't we manufacture our own bloody nuts in this country any more? At one time, it was just about all that GKN did. I despair. :evil:
Last of the late brakers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#883 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

My first motorcycle was a Matchless G80s, 1958 from memory, with the AMC gearbox and Girling rear shocks. I purchased it from a fellow apprentice at Marconi and it cost me £10, which was more than a weeks wage at the time.

Being naïve at the time (still a teenager) I got a second-hand high compression piston and close ratio gears for it.

Anyway, what reminded me was that the old piston, a wire-wound aluminium one, was made into an ashtray, with a brass coloured base and a 13" rod connecting the base and piston.

I've still got it ! Now just as an ornament and memento of my youth. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Baggy Trousers
User

#884 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:35 pm My first motorcycle was a Matchless G80s, 1958 from memory, with the AMC gearbox and Girling rear shocks. I purchased it from a fellow apprentice at Marconi and it cost me £10, which was more than a weeks wage at the time.

Being naïve at the time (still a teenager) I got a second-hand high compression piston and close ratio gears for it.

Anyway, what reminded me was that the old piston, a wire-wound aluminium one, was made into an ashtray, with a brass coloured base and a 13" rod connecting the base and piston.

I've still got it ! Now just as an ornament and memento of my youth. :)
Much more exciting than my glass ashtray insert in an old, perished and age-hardened Dunlop tyre. Gave up the snarts 20 years ago but couldn't bear to part with the heirloom smokers' companion.
Last of the late brakers.
Nick
Site Admin

#885 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

When my father worled as a machinest for Perkin's Doesel Engines. We had several heron head pistons converted into ashtrays. Looked very stylish with the grooves for the rings.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.