The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#841 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

They're really cool things... One of those things that I've always wanted to try but glad I haven't (yet) had to... Mind you, I have an old Landrover now...

Apparently, on Al to Fe threads, it's common for manufacturers to use them anyway to limit corrosion and especially on threads that are often adjusted/undone.

Cool things...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#842 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Yep, all the studs in my Ducati were helicoiled I assume from the factory.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#843 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:27 am They're really cool things... One of those things that I've always wanted to try but glad I haven't (yet) had to... Mind you, I have an old Landrover now...

Apparently, on Al to Fe threads, it's common for manufacturers to use them anyway to limit corrosion and especially on threads that are often adjusted/undone.

Cool things...
During the Redditch 350cc Bullet rebuild I asked a local(ish) engineering company to fit a couple for me because I was a bit apprehensive of doing it on my own especially as it was in a mission critical crankcase housing. They took ages because it was only a little job but this time seeing as its on a (still) readily available part I'm going to try it myself.

I've even ordered some olde-worlde Temaxol cutting compound to ensure a clean cut and tiny 2" engineers square to make sure I'm drilling/cutting square and true. Sensible-head engaged!
pre65 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:32 am I'd consider helicoiling the lot whilst it's apart Dave.
I've considered it but it's too scary a proposition (for me) TBH Popz, the other threads were fine when I reassembled the head after getting the valve seats re-cut and the head mating surface skimmed, its just this one that let go so far. If another goes at a later date I'll reconsider again.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
steve s
Shed dweller

#844 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

It's easy dave, I did loads in the 90s on a couple of ariels I restored. The bit you have to be careful of is breaking the tang off, its easy to twist the bottom of the insert and the bolt wont go in fully.
I've only found one stripped thread so far on the bsa, on the gear box.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Baggy Trousers
User

#845 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

It's a bit late now, but the similar system and more effective Time-Sert would have been a better means of repair. I have found it provides improved performance over Heli-Coil inserts.
Last of the late brakers.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#846 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Time-Sert, yep, that name came up when the local engineering company who did the helicoiling job on the Redditch Bullet a few years back. I looked at the Time-sert option Baggy but they don't seem easy to find in the UK in BSF sizes.

What little I have found are very very expensive too, eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Sert-01 ... 2506148072
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#847 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Are they BSF Dave ?

I'd be wanting a Whitworth (BSW) thread in aloooooooooooominum.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#848 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Yes, my Enfield was Whitworth.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#849 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 pm Are they BSF Dave ?

I'd be wanting a Whitworth (BSW) thread in aloooooooooooominum.
Yup, certainly on the 2 Bullets I've got, RE seem to favour BSF thread profile when tapping into Alloy heads and crank cases. Usually 1/4" 26TPI or 5/16 22TPI. The only BSW I remember finding was on a the seat base of the Redditch Bullet saddle!

The 1993 Enfield India Bullet is a mixture of Imperial and Metric size fixings, but the Rocker studs and covers tappings into both the Madras and Redditch alloy heads are deffo BSF.

In contrast to what Greg found on his 250cc RE, my yet-to-be rebuilt RE 250 features mostly BSF threads again in the alloy crankcase I've noticed.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#850 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Having had examples of both, I much prefer the Time-Sert kind of thing.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#851 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Did you find a dealer in the UK for Imperial BSF Time Sert kits Mike?

Wurth seem to stock a lot of metric kits.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#852 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Sorry only just seen this. No sorry no personal experience, my R80 came with helicoils for the rocker cover studs (both pulled out due to too much welly with a socket set), the Moto Guzzi had a insert type repair but was done by a local engineering shop. Image

The insert type seemed much more sturdy to me.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#853 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Doing a couple of jobs on the Cadwell.

The stock rear light is hated by a few owners, big and blocky and not in keeping with the overall cafe racer style, so they say. I finally succumbed and decided to follow suit and change it to a cute little round rear light, which does look more betterer. Also, when you put the rear rack on (AJS's own accessory) the support tubes only just clear the sides of the lamp! It looks like a bit of bodge.

-
Stock rear light.
Stock rear light.
OEM rear light.jpg (134.4 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
-
-

Replica Wipac S446 Rear Lamp (from Vehicle Wiring Products) and plate I made to mount it with.
Replica Wipac S446 Rear Lamp (from Vehicle Wiring Products) and plate I made to mount it with.
IMG_3565.jpg (100.43 KiB) Viewed 3283 times

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#854 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

The Wipac light - the 'bulb' is a red LED BAY15D from Classic Car Leds (only just fits with a bit of modification, the lamp normally uses a miniature version of BAY15D? Like a 5W BA15S? Image )

-
IMG_3568.jpg
IMG_3568.jpg (74.01 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
-
-
IMG_3566.jpg
IMG_3566.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
-
-
Another view showing more nicerer round reflector, below number plate
Another view showing more nicerer round reflector, below number plate
IMG_3567.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
-

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#855 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

The possible handicap of having a really bright bulb in a red lens is that it might show white(ish) and displease an over enthusiastic traffic policeman.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)