The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1156 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:21 pm
Thanks for the solicitude Phil - the embarrassment happened at a very slow walking pace so the only evidence of this silly episode is a few scratches to the plastic fairing. This was a remarkably tight corner and even with the steering on the stop, there was no way I was going to get around before falling into the deep ditch on the other side, so displaying an extraordinary presence of mind, I just dropped the bike! Frankly, I think the ladder-frame Ducatis are very poor in this regard and the characteristic potentially dangerous - I would have been in some trouble if a car had been coming down the hill in the opposite direction.
I'm glad you are OK, we don't want to lose you.

Bikes can be repaired.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#1157 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

My ktm superduke, when I picked it up had quite a limited lock to lock, I had read about it on a review so took it was normal .

When I checked it out, I found that I could adjust the lock stops, which made such a difference. To the point it felt like any other bike
Nothing was trapped or unduly stressed with the new found lock, but it made me wonder why it had been built like that ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Baggy Trousers
User

#1158 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

steve s wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:36 am My ktm superduke, when I picked it up had quite a limited lock to lock, I had read about it on a review so took it was normal .

When I checked it out, I found that I could adjust the lock stops, which made such a difference. To the point it felt like any other bike
Nothing was trapped or unduly stressed with the new found lock, but it made me wonder why it had been built like that ?
The KTM is a rather different animal - in many regards! I suspect the selling dealer did not check the steering as part of the pre-delivery inspection. In the case of the Ducati, the frame widens quickly behind the headstock to severely restrict the area in which the yokes can turn. This isn't a problem at normal riding speeds, but can catch you out in particular circumstances, as it did me. It also requires a 57-point turn to do a 180 in the car park! Lovely looking bike but I'm too old for this sort of nonsense. :cry:
Last of the late brakers.
Baggy Trousers
User

#1159 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 pm Bikes can be repaired.
True, if you can get the parts. But why bother? You can buy a replacement for less than the cost of a repaint.

A friend lent me a VFR 800 Honda for a week - I returned it after a couple of days.
"Didn't you like it?"
"Yes, I did."
"Then why have you brought it back?"
"Because if I keep it any longer, I shall either be in jail or dead."

It was a good-looking bike in excellent condition and for which he had paid £1,700. See what I mean?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1160 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:17 pm
A friend lent me a VFR 800 Honda for a week - I returned it after a couple of days.
"Didn't you like it?"
"Yes, I did."
"Then why have you brought it back?"
"Because if I keep it any longer, I shall either be in jail or dead."
I can identify with that.

I don't suppose I will be biking again till spring 2022, but looking forward to it.

Will have been 2 1/2 years since my last ride. :(

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1161 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:22 pm Will have been 2 1/2 years since my last ride. :(

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1162 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Sidecar iitting continues apace – here is Dave Angel's photo from Saturday, showing fitting of the chassis and alignment.

He did a quick test run today then had to 'phone me to ask what does the flashing red warning triangle mean? I said sorry forgot to warn you about that – all it is, it's telling you to change up a gear ... part of running in procesdure, it's currently set to 4,500 rpm (it's adjustable). There's another one higher up but I can't remember at what point.

-
Photo: F2 Motorcycles Ltd
Photo: F2 Motorcycles Ltd
Moto Guzzi V7 (850) and Velorex Sport.jpg (121.06 KiB) Viewed 3046 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1163 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

All finished. Collecting it on Friday. :D

-
V7_850_802b.jpg
V7_850_802b.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1164 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Paul Barker »

Nice
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1165 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Very nice !
I'm guessing this is not the Dave Angel from the Fast Show ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

#1166 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

That will slow you down mike...
Looks good though
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1167 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:21 pm Very nice !
Pretty sure not.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1168 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:21 pm Very nice !
That remains to be seen! :D

Baggy Trousers
User

#1169 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

This is a smart-looking combo.

I have to admit I'm not into outfits, but some sixty years ago when living in London, a retiring window cleaner gave me a sidecar chassis complete with ladders, buckets and other apparatus necessary to conducting his business. Attached to this was a very tired 16H Norton. This was a dreadful contraption and negotiating left-handers was particularly hazardous. I had to consult the A to Z in order to plan a route which did not include these debilitating changes of direction; thus it became necessary to retain the ladders etc. to keep things on the ground and ensure less circular progress.

There is a skill in piloting these machines. I don't have it but I'm sure Mike has.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1170 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

UK to ban petrol motorcycles by 2035.

"When it was announced, back in December 2020, that combustion-fuelled cars and vans would be banned from sale in the UK from 2030, motorcycles appeared to have dodged a bullet. Alas, last week’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan has sealed their fate, with the Department for Transport announcing that from 2035, “all new L-category vehicles to be fully zero emissions at the tailpipe”. L-category vehicles, or Powered Light Vehicles, comprise powered two and three-wheelers (motorbikes, mopeds etc), quadricycles and 'micro cars'."

Edmund Burke