The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1141 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:08 pm However you do seem to want to impose some other choices on the general population.
When did I say that?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1142 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:13 pm Thing is, what Ray and Andrew are saying is a stereotype of what they consider motorcyclists (in particular) and young car drivers (to a lesser degree) are like.
No I'm not Phil so please don't try to speak for me! I specifically referenced a sub-group;
Ray P wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 pm ...the people who remove the baffles from their exhausts...
For what it's worth, I think the majority of motorcyclists and young car drivers are fine.
Last edited by Ray P on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
shane
Social outcast

#1143 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:45 pm Too true. I REALLY don't want to share my hifi with the neighbours but so many motorcycle enthusiasts seem to believe that in general we, the people, will be impressed by the noise.

In Beds, at the mo, the style is a black beamer or audi blowing back or whatever the term is as they rocket from zero to 35 before the next set of lights begs attention. Then there's all that unspent vapour which explodes in the exhaust system; frightening, stupid, wasteful and probably damaging to the v6, 8 or whatever kraft durch teknik. I'm sure this gets the birds though.....

The motorcyclists hit the highroad, and you can hear them for miles around unless they are behind you, and there's all these notices telling us to be aware. The helicopter ambulances are busy....

Fuck'em says I but then I'm old.
There’s a little rural garage outside Ugborough which offers a caring and considerate service to all the locals who want their old Subarus and Honda Jazzes to struggle from one MOT to the next. On his forecourt is a caravan containing a mid 20s Romanian who does valeting for those who want a year’s Devon mud removed from the floor mats. He drives an immaculate white Mercedes coupe with the archetypal blacked-out windows and bling wheels, a sodding great big V8 and apparently no silencers whatsoever. Curdles the milk for miles around when he drives out but it makes me giggle every time I see it. Long live open exhausts, I say.

Hate the fireworks though.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1144 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by vinylnvalves »

On a positive note - engines running without the right exhaust generally run lean, so get hot and ultimately knacker the engine, then they are quite :) . A guy I know has a couple of Brough’s - with noisy exhausts, but to keep them to original spec has straight pipes. On a modern bikes no excuse- even the piles of sh*te I rode 35 years ago were quite.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1145 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Quiet... not quite (bl**dy spell checker)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1146 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

There is always something to be said for eccentricity.

I had to look up Ugborough though. I'd expect a village east of Whitehaven or west of Bishop's Auckland but Devonnnne!!! Deffo quite quiet down there.... until 😉
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#1147 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

On a positive note - engines running without the right exhaust generally run lean
Which is why you need to tamper with the ECU (see earlier). Not that I am suggesting that overly loud exhausts are good things, but I am in favor of choice within the current regulations.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#1148 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

I think the current trend is to remove any choice from statutory regulations.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#1149 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Yes, this legislation would also require using OEM parts for repair, so I can see the manufacturers being in favor (or maybe they are more actively promoting it).

The fact they use "tamper" instead of "modify" already colours the discussion and points to their intent (IMHO).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1150 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:00 am
Not that I am suggesting that overly loud exhausts are good things, but I am in favor of choice within the current regulations.
I'm not in favour of OVERLY LOUD exhausts either, but when wearing a crash helmet and ear plugs it's helpful to be able to hear the exhaust.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#1151 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You know, they said you didn't have a sense of humour but I denied this, 'corse he does, good old Phil, but you have no idea how daft your last post sounds ( to someone who knows almost nothing about motorcycles) .
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Baggy Trousers
User

#1152 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

jack wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:07 am As you well know, the Boeing issue was a systematic failure - many many processes failed.

If there is a positive from that, it's that the issues regarding changing flight control systems are now better understood and processes will be improved.
Indulge me another off-topic moment please whilst I make a quick response to jack's observation.

Yes, the Max problem was a cascade of failures. But it was the basic philosophy which was at fault. Boeing sought to upgrade/adapt an existing and successful design - the 737 - to meet changing market requirements and do this within budgetary constraints and a window of time which would allow them to remain competitive with the Airbus equivalent. They chose to fit larger engines which could not be accommodated on the existing wing structure - insufficient ground clearance. So to achieve the required clearance, they moved these larger and heavier powerplants forwards and upwards, thus altering the overall centre of mass and the fundamental balance of the aircraft. To deal with this essential imbalance, the manufacturers chose not to eliminate the cause of the problem but to disguise its effects by introducing a series of computer-driven controls. Boeing then compounded the matter by failing to educate the operators and pilots of the command procedures of this added technology - one of the sales pitches was that as the aircraft already had been in service for years and that the new stuff was fully certified by national compliance agencies, there was no need for expensive additional flightdeck crew training. Consequently, the pilots were unable to fly the aircraft in circumstances where the computers had control authority.

For years, there has been a joke amongst transport pilots that future aircraft will be flown by computers, a pilot and a dog. The computers fly the aircraft, the man is there to make the self-loading-freight in the back feel more confident and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he dares to touch anything. Not so far from reality, it would seem.

I agree, this imbroglio will generate improvements in electronic systems, but my point is that such will have been for completely the wrong reasons.

Now, did I tell you I fell of my Ducati because the steering lock is so bloody poor that I was unable to negotiate the sharp, uphill hairpin bend?
Bummer! It'll go on the market once the last of the salt has been washed away next year.
Last of the late brakers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1153 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:26 pm
Now, did I tell you I fell of my Ducati because the steering lock is so bloody poor that I was unable to negotiate the sharp, uphill hairpin bend?
Bummer! It'll go on the market once the last of the salt has been washed away next year.
Cripes !!

Are you OK Baggo?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

#1154 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Paul Barker »

jack wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:07 am As you well know, the Boeing issue was a systematic failure - many many processes failed.

If there is a positive from that, it's that the issues regarding changing flight control systems are now better understood and processes will be improved.
Indulge me another off-topic moment please whilst I make a quick response to jack's observation.

Yes, the Max problem was a cascade of failures. But it was the basic philosophy which was at fault. Boeing sought to upgrade/adapt an existing and successful design - the 737 - to meet changing market requirements and do this within budgetary constraints and a window of time which would allow them to remain competitive with the Airbus equivalent. They chose to fit larger engines which could not be accommodated on the existing wing structure - insufficient ground clearance. So to achieve the required clearance, they moved these larger and heavier powerplants forwards and upwards, thus altering the overall centre of mass and the fundamental balance of the aircraft. To deal with this essential imbalance, the manufacturers chose not to eliminate the cause of the problem but to disguise its effects by introducing a series of computer-driven controls. Boeing then compounded the matter by failing to educate the operators and pilots of the command procedures of this added technology - one of the sales pitches was that as the aircraft already had been in service for years and that the new stuff was fully certified by national compliance agencies, there was no need for expensive additional flightdeck crew training. Consequently, the pilots were unable to fly the aircraft in circumstances where the computers had control authority.

For years, there has been a joke amongst transport pilots that future aircraft will be flown by computers, a pilot and a dog. The computers fly the aircraft, the man is there to make the self-loading-freight in the back feel more confident and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he dares to touch anything. Not so far from reality, it would seem.

I agree, this imbroglio will generate improvements in electronic systems, but my point is that such will have been for completely the wrong reasons.

Thank you I found that easy to read and comprehend and no sense of bitterness or any other emotions embedded. Top banana. Crap about youre bike ! If I may make a suggestion, speaking as a top Despatch rider , actually the top rider A to Z couriers 198n’s. Get an ETZ 250. Most reliable bike I ever owned after I replace both fuses with paper clips (standard Despatch rider modification) as long as you have a friendly bike spanner man who will stay up all night doing whatever it is they do to the combined kick start gear change every 50,000 miles.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Baggy Trousers
User

#1155 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 pm
Cripes !!

Are you OK Baggo?
Thanks for the solicitude Phil - the embarrassment happened at a very slow walking pace so the only evidence of this silly episode is a few scratches to the plastic fairing. This was a remarkably tight corner and even with the steering on the stop, there was no way I was going to get around before falling into the deep ditch on the other side, so displaying an extraordinary presence of mind, I just dropped the bike! Frankly, I think the ladder-frame Ducatis are very poor in this regard and the characteristic potentially dangerous - I would have been in some trouble if a car had been coming down the hill in the opposite direction.

Paul. Thanks for the suggestions. However, there are two major problems here. Firstly, 20 hp is grossly inadequate for my style of riding and secondly, having had a 1936 GTP Velocette as my first bike back in the early fifties, there is absolutely no way, I mean in NO circumstances at all, that I would ever again have a stroker. Weeeee, weee, nig nig nig, weee nig nig. No thank you. I'm sure the ETZ is an excellent machine, but not for me, I'm afraid.

Now, you are all badgering the Department for Transport, aren't you?
Last of the late brakers.