The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1081 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 pm Ant! Don't look! :)
And a little video showing the same...
Find the culprit(s) and turn them into paperweights!
PXL_20211117_161209556.jpg
PXL_20211117_161209556.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
(from my desert Jeep rear differential. Made an interesting noise, they did... obviously nibbled by cyborg rodents...)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1082 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Tooth decay ! - call for a dentist !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1083 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Good grief! :shock:

I may be premature on the mpg – today's measurement (at a petrol station) works out at 54 mpg – think it depends how much you can actually get into the tank – the bike does lean over quite a lot on the sidestand which makes filling awkward, and the top right side of the tank is higher than the filler 'ole! :shock:

However 50 something is not to be sneezed at. :thumbleft:

I dare say depends a lot on what sort of roads and speeds, the above was after the Geese and Fountain trip, and today, a ride out to Rachel's Cafe, all on A and B roads mostly.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1084 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:02 pm I thought initially that was a long way to go for a lunch, but checking on Google maps it was a lot less than I thought.
It's an excuse for a ride out. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1085 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

jack wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:09 pm
Dave the bass wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 pm Ant! Don't look! :)
And a little video showing the same...
Sorry must have missed that earlier. Not good! :shock:

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1086 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:02 pm Mike, I saw that video some days ago, I'm one of your followers - don't you know. :wink:
Which one are you then?

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1087 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:06 pm
pre65 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:02 pm Mike, I saw that video some days ago, I'm one of your followers - don't you know. :wink:
Which one are you then?
I'm me. Does in not come up with my real name ? :?:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Baggy Trousers
User

#1088 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

VEHICLE TAMPERING

I can't find a "New Topic" box to tick, so will have to post this here.

Shapps's dysfunctional department is proposing to outlaw any modifications made to any motor vehicle's manufactured specification.

Stated at its simplest, this means that you will not lawfully be able to fit alternative mudguards, handlebars (or grips!), timing chain or even a crankshaft which has not been supplied by the original equipment manufacturer. This prohibition is not confined only to national type approved components but to every component of the original specification. Pattern parts supplied by third party producers will not be allowed, causing an owner to be trapped in the OEM's pricing structure without access to alternative, cheaper or better components.

This is yet another example of needless authoritarianism and should be strongly resisted. I know MAG and others will be alive to this nonsense, but I think it important for as many as possible to swell the ranks of motorcyclists who inevitably will be profoundly affected by this draconian proposal. You can respond to this Department of Transport "consultation" via the government website - sorry I don't have a link. Please provide your fourpence worth, not that it is likely to influence the jobsworths in any way but it will make you feel better and could remind the little Hitlers that there is quite a few of us out there and some of us still have the strength and will (just!) to vote.

PS Thanks DtB.
Last of the late brakers.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1089 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

It's despicable, and makes me strongly suspect he's getting backhanders from some big corporations.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1090 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Is it really this Draconian? It seems to be aimed at stopping folk messing with autonomous vehicles (which seems sensible to me). It's worth reading the source material rather than the rather dramatic and generalised summaries in the press.

From https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -standards

[quote]We would like to emphasise that our policy intention is to prevent modifications that have a negative impact on road safety, vehicle security and the environment.

We do not intend our proposals to:
  • prevent legitimate motorsport activities
  • prevent restoration, repairs or legitimate improvements to vehicles, such as classic cars or motorbikes
  • negatively impact businesses involved in these activities
Nick
Site Admin

#1091 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

I don't know if you have noticed just how trustworthy our government is being at the moment?
We do not intend our proposals to...
But they might anyway, it just wasn't the intent, honest. It seems a bit like a vehicle version of "think of the children"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1092 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:47 am I don't know if you have noticed just how trustworthy our government is being at the moment?
We do not intend our proposals to...
But they might anyway, it just wasn't the intent, honest. It seems a bit like a vehicle version of "think of the children"
I don't trust any government, regardless of party. Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition are, IMHO, a bunch of ineffectual, lying weasels too.

However, we are governed by consent in the UK. Unpopular laws rarely last long.
Nick
Site Admin

#1093 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Remind me about the weed killer you use again?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1094 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:04 am Remind me about the weed killer you use again?
Very rarely (like once every few years), we have used commercial glyphosate on Japanese Knotweed and deadly nightshade. Not for probably 8 or 9 years now.

Your point being?
Nick
Site Admin

#1095 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

My point being that it may look like unpopular laws are eventually repealed if in the meantime you can assume they don't apply to you. In this case 1. The majority won't give a toss as long as they can get a new car on a PCP. And 2. Even if the law was repealed by then the small companies making after market parts will have gone so it will make no difference.