The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#826 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Of course I really haven't got a clue what the bass n treble controls are! It seems to me that they would get in the way of what is supposed to be happening in the er, cylinder?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#827 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Don't tell MarkJ this info (he thinks they're bass n treble controls...hehehehehe etc.....).

The pointy-out thingys are the ends of the valve stems. The inlet valve allows the air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber and the exhaust (does what it says on the tin) lets the burnt gasses out where it flows into the exhaust pipe. The bits you can see sticking out are usually covered by springs which help close the valves after they've been opened by levers called rockers (they rock up and down).

See here...

Hope that helps.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#828 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

To the foregoing ... :lol:

Tried on the new handlebars to see what they look like and if everything fits. They'll come off again later because I want to add bar-end indicators, so will need to drill a hole in the middle of the tube to let the wires out.

Prior to this as the front wheel is in to be trued up, I attached the front brake cable to see how it fits, jeez I've forgotten how rubbish these cable drum brakes are! :shock: I might need to look at a better cable ...

-
IMG_3539.jpg
IMG_3539.jpg (111.09 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
-
-
IMG_3540.jpg
IMG_3540.jpg (100.67 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
-
-
IMG_3541.jpg
IMG_3541.jpg (103.17 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#829 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:07 am Glad to be of service, feel free to ask anymore questions, if I don't know the answer I can always make something up 👨‍🏫
Be careful.

I was still at school when the early atomic tests were being conducted in Australia and the Pacific. During a lunch in the dining hall, the master in charge of my table (and who must have heard that I had just completed my first Williamson and therefore was frightfully expert) said
Tell me, young Trousers, what is this radioactivity I keep hearing about?
Well, at that age I already was a disciple of Oscar Wilde who claimed that there was nothing wrong with talking nonsense; the crime was to do it unconvincingly. Not liking to be stumped for an answer, my response was
Well sir, radioactivity is an electro-physical phenomenon whereby nuclear fission causes a wireless to spring into life, regardless of whether it is switched on or off, or even plugged in.

Thank you.

A few weeks later and under similar circumstances, the master said
Trousers, do you remember my asking you about radioactivity?
I suspected something less than pleasant might be brewing, so hesitantly said
I think so, Sir.
Well, It might interest you to know that I quoted your explanation at a Rotary Club meeting last week and was made to appear extremely foolish as a consequence of your devilry. See me in my study after dinner this evening.

Needless to say it was six of the best.

Prenez garde!
Last of the late brakers.
Neal
Shed dweller

#830 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

Looking good Mike but are you sure that’s not a push bike you’re building :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#831 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

That's harsh treatment Mr. BT. - 'buyer beware' ! One has to be open-minded about the benefits of education.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#832 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Neal wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:56 pm Looking good Mike but are you sure that’s not a push bike you’re building :D
Yep it's not too many steps up from a push bike. :D A whole 4 horsepower don't you know. To stop you chuck a brick out tied to the end of a piece of string.

Today I did some wheel truing – neffer dun it beefor but it all seemed to go rather well
-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#833 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:21 am That's harsh treatment Mr. BT. - 'buyer beware' ! One has to be open-minded about the benefits of education.

Have no fear Mark, I'll keep learnin' you reel good and proper like!
steve s
Shed dweller

#834 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

The bsa is going in the right direction managed to get a few hours in this week on it, rear brake rod made, handle bars sort of loaded up, and a few other little jobs. waiting for a new throttle cable, next job is the engine, but there's a couple of weeks work in decorating our hallway that will put this on the back burner.
20210319_153128_copy_600x800.jpg
20210319_153128_copy_600x800.jpg (215.61 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
20210319_153059_copy_600x600.jpg
20210319_153059_copy_600x600.jpg (232.79 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#835 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Brum Brum!
steve s
Shed dweller

#836 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:03 am Brum Brum!
I'm a way off making any sort of noise dave..

Excepting a fair bit of occasional swearing !
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Baggy Trousers
User

#837 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

That's some valve lifter handle. :)
Last of the late brakers.
steve s
Shed dweller

#838 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:25 pm That's some valve lifter handle. :)
Your right.. I have the smaller type but the cable has the wrong end for it..
And its one of the few cables in good nick..
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#839 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Talking of which...I only run the 500cc Bullet at (Indian home market) standard 6.5:1 compression so I've decided to try it without the de-compressor and blank it off with the kit. Its an easy swap if I find its too much to kick over. It's all in the technique y'know etc etc.

In other news, I've had to learn how to fit a helicoil insert, one of the rocker studs let go when I was reassembling, meh.

That neat coil of alloy should be in here....

(middle hole is the rocker oil feed), whatta bummer.

Hooray for the interweb and tutorials, so I bought a BSF 1/4" to 1/2" set which will set me up nicely for sorting out the billion and one naff threads in the GT250 when I rebuild that too...

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#840 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

I'd consider helicoiling the lot whilst it's apart Dave.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)