The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3256 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

^^SPAM^^
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#3257 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Didn't realise that Alex Dowsett has haemophilia - really puts wat he has achieved as a pro cyclist into a new light.

Came up a bit short with his 1hr attempt though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/59158567

but I still find those sort of speeds amazing. Last night, out of interest, I did a 1hr ride on Zwift over a pretty flat route (162metres of elevation) and covered 35.3Km - on a totally flat route or if I completely buried myself I could go a little faster but not 15kph faster!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3258 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I wish that had been a bit more publicised. I came across a live feed of the attempt last night on Youtube, but it had just finished. It would have been great to watch.
The speeds are ridiculous though, very impressive.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3259 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Wow, 54.55km didn't even break the British record !

I knew he was haemophiliac though. I suppose that these days, if he has a bleed somewhere, they can just pump in some of that stuff they use for tubeless tyres ?
Ray P

#3260 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

We had a haemophiliac at my school, 50yrs ago, and he was always having time off after bumping into things and occasionally was seriously ill after a significant trauma - I'm guessing the medication and treatment has much improved in the intervening period so maybe it's a marginally less serious issue nowadays? Also, as it's an inherited condition maybe they can screen for it more effectively.
Ray P

#3261 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I bagged another personal challenge this afternoon - I rode up Mont Ventoux - on Zwift of course.

It's the hardest ride on Zwift, uphill straight out of the blocks, 21Km (13miles) to the top which is at 1533m (5030ft). Officially it averages 8% but most of it seemed to be around 9-11%. I treated myself to the descent too, averaged about 64kph (40mph).

It wasn't as hard as I imagined it was going to be and I never felt as though I wouldn't make it - I set off at a steady speed as I wasn't sure what to expect and actually caught a few people towards the top so I guess I measured my effort better.

No Strava screengrab though, Zwift crashed at 43.3Km (26.9miles), literally only about 100metres from the finish line! Grrr :x I had to enter the basic stats manually.

https://zwiftinsider.com/route/ven-top/
Last edited by Ray P on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3262 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Have you been in the Alps, Ray ?
Ray P

#3263 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:05 pm Have you been in the Alps, Ray ?
Not for real Mark but I've riddden the Zwift virtual Alpe d'Huez around 8-10times and the Innsbruck UCI Worlds climb a good few times . The Zwift climbs, like Ventoux and d'Huez, are accurate renderings in terms of gradients/distances and certainly work the automatic resistance feature in my snart trainer - they're genuinely hard workouts.

I think I'll leave off Ventoux for a while now I've done it - riding it is a physical grind and a mental drag.

https://zwiftinsider.com/route/road-to-sky/

Ray
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3264 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

My question wasn't related to whether Zwift was accurate, i just wondered if you'd been in the Alps.
Ray P

#3265 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:38 pm My question wasn't related to whether Zwift was accurate, i just wondered if you'd been in the Alps.
So the answer is no, though it would be 'fun' to try one or two of the iconic climbs for real.

If I could choose somewhere to take a riding holiday it would have to be Italy though - I've visited the Tuscany/Umbria region a few times and always wanted to ride there. The terrain isn't mountainous but rolling, with some hard shorter climbs - place is just beautiful.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3266 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.
The Alps are a bit daunting, and some of the main valleys are pretty industrial and busy.
The Pyrenees are more pleasant and more of a holiday destination. I think my favourite place was Luz Saint Sauveur and the West side of the Tourmalet. The Soulor/Aubisque is close to the North from there too.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3267 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Alex Dowsett has put up a fair bit of pre- & post-race comment on the hour record.
I see he used a nice hefty gear of 61 x 13 for the attempt ... at 95rpm. Another illustration of what the speeds are like nowadays !
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3268 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Managed to get my (new to me) Tacx up and running and fitted to bike.

New cassette, chain & cleats for my bike; cassette, chain and brake pads for SWMBO. Chains were both out of spec and major overhaul long overdue. Invested in a Park Tools chain gauge - excellent and well worth it.

Both bikes stripped. All components stripped, ultrasound cleaned (sooooooo much easier than manual degreasing and cleaning), reassembly with FinishLine Premium & Ceramic Grease, occasional LocTite and lots of TLC. Indexing realigned etc... All reassembly using torque wrench etc.

First time on a bike since the op, so ultra cautious, especially with new cleats and having to kick the heel out to disengage - a pretty painful movement ATM. Also, the knee flexion is at my limit at the moment - I have nearly 120 degrees of movement which is apparently quite exceptional at this stage, but still not enough. I need to find another 5.

Did a gentle 1.8km at about 170W with a cadence of around 50. That's more than enough for today.

Chuffed!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#3269 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:28 am Chuffed!
and so you should be!
Ray P

#3270 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Back on Zwift this evening after a 10 day lay-off following my recent fall - hand/wrist/arm aren't fully mobile or back to full strength yet but no problem with the ride and gear shifting was fine. I rode up a mountain outside of 'Innsbruck' to celebrate being back in the saddle!

It's the wrong time of year to have a lay-off so I have a little work to do to offset the comfort eating.