The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2971 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Knees, blood, pee pee, PMR... We're Team Clapped-out!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2972 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've got a pain on the diodes all down my left side. Sorry to hear of all your woes, '...times winged chariot...' and all that. Onwards!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2973 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Ray P wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm Following my 'blood in urine' scare a few weeks back, which, BTW, has not recurred, I'm still having some follow up checks and earlier this week was a visit to a cardiologist - I think the the GP referral was more to do with the level of hard exercise I do coupled with my age rather than related to the scare - she's just just being cautious. Anyway after the check up and acknowledging that I monitor my heart rate during exercise, check my blood pressure daily and have a good awareness of my health, the comment from the cardiologist was along the lines of 'no conerns, dunno why you were sent here - carry on! Of course, whilst that was good to hear there are no guarantees and I could drop dead tomorrow - probably will now I've tempted fate :twisted:
I'm still glad I got the blood in urine checked out though.
Glad things are working out Ray. Have you had the CT scan yet though ?
Have you missed out on experiencing the special camera, like I had ?
One thing that is very useful for establishing heart risk is the cardiac calcium scan, which pics up plaques in the arteries.
I should try & find out how much it costs to get one of those privately. It would be wise given my family history.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2974 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:07 pm Glad things are working out Ray. Have you had the CT scan yet though ?
Have you missed out on experiencing the special camera, like I had ?
One thing that is very useful for establishing heart risk is the cardiac calcium scan, which pics up plaques in the arteries.
I should try & find out how much it costs to get one of those privately. It would be wise given my family history.
Hi Mark. No CT scan or special camera but part of the cardiology referral 'deal' is for an ultrasound ECG in a couple of months - I'm asymptomatic and fit/well but once you get on the radar it seems they are cautious.

Coinicidentally I received a copy of the report from the cardiologist to my GP today - apparently I'm unremarkable.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2975 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Sometimes it is good to be unremarkable.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P

#2976 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:28 pm Sometimes it is good to be unremarkable.
Yep, this is one of them, it's quite pleasing...
Ray P

#2977 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I rode stage 4 of the 'Tour of Watopia' on Zwift this afternoon - it was a hard ride, fast and tough, but I went well and finished 240/630 and did a PR on the big climb.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.04 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (67.85 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Just stage 5 left to do and thats longer and harder!
Ray P

#2978 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

So what's the brake lever on his right hand handlebar for?

Ray P

#2979 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:16 am Knees, blood, pee pee, PMR... We're Team Clapped-out!
Nah! April was a good month.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (16.4 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2980 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I was just planning a bike ride, thinking it was going to be cloudy but dry, when it suddenly started raining hard.
I must check the forecast, it was actually supposed to be sunny with the occasional shower, when i last looked.
I will go for a decent length walk if it's going to be wet.

Edit : Stop Press ! - sun is coming out .
Ray P

#2981 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Some heavy showers here too so I stayed in the garage - did a leisurely ride up the Zwift virtual Alpe du Huez while listening to the Portuguese Grand Prix.
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (30.66 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2982 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:39 am So what's the brake lever on his right hand handlebar for?
That'll give the lad summat to play with and distract him whilst the hospital try to remove the stem from his face due to the accident that occurred due to lack of front brake!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#2983 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 pm That'll give the lad summat to play with and distract him whilst the hospital try to remove the stem from his face due to the accident that occurred due to lack of front brake!
You would think the Royals would be able to afford a decent bike!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2984 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Perhaps there's some secret history on this modification !

I was just about to go out on the bike, then it rained again. So I went out for a walk. It didn't rain at all on the walk ...
I can claim 2hrs 10 mins at 127bpm average. It was dull, nice, but no photos.
I recently read/watched some stuff that was quite interesting. On a climbing twitter ( Dave Macleod ) there was a picture of a mitochondrion (heavily enlarged, it must be said) - from another twitter - Dr. Inigo san Millan ( sorry no accents ) . Turns out this guy is both a well-know international expert on cellular metabolism, and the origins of cancer, but also the chief coaching adviser to the UAE Team Emirates team, and Tade Pogacar's personal coach.
He has identified the exact optimum level of exertion ( in terms of lactate level ) for maximising the generation of new mitochondria in the aerobic muscle cells.
There's a TedEx talk by him on Youtube that is worth watching.
Ray P

#2985 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:45 pm I was just about to go out on the bike, then it rained again. So I went out for a walk. It didn't rain at all on the walk ...
I can claim 2hrs 10 mins at 127bpm average.
Mark, that seems like a high average HR - was it a vertical walk as well as horizontal??

My Zwift ride up Alpe du Huez, albeit I wasn't pushing, was around the same duration and averaged 112bpm.

Resting tired legs today so I've just done a 4.75mile walk before the wind and rain arrive - will put my feet up for the rest of the day.