The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3001 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:03 am

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with a knee problem that doesn't seem to be clearing up. Cycling isn't a problem, though I've wound that down a bit to ease it, but it's sore getting up/down stairs and the like and I'm obviously compensating as I'm getting other aches in my ankle and other knee. I didn't have it before I resumed jogging so not doing that at the mo. Time to discuss with the doc I think.
The Chiropractor I used to see (he's retired now) warned me not to go jogging as (in his professional opinion) I would suffer like you seem to be before long.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3002 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:11 am
Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:52 pm A bit crap TBH Ray,
Sorry to hear that Dave, it must be a bit dispiriting at times but keep going, I enjoy your explorations of the Thames foreshore.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with a knee problem that doesn't seem to be clearing up. Cycling isn't a problem, though I've wound that down a bit to ease it, but it's sore getting up/down stairs and the like and I'm obviously compensating as I'm getting other aches in my ankle and other knee. I didn't have it before I resumed jogging so not doing that at the mo. Time to discuss with the doc I think.
Yeah, its a bit of a kickback to square one. I thought the steroids had nailed it but things had been getting worse over the last ~5 weeks which I chose to ignore and shouldn't have. I need to pay more attention to 'signals' now and got a revised medication taper.

Deffo get help with your knee Ray if its causing pain elsewhere. JTS found that tiny changes in her gait caused knock-on problems that resulted in foot surgery. Take it easy Team! :)
^^^ Thats 'Grand Theft Auto' on bikes innits, computer games for teenagers?! Drug smuggling and gangsters, I didn't think you were down with that stuff :shock: :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3003 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:52 pm A bit crap TBH Ray,
Sorry to hear that Dave, it must be a bit dispiriting at times but keep going, I enjoy your explorations of the Thames foreshore.

Was exactly the same for me - cycling fine, running not so fine - then the left knee completely went...

GET AN MRI. Speak to the doc, explain it's not clearing up, GET A SCAN. It's the only way to find out what's happing when knee stuff doesn't clear up...

And stop running until you know what the situation is. I didn't and that was a BAD move.

At our age, especially after a life of sport, knees can be a real issue. I'm going privately probably as the NHS wait on knee ops is now up to a year - in this area they're only just getting round to folk who should have had ops in December. It was over a month ago that I had my MRI and I've just been told that I can't even see an NHS consultant until the end of July, so I'm paying 200 quid to see the guy that did my other knee 20 years ago (after a skiing accident) next week.

I cannot believe how frustrating it's been to not to be able to do sport at the moment - no running, cycling, tennis, walking more than about 1km. etc. Was going to do my first triathlon this year and have cancelled my marathon entries for later in the year. Basically, I've written off this year wrt sport. Difficult to sleep too as getting & staying comfortable & pain-free is tricky (I don't want to rely on Naproxen etc. even though I've been given a sack load).

A lot of our day-to-day social life centres around sport too, especially club cycling and club & doubles tennis at this time of year, and it's really frustrating missing all that too.

My fitness which was so good in Feb, is disappearing fast. Even swimming is tricky - can't do breast stroke as that's a knee killer, and doing crawl whilst kicking with one leg is a right bugger - swimming like a 5-year-old atm.

However, I'm still a lot better off that loads of folk my age, and at least I have the resources to go privately if needed. However, I do feel guilty doing that...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3004 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Thanks chaps. I plan to get a slot with the Doc this week.

I'm pretty sure it is related to taking up jogging again so I've stopped doing that. The soreness is pretty localised, around the bottom left of my right knee, nothing outside of that location and seemingly not related to the kneecap itself. Fortunately it's fine with cycling so I can mitigate feeling sorry for myself with grazing!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
shane
Social outcast

#3005 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

jack wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:35 am However, I'm still a lot better off that loads of folk my age, and at least I have the resources to go privately if needed. However, I do feel guilty doing that...
Don’t feel guilty. If you can afford to, go private and take a bit of the load off the NHS.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3006 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:03 pm Thanks chaps. I plan to get a slot with the Doc this week.

I'm pretty sure it is related to taking up jogging again so I've stopped doing that. The soreness is pretty localised, around the bottom left of my right knee, nothing outside of that location and seemingly not related to the kneecap itself. Fortunately it's fine with cycling so I can mitigate feeling sorry for myself with grazing!
That's exactly the same area I had wear in - what happened for me is that the cartilage completely broke up and I now have bone on bone there plus lots of floating bits wandering around inside the knee capsule. It's also why cycling is largely ok-ish but running isn't. In cycling, the knee doesn't get straight a lot and impact is low, whilst in running your leg straightens and the bone-on-bone area receives a lot of impact. It also means that trying to sleep with straight legs is not on...

It's a bitch.
Ray P

#3007 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 pm That's exactly the same area I had wear in - what happened for me is that the cartilage completely broke up and I now have bone on bone there plus lots of floating bits wandering around inside the knee capsule. It's also why cycling is largely ok-ish but running isn't. In cycling, the knee doesn't get straight a lot and impact is low, whilst in running your leg straightens and the bone-on-bone area receives a lot of impact. It also means that trying to sleep with straight legs is not on...

It's a bitch.
Yeah, my suspicion is that it's cartilage related. Fortunately, it's not affecting my sleep and it actually improves a little after a night of rest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3008 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:44 pm
jack wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 pm That's exactly the same area I had wear in - what happened for me is that the cartilage completely broke up and I now have bone on bone there plus lots of floating bits wandering around inside the knee capsule. It's also why cycling is largely ok-ish but running isn't. In cycling, the knee doesn't get straight a lot and impact is low, whilst in running your leg straightens and the bone-on-bone area receives a lot of impact. It also means that trying to sleep with straight legs is not on...

It's a bitch.
Yeah, my suspicion is that it's cartilage related. Fortunately, it's not affecting my sleep and it actually improves a little after a night of rest.
Is your knee swollen?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3009 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:19 am

^^^ Thats 'Grand Theft Auto' on bikes innits, computer games for teenagers?! Drug smuggling and gangsters, I didn't think you were down with that stuff :shock: :)
Hang on, is that the lad from the old Hovis Ad, chasing Ray ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#3010 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:03 pm Is your knee swollen?
No
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3011 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:31 pm
Dave the bass wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:19 am

Hang on, is that the lad from the old Hovis Ad, chasing Ray ?
Ho's and Hovis?..., its a bizarre computer game our Ray is playing .
Ray P

#3012 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Apart from a short walk I've stayed off exercise since Saturday with an enforced extension today after my second jab - my knee is feeling much easier - mobility much improved and discomfort much reduced. I think I may give it another day or two before I try my juvenile 'puter gaming again.

Just having to be careful to manage my calorie intake to compensate.

Apart from the knee I'm still feeling pretty crappy, no energy, general aching and a muggy head.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3013 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I was just watching today's John Campbell vlog about the minor risks of myocarditis/pericarditis from the Pfizer vaccine. To be fair it was seen as a risk for younger men :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#3014 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

More Grand Theft Velo this evening.

The picture is 'me' completing a circuit, nominally with a sprint - I put in a dig but don't really sprint full-on. There are also quite a few riders waiting to start the circuit. Can you tell its a virtual Japan? The light blue things floating over some riders are 'thumb-ups' that you can use to acknowledge other riders.

Anyway, it was my first ride since Saturday and the good news is that after resting up in the interim I am not having any pain or discomfort in my knee - fingers-crossed that whatever was wrong has cleared up.

I think I may well pass on jogging from now on and just ride or walk.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3015 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ha! Just as I thought.. competitive 'Yay' courier races!