The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3151 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

shane wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:57 pm This has appeared at the bottom of my road. Should I dig out my excited trousers?
Are you excited about the prospect of having new neighbours Shane?
Last edited by Ray P on Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#3152 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:08 pm At the finish in Llandudno, they are going up the hideous 1 in 4 road by the Cog railway on the Orme.
I can't see Cav winning that one!

Some of us at work may cycle down to watch some of the South Devon stage but I'm also tempted to sign-up for the 50K ride on the Silverstone track around the same dates.
shane
Social outcast

#3153 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

Ray P wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:25 pm Are you excited about the prospect of having new neighbours Shane?
I have to admit I was being a bit disingenuous there. I’m not a great cycling fan, and my heart sank a little when I saw the sign.

The road in the photo is on the route from Yealmpton to Totnes, a distance of about 15 miles, and one of the finest driving roads I know. Wide for the most part with sweeping bends and undulations and little traffic most of the time, it’s been a joy to drive for me every couple of weeks for the last fifty years. For the last nine months I’ve been living about half way along it at Avonwick, so joy of joys I get to drive it nearly every day.

From 1970 until about ten years ago, I could probably count the number of bicycles I saw on it on the fingers of one hand. Now, however, it’s been discovered and every bend conceals pairs of shrink-wrapped buttocks and pumping thighs with sinews of steel, straining to reach 40mph and mostly oblivious to the rest of the world. Inevitably they’re travelling just that bit too fast to be able to pass safely on the short straight, so what used to be a delight has become an exercise in frustration. Now, the delights of this route are about to be advertised to the entire country and every rouleur this side of Bristol is going to be coming down to give it a try.

I’ll just have to catch the bus instead.

Bah! Humbug!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P

#3154 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

shane wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:42 pm Bah! Humbug!
Sorry Shane! I know the road, indeed the area, quite well. I don't know what it's like now but we used to get well fed and watered at the Avon Inn when we stayed near Ashburton. Must get back down your way again, it's been more than 2yrs now, but I promise to leave my bike at home!
shane
Social outcast

#3155 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

Happy to make an exception for you, Ray.

I just took the dog for her evening stroll and I can report that the Avon is thriving, as it has been since the end of lockdown.

I just looked at the route of the Devon stage of the ToB, and it puts it in perspective when it’s all on roads you know well. I’d be pretty knackered if I completed it in a day in my car. There’s some pretty challenging geography there, especially the Dartmouth to Tavistock section. As I say, I’m not a great fan, but I take my hat off to anyone who even considers doing that on a bike.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3156 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:44 pm ....but I take my hat off to anyone who even considers doing that on a bike.
Chapeau!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

#3157 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

D’accord!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3158 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

The Poet Laureate has Gone to His Shed interviews Sabrina Verjee (they talk a lot about sheds!)

Fascinating insight to her approach and just her as a person - best interview with her I've heard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000yzt4
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3159 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I must make time to listen to this before I forget.
I saw a short Youtube interview with her after the record, where she was asked about what she did to manage foot problems on a long run like this, and she had to admit that she really didn't have any - not a single blister.

Just been out for a typical 30 mile circuit, it has a couple of steep hills at the far point, but it otherwise just rolling. Didn't quite get going, I was hoping I'd loosen up a bit after 5 miles of so but it didn't happen. There was also a headwind all the way round, i've had it before on this route, I don't really know how that works. Still, good to get out.

I've been looking at ways of building up my old Woodrup frame ( with a respray and some minor mods ) for a winter bike. I want a hub gear, but am having trouble convincing myself that the Shimano Alfine is good enough.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#3160 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:28 pm I've been looking at ways of building up my old Woodrup frame ( with a respray and some minor mods ) for a winter bike. I want a hub gear, but am having trouble convincing myself that the Shimano Alfine is good enough.
Have you checked the fork spacing Mark?

Just been along the river for a stroll, was hoping to catch sight of some otters that have been seen down there recently but no luck.

Back on the bike tomorrow evening after work, I need 300metres of elevation and 21Km of distance to make August a 1,000Km and 10,000m month.
Last edited by Ray P on Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3161 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I think you mean the rear dropouts :)
Yes, i was wondering if I could get those adjusted if i get the frame modded a little bit and re-sprayed ( which it will need ).
On the other hand, later, i looked at the Sturmey 8-speed ( ..which was news to me.. ) . This one, the one without the brake anyway, can be adjusted down to 126mm or less, so that's handy.
It looks well made and fewer online complaints than I've seen for the Alfine.
Only bother is that bottom gear is the direct-drive, all others are geared-up. Hence efficiency is a little less in normal gears, and you need something like 32 x 25 gearing to get a good range. That's do-able though, and you can get 1/8" cogs to reduce the wear.
Ray P

#3162 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Tour of Britain get's underway tomorrow - I was planning to ride down to catch some of the South Devon stage but it looks like I'll have to work 😒
Last edited by Ray P on Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3163 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Flippin 'eck. Have you considered retiring.... today ?
I must check the schedule. I was guessing it started today but I haven't looked in detail.
I was going to look at the Llandudno stage, but now have the chance to go up to the Lakes from Tuesday till Sunday, so will try & catch it near Ullswater or something.
Ray P

#3164 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:18 pm Flippin 'eck. Have you considered retiring.... today ?
I've considered it on many occasions other than today. I even went so far as to try it for a while after I managed to land an early-severance package but it didn't suit me so I found another job!

Anyway, ToB starts tomorrow with a stage in Cornwall, Truro to Bodmin IIRC.
shane
Social outcast

#3165 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

Driving home today, my way was blocked at the junction where I turn off the main Totnes-South Brent road at Avonwick onto the Yealmpton road, which will be the route of the ToB on Monday. My place is about 200m past the turning but a large policeman on a motorcycle, stationary in the middle of the road with blue lights flashing, made it quite clear that I wasn’t going hone that way. I carried on past the turning and nipped back through the lanes, coming out about 50m behind him and met another one blocking this junction but looking a bit friendlier. He told me they’d only delay me for a few minutes as they were reccying the route of the ToB, so I stopped and waited to see what would happen next. Over the next five minutes at least 30 more (I stopped counting after this) came slowly down the road in drains and drabs, all blue-lighting, checking out every turning and driveway. They were then followed by a convoy of three jam sandwiches, a slightly embarrassed-looking course official in a red Skoda, then two unmarked patrol cars. Again, all except the Skoda were blue-lighting. All in all, about 40 officers involved, presumably doing the whole 120-odd mile route.
After them came a great steam of traffic that had built up behind, as they must have come all the way from Plymouth averaging about 15mph.
Nice day out for the lads and a rather spectacular event in a quiet Devon village! They seem to have come from all over the country. The one I spoke to was from a force in Wales.