The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2986 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

No, that was a low pulse for me. I deliberately aimed to go slow on the ascents to keep pulse below 140, to stay in the right 'zone' for the whole walk. Remember, my maximum is still over 180bpm. For me, 130 is 'conversational' pace. I did go fairly brisk on the downhills though, to keep the pulse around 120.
Last edited by IslandPink on Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2987 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I guess we're all different Mark, conversational pace for me would be under 100bpm - if I remember I'll put my HR monitor on next time I have a brisk walk.

Based on the rule of thumb for your maximum HR of 230-age my max is 167 but I rarely get close to it even when I really go for it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2988 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

The rule of thumb was 220 minus age if I remember correctly - but it's pretty useless as it varies a lot. Calculating anything from that in the low to middling training zones could put you in the wrong sort of effort. Even in the pros it varies a lot - I think Armstrong was over 190 on hard efforts, but Froome's max is only about 172.
I watched a further very long and very interesting interview with Inigo san Millán last night.

This has everything you need, amazing information.
Somewhere along the line he gives the details, the so-called 'level 2' is 1.5 to 2.0mmol/L .
He points out how much this 'conversational' training level varies between riders, in terms of power.
At the bottom end with totally unfit people verging on type2 diabetes, you might be making 1W/kg. A top pro rider is making 4W/kg and would be travelling at 25mph on the flat.

I'm very tempted to buy a lactate meter at this point, even though they are expensive. It would be good to know properly where this 2.0mmol level is, rather than guessing. The test strips are about £4 each, but one advantage of the meters is that you can get strips to test cholesterol and other things, so they are versatile.
Ray P

#2989 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Mark, I'll have a look at that video.

I am 3W/Kg at my FTP of 231. I'm thinking it's about time I did another FTP test on Zwift - with the power and cadence meter accuracy of my trainer the stats I get are pretty accurate, I think the spec says within 1% - the problem with these tests though is that they're not really enjoyable as they put you through a pretty brutal workout, max effort you can sustain for 20mins!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2990 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 pm max effort you can sustain for 20mins!
Or,when making love, 20 seconds. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P

#2991 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:22 pm Or,when making love, 20 seconds. :lol:
Wouldn't cut it Phil, you have to be on it for 20mins or it doesn't count; finishing prematurely gets you nil points!

Maybe try pharmaceutical performance enhancement?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2992 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Well I must say, that was a bit unexpected !

Meanwhile ... Giro d'Italia from tomorrow. Looks like it'll be on S4C and Quest. Happy Days !
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2993 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 pm
pre65 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:22 pm Or,when making love, 20 seconds. :lol:
Wouldn't cut it Phil, you have to be on it for 20mins or it doesn't count; finishing prematurely gets you nil points!

Maybe try pharmaceutical performance enhancement?
20 seconds is with the performance enhancements. :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2994 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Got out for a decent ride today, past Ruthin, found a lovely stretch of new tarmac on a road ( to Graigfechan) that was previously broken up quite badly. The sun came out for a while too. First ride I've really enjoyed this year. Only about 25 miles and 1hr 40, that's a good ride for me currently.

Ordered the blood lactate meter too ...
Ray P

#2995 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've been thinking about whether I do enough load-bearing exercise as I have a sedentary job and have just been doing a longish walk (3-5miles) once or twice a week so I thought it would be good to add a couple or three jogs a week into my routine. Anyway, I was sick as a dog yesterday and still feeling a bit under the weather today so I thought it would be good time to try a gentle jog - my first for at least a decade - I surprised myself and managed more than 5K without stopping (34mins for 5K- not bad). I could have gone longer/faster but the upper leg muscles were complaining a bit - no problem with cardiovascular fitness though.
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (26.2 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
In other news...

On Friday evening after a bad day at work I thought I would take it out on the Zwift virtual Alpe du Huez. I took 2minutes off my best time and edged a little closer towards topping out in less than 1hr - Time for just the climb this time was 64:57. I know I can do it faster but it's all about measuring your effort and I'm learning where i need to put the efforts in and where I can recover a little.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.04 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2996 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

No cycling but more gentle walking, not been well again, meh.

This is a picture of the masts of the Montgomery bomb ship taken on my phone looking through one of the lenses on our new super duper Olympus Binocococococlars...

Cool innits.

We also found the remains of the Thames Boom on the Kent side, there's a lot more of the (newer) Cold War boom intact over at Shoeburyness, but thats in Essexith so out of bounds for us :) , cor! http://www.wildfire3.com/boom.html

"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#2997 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Interesting stuff Mr. B.

How's your mobility?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2998 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:31 pm How's your mobility?
A bit crap TBH Ray, I've learned about flare ups and adrenal insufficiency this week. I ignored some warning signs and PMR bit me on the bum big time this week. Live n learn.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#2999 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:52 pm A bit crap TBH Ray,
Sorry to hear that Dave, it must be a bit dispiriting at times but keep going, I enjoy your explorations of the Thames foreshore.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with a knee problem that doesn't seem to be clearing up. Cycling isn't a problem, though I've wound that down a bit to ease it, but it's sore getting up/down stairs and the like and I'm obviously compensating as I'm getting other aches in my ankle and other knee. I didn't have it before I resumed jogging so not doing that at the mo. Time to discuss with the doc I think.
Ray P

#3000 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

As for cycling, with the crap weather and limited time (because we've a lot of work on) I'm still doing most of my miles on the static trainer with Zwift - fortunately, Zwift has just introduced a new virtual world based on Japan (linked to the Olympics I guess) so eight new routes to explore - ticked off four of them yesterday and Friday.

The routes include some nice 'off-road' sections (that's my virtual 'me' in the blue 'GBR' kit);