My battle with Windows 10 updates

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 My battle with Windows 10 updates

Post by Mike H »

I'd got a new notebook with Windows 10 on it early October, had been using it for about a month, going great, got it looking and working like Vista, even to the extent of having the Vista sidebar gadgets, downloadable from the MS web site.

Then I left it on overnight so a virus scan could finish, after which in my absence Windows 10 had completely replaced itself with a new version. (Windows 10 updates are automatic by default and implemented during a period of inactivity.)

In this new version many things were broken and programs not able to run.

Now I admit I still have several very old programs (like 20 years old) that I still like but which still do exactly what I want, and can't be upgraded anyway (although I did do so for one, PaintShop Pro) and a couple of these I need for work, so must work.

Fortunately the option was available to undo the new installation and revert to previous version. PHEW!! Image

Having finally got everything back and functioning as it was, I then did a bit of research and this is what I have to do now:

From: http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to- ... g-updates/

1. Stop Windows Update From Automatically Rebooting Your Computer
Settings > Update & Security
Windows update > Advanced options
"Choose how updates are installed" = "Notify to schedule restart"
"Give me updates for other Microsoft products..." = unchecked tick box

2. Prevent Automatic Downloading of Updates on a Specific Connection
Settings > Network and Internet
Wi-Fi > Advanced options
"Set as metered connection" = "On"

From: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off- ... windows-10
Original instruction is: "Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools"

...But too obscure, actually:
Settings, in search box type: "control panel"
In Control Panel address bar:
"Control Panel > All Control Panel Items"

Click "Administrative Tools"

Double-click: 'Services'

Find 'Windows Update'

Right-click for properties.

In the properties panel (shown here for info only):
Description = "Enables the detection, download and installation of updates for Windows and other programs.
If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use Windows Update
or its automatic updating feature, and programs will not be able to use the Windows Update
Agent (WUA) API."

Path to executable:
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

You change -
"Startup Type": Currently set to "Manual" (else 'disabled').

Click 'OK'.

Is currently 'manual' because 'disabled' stopped me installing an app, albeit manually.

Also:
From: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unw ... windows-10
How to download the Show or Hide Updates Tool

^ In the last few days a Micosoft security patch for Flash Player has been causing a lot of trouble to the Internet community and according to Google searches Adobe are apparently working on a fix. I have some screensavers that won't work after the update because it 'breaks' Flash Player. OK screensavers aren't vital, but it's just stupidly bluddy annoying.

However I have now been able to block it using the above show or hide wizard tool, this is after about 4 separate automatic in-the-background installs of the patch each of which had to be undone again afterwards to fix Flash Player.

The first time I used system restore but then I discovered there is a means to uninstall an update in:
Settings > Update & Security
Windows Update > Advanced options > View your update history (first link at the top, 'uninstall...')

However I am not now sure whether that was always there, or only after downloading the show and hide wizard module.

The show and hide module is accessed by a desktop shortcut, just double-click. It opens in diagnostic troubleshooting wizard (.diagcab file).

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."