Question for Slimserver users

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#1 Question for Slimserver users

Post by shane »

I am currently running SlimServer version 6.5.4 and everything is working beautifully, but there is a message at the top of the Slimserver home page urging me to update to the latest version. Is there anything to be gained from doing so, or is it a case of "If it ain't f***ed, don't fix it"?

I run Slimserver on a little dedicated Compaq PC, but have a backup on my laptop for the odd occasion when the Compaq goes down (eg after a powercut). The Compaq was set up using Linux by my daughter's boyfriend, so if it goes wrong I have to wait for him to come home from university to fix it since, as far as I'm concerned, it might as well be written in Martian. Could I update the laptop to see what the new version does and leave the Compaq as it is, or would that confuse the Squeezebox when I switch from one to the other?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I upgraded to 7 on the Buffalo nas, it was a bit of a hassle, but thats more to do with the fact I am running on a arm processor than anything else. I haven't found any extra features in 7 that I must have, it looks very different via the web interface, but as far as the SB is concerned I am not sure there is any difference.

I doubt there will be any problems mixing the two. But I can't say for certain.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

There where some threads on the Slimdevices forum about the changes, I read the bottom line as if your happy with 6.5.4 then stay with it. There where also reports of v7 running slow on lower powerd PC's so many have not migrated. I'm still running 6.5.4
Les Reed
User

Post by Les Reed »

Version 7. lets you build a playlist from your favourites by clicking a + next to the track - I could never do this in 6.5. Also it seems to be very stable running under Vista on my laptop - no crashes so far :hiding:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

There where also reports of v7 running slow on lower powerd PC's
Yes, the Buffalo certainly is having to work hard to keep up now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Hmm. Think I'll leave well alone. Thanks chaps.
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

I've just reinstalled 6.5.4 after using squeezecenter for a couple of weeks. It is slower than 6.5.4 by a fair margin and completely slowed down my laptop, and the sound quality isn't as good as 6.5.4 on my setup.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Mo,

When you say the sound quality isn't as good what do you mean exactly? Do you mean that the SqueezeCentre updated the firmware in your SqueezeBox and that made it sound worse?

I did a trial of the SC software a few weeks ago and it "upgraded" my SB3 and I thought then that the sound was _much_ worse but I just couldn't put my finger on what was different. It's very interesting that you seem to be confirming my suspicions. I immediately went back to 6.5.4. I do though also have that bit of software that allows you to load whatever firmware version you like into the SB3 so I guess I could go with SC7 plus keep the existing version of firmware.

btw. Sorry I didn't bring my DAC to Owfest.

Cheers,
Tony
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Tony Moore wrote:Hi Mo,

When you say the sound quality isn't as good what do you mean exactly? Do you mean that the SqueezeCentre updated the firmware in your SqueezeBox and that made it sound worse?

Tony
Hi Tony,

When I installed Squeezecenter it did update the firmware and the sound degraded. The sound became bassy and at other times very thin, it just didn't stabalise.

Now with 6.5.4 everything is back to normal and stable, although there are' minor quirks in the slimserver browser, it doesn't effect the sound quality.

When i reinstalled slimserver 6.5.4, it did a firmware update again. Did the Squeezecenter firmware get overwritten? At the moment it's showing as firmware 81 on 6.5.4, what is your firmware on 6.5.4?

Can you get that software to change firmware from slimdevices website?

PS No doubt we'll get another chance to listen to your DAC :)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If you hold down the display brightness (I think it is) on the remote, it will force a firmware upgrade, so its just a case if replacing the firmware on your laptop in the slimserver dir with the one you want to use.
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Thanks for that tip Nick. If your using 6.5.4 can you let me know what firmware version it please.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would check on the SB forums, there was a lot of talk in the past about differeing versions sounding better or worst.
Brian
User

Post by Brian »

I also did the update to v7 and changed back.

Brian
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

I went back to 6.5.5 for OSX 10.5, after the new server software slowed everything down and made the SB sound thin and bass heavy at the same time. Some sort of midrange suckout seemed to be present.
It seems as though the boom and tizz brigade had been allowed to get at the firmware.

When I reinstalled 6.5.4 it changed the firmware again. I'm on version 81 too. The sound is back to its old self so I presume the update put back the old firmware.
I assume this because I would have thought that the programmers would have included the correct firmware version with a particular server software package. This seems sensible but I could be wrong of course.

Steve
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

This is what I use:

http://mike.galusha.googlepages.com/squ ... reselector

It allows you to easily select between different firmware versions to load into the SB. Of course you also need to have the firmware files too. I am also on 81 at the moment.

Cheers,
Tony