Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13561 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:24 pm
pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:44 pm Wasn't that a song by the Steeleye Span ? :lol:
Nah, it wasn't by Steeleye Span, they just covered it.
What with? A tarpaulin?

Love the Christmas decorations, Nick's the done place up really nice this year 👍😁
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#13562 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I've just discovered that if you run the cursor over the lights, making a smashing noise, if you refresh the page and cause all the lights to come back.....they don't subsequently make a noise.

YMMV
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13563 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:01 pm I've just discovered that if you run the cursor over the lights, making a smashing noise, if you refresh the page and cause all the lights to come back.....they don't subsequently make a noise.

YMMV
Left click on mouse = sound restored. Does for me. :)

PS I need a virtual skip for all the broken glass. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13564 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I've just lost interest in Formula 1 as a sport - it seems to be getting akin to WWE.

If I were Mercedes I would be seriously reconsidering future paricipation in F1.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13565 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#13566 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:30 pm I've just lost interest in Formula 1 as a sport - it seems to be getting akin to WWE.

If I were Mercedes I would be seriously reconsidering future paricipation in F1.
I lost interest so many years ago I couldnt date it. Possibly 2003. What took you so long?

Future is no future, and if you think im excited about E racing? no.

The future belongs to superglue protesters. Its over.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

#13567 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I have a theory that people gravitate to the negative as they get older. There may be a formula that somebody is sitting on.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#13568 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Paul Barker »

You’re bang on there. My former employer lost the contract I did in Hull for three years. it was a blessing in disguise. the contract was to keep the heating working single handed in some 2,000 retired peoples’ bungallows and grouped flats all in enclaves of their own all over Hull. The charity is called Pickering (after the fishing fleet owner who donated his wealth to Hull such as Pickering Park!) and Ferens (think he was pharmaceutical guru also a giving man, presumably Ferensway named after him).

The only thing about the contract I couldn’t have taken much more of was the constant droning on of the victim complex, it’s all other peoples faults, but you’re looking at this given up on life fat whale occupying TV flop in and don’t move until you’re Eurine bag or nappy needs emptying. from the minute you arrive until you close the door behind you, there’s a long list of ailments all, easily explained by the way they’ve lived, but no sense of that in their rhetoric. it’s all the fault of everyone but the first person pronoun!

It’s a breath of fresh air to be out of that. I’m 64 but I take responsibility for the condition of my body and do everything I can to stay well. I’m more likely to fill a visitors head with positive ways of going forward and taking responsibility for health in first person pronoun terms! “Nobody’s fault but mine” Nina Simone.

There is a converse. My dad a General Practitioner, family Doctor. Said when he was almost dead, unbeknown to me at the time, but he died before I next saw him. I saw him after he died but would never do that again! Some cultures believe in that, big in West Indies, open casket. He said “when I was a young Dr, old people used to say to me “there is a lot of pain with getting old Dr”, I never understood, Dad said then. but I know now! It’s a fact of life, get over it, cope with it best you can, but no need to drone on to the man who comes to fix you’re heating about it every minute he’s in you’re house!

There were a handful of old ladies (no men) who were skinny and had 3 or 4 letters from the queen I think Alice, the loveliest was the oldest 108. Non of them droned on about their ailments aches and pains, neither did they blame anyone else. They filled you’re life wis a big broad smile and had light in their eyes. They weren’t big fat whales slumped in a soft lay back chair. You felt honoured to be in their presense. I wander how it was they lived years after reaching a hundred? It’s as plain as day! They didn’t fill their time making everyone around them responsible for what they should have seen to in their time, which is now very short, compared to Alice and others.

Now it’s my turn to take responsibility for the condition of my body and mind, go forward not back, don’t look back except to find better alternatives than you’ve not known or ignored before, future ways and behaviours are you’re reward for learning experiences of long life. And not fill young peoples lives with knowledge of all you’re ailments. They’ll find out in turn when they need to know. Just be a good example to them.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#13569 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

If you haven't seen it I can recommend this as an alternative slice of motor sport watching

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#13570 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Norman Mailer pointed out as you get older you like less and less because it makes leaving it all behind easier.
steve s
Shed dweller

#13571 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Paul Barker wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:45 am You’re bang on there. My former employer lost the contract I did in Hull for three years. it was a blessing in disguise. the contract was to keep the heating working single handed in some 2,000 retired peoples’ bungallows and grouped flats all in enclaves of their own all over Hull. The charity is called Pickering (after the fishing fleet owner who donated his wealth to Hull such as Pickering Park!) and Ferens (think he was pharmaceutical guru also a giving man, presumably Ferensway named after him).

The only thing about the contract I couldn’t have taken much more of was the constant droning on of the victim complex, it’s all other peoples faults, but you’re looking at this given up on life fat whale occupying TV flop in and don’t move until you’re Eurine bag or nappy needs emptying. from the minute you arrive until you close the door behind you, there’s a long list of ailments all, easily explained by the way they’ve lived, but no sense of that in their rhetoric. it’s all the fault of everyone but the first person pronoun!

It’s a breath of fresh air to be out of that. I’m 64 but I take responsibility for the condition of my body and do everything I can to stay well. I’m more likely to fill a visitors head with positive ways of going forward and taking responsibility for health in first person pronoun terms! “Nobody’s fault but mine” Nina Simone.

There is a converse. My dad a General Practitioner, family Doctor. Said when he was almost dead, unbeknown to me at the time, but he died before I next saw him. I saw him after he died but would never do that again! Some cultures believe in that, big in West Indies, open casket. He said “when I was a young Dr, old people used to say to me “there is a lot of pain with getting old Dr”, I never understood, Dad said then. but I know now! It’s a fact of life, get over it, cope with it best you can, but no need to drone on to the man who comes to fix you’re heating about it every minute he’s in you’re house!

There were a handful of old ladies (no men) who were skinny and had 3 or 4 letters from the queen I think Alice, the loveliest was the oldest 108. Non of them droned on about their ailments aches and pains, neither did they blame anyone else. They filled you’re life wis a big broad smile and had light in their eyes. They weren’t big fat whales slumped in a soft lay back chair. You felt honoured to be in their presense. I wander how it was they lived years after reaching a hundred? It’s as plain as day! They didn’t fill their time making everyone around them responsible for what they should have seen to in their time, which is now very short, compared to Alice and others.

Now it’s my turn to take responsibility for the condition of my body and mind, go forward not back, don’t look back except to find better alternatives than you’ve not known or ignored before, future ways and behaviours are you’re reward for learning experiences of long life. And not fill young peoples lives with knowledge of all you’re ailments. They’ll find out in turn when they need to know. Just be a good example to them.
Thats brilliant Paul..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13572 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:45 am You’re bang on there. My former employer lost the contract I did in Hull for three years. it was a blessing in disguise. the contract was to keep the heating working single handed in some 2,000 retired peoples’ bungallows and grouped flats all in enclaves of their own all over Hull. The charity is called Pickering (after the fishing fleet owner who donated his wealth to Hull such as Pickering Park!) and Ferens (think he was pharmaceutical guru also a giving man, presumably Ferensway named after him).

Spot on Paul.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13573 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Victor Meldrew syndrome ? :lol:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#13574 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I must say though to Paul's post, that those people who don't live up to your expectations are living breathing feeling people just like everyone else.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13575 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:22 am I must say though to Paul's post, that those people who don't live up to your expectations are living breathing feeling people just like everyone else.
One book I read suggested that surrounding oneself with like minded people was a good and positive thing.

Being in daily contact (even by skype or telephone) with negative moany people can be very wearing. Yes, they are living breathing and feeling people but to a great extent we choose how we become.

Edmund Burke