Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13546 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:37 pm
Just for comparison, in the UAE all tyres have a date moulded into them.
I was under the impression that ALL tyres have a date code moulded into the sidewall when manufactured.

Perhaps not noticeable if one does not know how to read the code.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

EDIT. It seems tyres up to 5 years old (but unfitted) can be considered as new. Something I did not know. The UK adopts the German TUV standard on that point.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13547 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

There are date stamped, and all tyres after a time have to be changed (8 years?) issue for trailers and low usage vehicles. Interesting the winter tyres I use are classed as secondhand and come from Austria - where it is mandatory to fit snow tyres and they can only be used for a single season, so when they are removed they get sent to other EU countries with less stringent rules. They were 30 quid a corner and have served me well for 3 seasons the tyre place does a more detailed check when fitting them, to check for damage which they don’t do for new tyres. I had Nokian A3’s before which cost me a fortune, but we needed then to be allowed to drive to the ski resorts, as some of the higher ones won’t allow you up the road, gendarmerie inspecting your tyres at the bottom.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13548 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

It’s only 6 years- so Kiki fit can sell you a 5 year old tyre, and you can only legally drive it for 1 year.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13549 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

vinylnvalves wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:14 pm There are date stamped, and all tyres after a time have to be changed (8 years?) issue for trailers and low usage vehicles. Interesting the winter tyres I use are classed as secondhand and come from Austria - where it is mandatory to fit snow tyres and they can only be used for a single season, so when they are removed they get sent to other EU countries with less stringent rules. They were 30 quid a corner and have served me well for 3 seasons the tyre place does a more detailed check when fitting them, to check for damage which they don’t do for new tyres. I had Nokian A3’s before which cost me a fortune, but we needed then to be allowed to drive to the ski resorts, as some of the higher ones won’t allow you up the road, gendarmerie inspecting your tyres at the bottom.
Used to use snow chains... then moved to getting the train to Lyon and local busses, then the ski train and using the chalet transfer busses. After we switched from the alps to Sweden, flying to Östersund and doing the transfer bus there.

Apologies for going off-piste here (SWIDT), but with it being dark & p*ssing freezing rain outside, I'm drawn back to memories of sunnier & warmer climes...

One of the very best mountain roads in the world (IMHO), the route from Birkat al Mouz in Oman up onto the Sayq Plateau at 2,000 mtrs, has a police station at the bottom to check your tyres and brakes and to make sure that you are in a 4x4 - not because you need it going up, but so that you can brake properly and not crash on the way down. Been up and down this maybe 6 times. Each time a joy.

Normally using BFG A/T K02s. Great tyre - now have the same on my Landrover here...

47km of driving heaven. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Birkat+ ... !3e0?hl=en - the Civil Police are a few Km in - the first bit is easy. Then it gets V. twisty.

Another fine route from East to West across the Western Hajar is https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rustaq, ... !5i1?hl=en - all off-road/unpaved - nearly 100Km. Never ever to be done in the wet or even after recent rain... Google suggests 2hrs 45mins. In reality, 8-10 hours if the weather is kind.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#13550 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Thermionic Idler »

RCD on the power outlet circuit began tripping out yesterday at about midday. We'd reset it, about 5 or 10 minutes would go by and then everything would go down again. It had gone out once before about a month or two back but with no repeat. With it being intermittent like that (rather than immediate) that made trying to track down the rogue appliance yesterday afternoon such fun.

Anyway, I think we managed to isolate it to something that shares a long power strip with my desktop computer, as on one occasion it tripped immediately on plugging that strip in. Currently I only have the essentials from that strip plugged in, and everything seems to be stable. My hunch is that it's the Wharfedale Active Diamond III's that I use for computer speakers - they have to be well over 30 years old by now, possibly a fault with the power transformer? I checked the plug and they are earthed, so there could well be a current-to-earth scenario occurring there.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13551 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:39 am RCD on the power outlet circuit began tripping out yesterday at about midday. We'd reset it, about 5 or 10 minutes would go by and then everything would go down again. It had gone out once before about a month or two back but with no repeat. With it being intermittent like that (rather than immediate) that made trying to track down the rogue appliance yesterday afternoon such fun.

Anyway, I think we managed to isolate it to something that shares a long power strip with my desktop computer, as on one occasion it tripped immediately on plugging that strip in. Currently I only have the essentials from that strip plugged in, and everything seems to be stable. My hunch is that it's the Wharfedale Active Diamond III's that I use for computer speakers - they have to be well over 30 years old by now, possibly a fault with the power transformer? I checked the plug and they are earthed, so there could well be a current-to-earth scenario occurring there.
Have it PAT tested. If you've a small independent electrical retailer nearby they will sometimes be able to do that. If the power cable is removable, it might be worth swapping that first (if PAT testing, the cable must also be checked).

Things that fail include the transformer (possible. especially if there's humidity about or it gets hot [check that with a thermometer/hand]), surge suppressor devices which can break down over time, Y2 capacitors etc. Testing needs to be carries out at full mains voltage for a class 1 device. Insulation testing is typically done at around 500VDC (ISTR).

So, if using a surge suppressor power strip or there are surge suppressors in the device, they can be suspect. Any Y2 caps (which typically go from L & N to PG) can also be suspect.

Your comments about the increasing frequency of the fault condition triggering the RCD also suggests slow degradation of the faulty component(s).

Another point is that RCDs themselves & your general electrical infrastructure can get wonky (technical term, that) over time and it may be worth getting an EICR test done for your abode, especially if nothing has been done for a while - testing RCDs is COMPLEX and requires special equipment - the little test button on them is next to useless/dangerous and tells you almost nothing except that the RCD will eventually trip - the current/time curve for RCDs is very specific and can only be properly checked by some with a) the right kit and b) who knows how to use it!

(*) caveat. I am not a certified electrical engineer - we rent properties and have to have EICRs done from time to time. When done properly by a diligent electrician EICRs can be really informative. I have had brand new good manufacturer RCDs (bought from TLC & CEF) fail out-of-the-box, i.e. when a brand new installation is tested - the little button test makes it "pop" but a proper test with the right kit shows a complete failure of the current/time tests, i.e. it's dangerous to humans & animals.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13552 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nippers nose, snow and flashing lights. Wahey. :)

I picked up a 3 day cold from Jean, like no cold I've had before.

And, my oil central heating boiler has a vibration, might be a bearing going west. My boiler engineer hopes to be round soon to have a listen.

Pretty poor really, the boiler is only 30 years old. :lol:

PS try putting the mouse pointer on the fairy lights with the sound on. :)

Edmund Burke

Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#13553 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Thermionic Idler »

jack wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 am So, if using a surge suppressor power strip or there are surge suppressors in the device, they can be suspect. Any Y2 caps (which typically go from L & N to PG) can also be suspect.
Thanks Jack. I wonder if it was the power strip itself then. It's a Kemp Elektroniks 8-way power strip that I've had for about 15 years or so, that I don't bother using on the hi-fi because when I tried it recently it actually made the sound worse. I'd grabbed it because it was the only spare power strip I had that was equipped with 8 sockets. I do know it has surge protection amongst the other sorts of stuff that posh power strips have, so something might have gone for a burton there. Right now it's out of circuit, I have the essentials plugged into a B&Q 4-way one, so far no problems.
jack wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 am Another point is that RCDs themselves & your general electrical infrastructure can get wonky (technical term, that) over time and it may be worth getting an EICR test done for your abode, especially if nothing has been done for a while.
We rent the property from my parents (who themselves rent a property in Wales), so an EICR test was done earlier in the year.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13554 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 pm
I just did, by accident - nearly jumped out of my skin !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13555 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:48 pm ... I wonder if it was the power strip itself then....
Oddly, years ago I had a similar issue which turned out to be organic in nature...

I had RCD trips happening in my office (in an outbuilding). Turned out eventually that it was because the power strip was on the floor behind the PC and a huge slug had crept into it and exploded, then rotted...

Certainly caused the RCD to trip...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13556 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 pm Nippers nose, snow and flashing lights. Wahey. :)
I picked up a 3 day cold from Jean, like no cold I've had before.
:(
And, my oil central heating boiler has a vibration, might be a bearing going west. My boiler engineer hopes to be round soon to have a listen.
:(
Oh yes, that I like! :lol:

Went shopping for few bits aroound 11 am, the Maud Foster Drain outside (what our road runs alongside of) is lookiing quite high! :shock: Must be something to do with the rain.
And is very muddy.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#13557 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

smashing festive display.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13558 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It's at times like now I have to think about how to spell 'gaudy'. Is that right?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13559 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:37 pm It's at times like now I have to think about how to spell 'gaudy'. Is that right?
Wasn't that a song by the Steeleye Span ? :lol:

Edmund Burke

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13560 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:44 pm Wasn't that a song by the Steeleye Span ? :lol:
Nah, it wasn't by Steeleye Span, they just covered it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!