Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#12541 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

mainscablesrus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:11 am
steve s wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm Dave should rent one of those meters out, I'd happily pay £15 or so for weeks use
Try buying it your tight arsed t....t

LOL
At least I offered money Dave
I could of suggested you let us all 'evaluate' it in the true tight arsed Yorkshire tradition ...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#12542 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by mainscablesrus »

You could always buy one and you rent it out mate.

More sensible option surely is to support small businesses as we wont be around otherwise.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12543 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Being fair, I'm with MCRU-Dave on this - it's a business, not a mate or charity...

It's not a huge amount, especially considering what this hobby costs, even doing it with DIY.

One correct way would be to have a group buy of one, which Nick or someone holds and the subscribers can borrow at cost and others rent out for say 20 quid a week + p&p as needed with excess funds going to the costs of running AT (and maybe getting a certificate 8) )
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#12544 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

mainscablesrus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:52 pm You could always buy one and you rent it out mate.

More sensible option surely is to support small businesses as we wont be around otherwise.
True. But your turn will come dave, since Christmas the vintage motorcycle parts guys have had alot of my money. ...But all in a good cause.... for a motorcycle I'll be lucky to ride more than a dozen times once it been restored. But I'm enjoying restoring it.

Your also right about that I could buy one, but also I think my humour has been a little dryer than I intended, looking back at my comments 🙂
My appologies..🙃
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#12545 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

for a motorcycle I'll be lucky to ride more than a dozen times once it been restored.
Though to be fair you will be lucky to ride it once. Not that many riders today can say they have done that.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12546 Laser printer help?

Post by jack »

Need laser printer diagnosis help!!!

Does anyone here really understand colour laser printers? I certainly don't...

I have two really nice Lexmark colour duplex printers (C543dn), but they haven't been well for a while - both have a pinky-grey streaky background - I can upload a photo if required.

Not at all sure what's causing this and I'm reluctant to bin them as they are low mileage, though a bit long in the tooth. When working, they're bloody good.

Might be the cyan developer unit as the background is mainly cyan, but they are 70 quid or thereabouts, so before buying one, I'd like to be reasonably sure...

Ta
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#12547 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:17 pm
for a motorcycle I'll be lucky to ride more than a dozen times once it been restored.
Though to be fair you will be lucky to ride it once. Not that many riders today can say they have done that.
That's true.nick, not thought of it like that.
mind you my 1st few rides are always frought with trepidation, after I've rebuilt what could well turn out to be a death trap...

Been reading up on tls brakes, seems they can be scary if not set up right

Just managed to find a Paul dunstall tls front racing brake, a real blast from the past, just hoping it fits the hub, as with everything thing else I've bought so far, it all seems to require some modifications to fit.
The lathe has been particularly busy these last few weeks
Nick
Site Admin

#12548 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Been reading up on tls brakes, seems they can be scary if not set up right
Full face helmet to protect your chin.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12549 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:42 pm
Just managed to find a Paul dunstall tls front racing brake, a real blast from the past, just hoping it fits the hub, as with everything thing else I've bought so far, it all seems to require some modifications to fit.
The lathe has been particularly busy these last few weeks
Steve, is the Dunstall tls front brake for the Gold Star ?

I believe the Dunstall tls conversion was primarily for the full width Norton hubs.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Michael L
Old Hand

#12550 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

There's something very wonderful about criminals who exploit the most vulnerable being brought to justice.
Jim Browning (not his real name) spends his free time fighting scams. He gained access to computers when scammers were using remote log-in software on his specially configured pc. He even intercepted cctv and voip calls at one call centre in Delhi. He got a friend to fly a drone over the building to locate the office hidden at the rear of the main building.
There was a Panorama programme using his input. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... e-scammers
He has a Youtube channel.
steve s
Shed dweller

#12551 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Steve, is the Dunstall tls front brake for the Gold Star ?

I believe the Dunstall tls conversion was primarily for the full width Norton hubs.
You know your stuff Phil...
I'm very impressed.
It once (in the 60s) had norton roadholder forks and front wheel in it, in the 70s the forks went back to bsa, but the front wheel stayed..
The dunstall conversion is quite hard to find any info about, I found an advert for them, but that's all, they seem to be well regarded though ?
Cheers
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12552 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Do the BSA fork legs have a lug, or bracket, to stop the brake plate rotating ?

My Tri-BSA scrambler has roadholder forks and the Norton full width alloy hub, the brake power is pathetic even with an extended brake arm.

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#12553 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:12 pm Do the BSA fork legs have a lug, or bracket, to stop the brake plate rotating ?

My Tri-BSA scrambler has roadholder forks and the Norton full width alloy hub, the brake power is pathetic even with an extended brake arm.
It does phil, although it will need to be redone for the new to me brake.
I'll get some heavy stainless bar to make it from..

Your comments about the norton brake makes me feel better about going for the tls brake 🙂
Is yours the 8" too? I cant imagine a scrambler having such a big hub

Cheers..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12554 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:01 pm
Your comments about the norton brake makes me feel better about going for the tls brake 🙂
Is yours the 8" too? I cant imagine a scrambler having such a big hub

Cheers..
Yes Steve, 8" hub, but I did machine the fins off, and lightened it a bit.

With the tls brake plate you might be able to set it up in the lathe to make sure the friction linings on the shoes are concentric with the drum.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12555 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Steve, does your brake plate look like the one on this video ?

Edmund Burke