Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13351 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Where should our sympathies lie!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13352 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

The daughter I imagine! :o

Mine:
My 'ancient' (comparatively speaking) iPhone 6 has started not being able to update apps because the OS is too old.

Not going to splash out on the latest so instead I got an 'as new' iPhone 11 Pro (also supposed to be waterproof – yay!)

Arrived yesterday but had put off setting it up as I was not looking forward to the aggro of reisntalling all my apps, contacts, log-ins and so on.

Turned out to be rediculously easy – move SIM to new 'phone (could I find a paperclip? Could I 'ell as like!) – then also turn on old 'phone, enable Bluetooth – then everything is magically dumped across to new 'phone. Proper job! :thumbleft: Somewhat more involved than that (security questions while setting up and suchlike), but that was the basics.

Biggerer, betterer, fasterer! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13353 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

One of my machines has an LGA1151 socket i5-6600.

Although the motherboard has TPM 2.0, the processor is not supported in that it's a 6th Gen processor and there seems to be no Skylake (H107) processor that is acceptable to W11...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ant
Shed dweller

#13354 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Same situation with the i5 in the gaming pc i had built for the kids so no win11 for that machine. Im debating on putting in a new motherboard and processor as the graphics card is still pretty good but its a toss up between upgrading this machine and waiting a while to just build or have built a new one.
Getting hold of new graphics cards is still pretty difficult, and getting hold of the newest consoles is still nigh on impossible though so either option is fraught with frustration.
I read somewhere that sony is considering building a plant to licence build the chipsets they require for their console, perhaps that would help in the long term, but short term its not going to make any odds.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
ed
retired

#13355 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

it seems I'm certified out of date now...
on Saturday last Sebastian asked me if he could run win 11 on his machine...I think what he meant was is it possible...
I said I didn't know, remembering you chaps banging on about TPM or somesuch....

we'elll, yesterday he came and told me he'd fiddled with the bios and engaged something and now his machine can run win11...

I built his machine in Jan/Feb 2020, it is I5-9400f
but I'd no idea what it was capable of, just that I was informed it must run fortnite

I'm feeling more nervous by the day, he's 11 years old and I'm finding it very difficult to know what he knows now..
he'll come to me shortly and ask me to buy win 11 and give me all sorts of justification that I won't be able to refute...

oh waily

as a post script..it didn't take me long to figure fortnite was a nono and he can no longer play it....but what he does play is probably even more suspect..oh waily waily
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13356 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Win 11 is a free upgrade, so if he's asking for money he's having you on...

Meanwhile...

We have a very long wire round our garden - about 500mts of it - it is normally a loop that carries a weak 10.65khz signal that activates a dog collar if the dog gets within about 2mtrs of the wire (it only vibrates, no shock)....

There is a transmitter where the two ends meet which also checks for continuity and warns if the wire is broken.

We recently had our boundary hedges cut (an annual event) - there are about 500 metres of these - some are ancient and deep and the wire is buried in there somewhere...

The hedge cutting team have cut the wire somewhere, but we don't know where...

Anyone got a good way of finding the break(s)? Preferably a tried and tested method.

My initial thought is to inject a decent RF signal at one end and then use a small portable RF field detector/frequency meter to look for wherever the field stops but I haven't selected a frequency or voltage yet as I can't get to the workshops as am in quarantine post knee op which means no walking on grass so even going to the workshop is a no-no. I have one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikkai-RP80- ... 3587223088

Thoughts please, ladies & gentlemen !
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13357 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Go to the transmitter, choose one end of the wire and pull it towards you. When there's no more wire to pull back you'll have where the break in the wire is right in front of you. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13358 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Snigger
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13359 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Brilliant plan. Don't know why I hadn't thought of it already.

I did try connecting it to a 500,000V Tesla coil to see which hedges weren't glowing in the dark, but that didn't work well. On the upside, we now seem to have far fewer of those pesky sparrows and blue tits about...
Ray P

#13360 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Perhaps it wasn't the hedge trimmers - could be that the dog is hatching a cunning plan.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13361 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:24 pm Perhaps it wasn't the hedge trimmers - could be that the dog is hatching a cunning plan.
Can't have been that cunning a plan. The dog is chewed to pieces.

£120 quid later after a trip to the vet's, she's a bit perkier having had a load of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

I do have a time-domain reflectometer which could probably be tuned to this wire, so that might work...
PXL_20211019_171344040_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20211019_171344040_copy_756x1008.jpg (248.01 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
Ray P

#13362 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Ouch! Was her predicament down to the hedge trimmers too?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13363 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 pm Ouch! Was her predicament down to the hedge trimmers too?
Picking fight with badger or fox... She got out of the garden into neighboring fields and chose the wrong opponent...
Ray P

#13364 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:28 pm Picking fight with badger or fox...
She looks like a tough cookie so hopefully no lasting harm done.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13365 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

jack wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:58 pm Brilliant plan. Don't know why I hadn't thought of it already.

I did try connecting it to a 500,000V Tesla coil to see which hedges weren't glowing in the dark, but that didn't work well. On the upside, we now seem to have far fewer of those pesky sparrows and blue tits about...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."