Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13171 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:26 pm I can't find Market Boswell - which country is it in?
You must remember the Battle of Market Boswell, Andrew ? - it was narrated by Phil Collins .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13172 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh that Market Boswell as narrated by Phil Collins erm, of course ...

Boswell Field, my kingdom for a horse sort of thing? Poor old Richard the Second, ended up buried in a car park in Leicester.

Who's Phil Collins? 'old on .... I think I can ... ear its coming in me hair tonight - disgusting!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#13173 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:56 pm Boswell Field, my kingdom for a horse sort of thing? Poor old Richard the Second, ended up buried in a car park in Leicester.
'Twas Richard III
Chris :happy3:
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13174 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

The Stratmangler wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 pm
andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:56 pm Boswell Field, my kingdom for a horse sort of thing? Poor old Richard the Second, ended up buried in a car park in Leicester.
'Twas Richard III
Or, as we referred to The Bard's play, Dick Sh*t
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#13175 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It was deliberate - you lot in the back row, wake up! Oh who cares.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#13176 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:10 pm It was deliberate - you lot in the back row, wake up! Oh who cares.
I don't, and neither does my wife, Brian!
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

#13177 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Neat.

My mum, like my dad were communists so, I guess, you could say me and my sister were brought up badly. Mum was a history teacher. Her teaching room in the beautiful ancient Shaw House Secondary Modern School for Girls was Charles 1st's bedroom during the first, second or third Battle of Newbury. There was even a plaque on the wall drawing the visitor's attention to a 'bullet hole' caused by a lone roundhead having a pot at le roi before breakfast. Mum was more interested in the Soviet Union and China. However, bizarrely, one of her heroes, and she had a few, was Richard the third.

Anyway...lost the plot. Anna and I have just got back from The Flower Pot's first music night. Lots of young'uns singing Smiths and Oasis and the house band getting down to some gorgeous funk rock stuff - tight.
Might have to dust down a Strat and require the yoof of Beds to consider Jimi.
ed
retired

#13178 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

tis my belief that Richard iii got a really bad press and was blamed for all the bad things Henry vii did..
I remember reading a book by Josephine Tey when I was a young chap, the gist of which has stayed with me, so that most everything I read about him historically seems bs.

to my mind a perfect example of history being written by the victors, complete fiction.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

#13179 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The Daughter of Time!

Richard, ' a man more sinned against than sinning' to paraphrase a playwright who was talking about another King at the time.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13180 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Pleased to see that that creep Bezos is unlikely to get his "Astronaut wings" as the FAA have tightened the rules...

Apart from the whole dubious morality of space tourism, it would totally devalue the achievements of genuine astronauts to hand out equal recognition to someone in an armchair.

The FAA are apparently considering a badge for "Space tourist". Just about right. I'm thinking a little china money box with "Greetings from the Kármán line" on it in gothic script...
andrew Ivimey

#13181 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Bit of a cheesy bastard eh! Has he ever said hevwas into ecology or being a useful human being though?
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13182 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

After close to 2500 days of uptime one of the disks (2Tb WD Red) in my QNAP NAS is reporting a couple of bad blocks - that's not a bad run for the money. The second disk checks out fine and I'm not overly concerned in the short term because I have the data mirrored (and backed up) - I only use the NAS for media files nowadays with everything else on MS OneDrive or Google Drive and for that the performance of the NAS is more than adequate and I have plenty of space available on the drive in spite of my growing collection of DSD256 albums.

I'm now asking myself whether to just buy a replacement disk or if it's time to replace the NAS too. My inclination is just the disk as the NAS box is performinng well and is fit for purpose and down the line I can plug the disks into a replacement NAS 'box' should the need arise.

If I were to replace the NAS I would consider another QNAP as my experience with this one has been good - I guess the obvious alternative is Synology.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Ray P on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13183 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I've used both and prefer Synology, which I'm running at the moment - there are two, mirroring each other in different buildings with a Unifi bridge between them.

I've used Synology professionally too and always found them solid and reliable. One nice thing is they use the same s/w for all their devices, so even the low end stuff is full featured.
Last edited by jack on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max N
Old Hand

#13184 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

I use Synology and have been happy with it until yesterday. They rolled out an update to Perl which broke LMS, and there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to recover from it. I will probably move to a Raspberry Pi for LMS, so not the end of the world.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13185 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

ed wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:08 am tis my belief that Richard iii got a really bad press and was blamed for all the bad things Henry vii did..
I remember reading a book by Josephine Tey when I was a young chap, the gist of which has stayed with me, so that most everything I read about him historically seems bs.

to my mind a perfect example of history being written by the victors, complete fiction.
That portrait of him showing he had a hump and shifty squinty eyes? All faked – was a fascinating TV prog a few years ago about it, they X-rayed the painting and found the real Richard underneath. 'Photoshop-ed' (or the oil painting equivalent) lies added on top later. Also he was very good to his peasants, apparently, cared about their welfare and wotnot. An all round jolly good egg. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."